Pre-Game Talk: Week to Vanish (WAS, @NSH, @DET)

Will Girard play in Detroit (his 10th game)

• Yes

Votes: 49 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
I would scratch Nieto, I fear he is this season's Colborne, hat trick and done. I would put Wilson in his spot with Soda and Conway.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The problem is that players like Nieto/Wilson bring sandpaper and can PK, while a guy like Yak would essentially get no special teams time with Jost/Kamenev/Soderberg in there.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The least useful forward (outside of Bourque and Grimaldi) is Yak unfortunately but if we start sitting him we might as well ask him to pack his bags because he's never getting out of that hole. He'll never be better than he is now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd scratch Nieto for now. Wilson isn't bringing "nothing" to the table at all. He's a solid PKer, a good 2-way guy and a decent body in front of the net for the PP2 unit.

Landy - Mack - Rants
Sven - Compher - Kerfoot
Yak - Kamenev - Jost
Wilson - Soda - Comeau

Zads - EJ
Girard - Barrie
Barbie - Bigras

That's what I would role with. Rotate the scratches between Yak, Nieto, Bourque, Comeau, and Wilson as guys start to look tired or start seeing a drop in play.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Landy - Mack - Rants
Sven - Compher - Kerfoot
Yak - Kamenev - Jost
Wilson - Soda - Comeau

Zads - EJ
Girard - Barrie
Barbie - Bigras

Scary looking third line.

Zero proven defensive abilities, three kids mashed together; one of them a chicken with his head cut off, one of them yet to play a game for us, and the other returning from injury with 12 games of NHL experience. Yikes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Scary looking third line.

Zero proven defensive abilities, three kids mashed together; one of them a chicken with his head cut off, one of them yet to play a game for us, and the other returning from injury with 12 games of NHL experience. Yikes.

Meh. Jost is a solid two way player and has already shown that at the NHL this year. The Avs are at home so Bednar can choose the favorable matchups for these guys. Give Soda's line the tough assignments, and let that 3rd line match up against Washingtons Bottom 6 lines and 3rd D pairing all game.

I think they'd do quite well with that chance and more importantly we'd get to see what Kamenev and Jost can do in an offensive role.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I get that Wilson has been pretty "meh" since he arrived but he's capable of much more than he's shown thus far. Remember, he just returned from injury. I imagine once things shake out he'll be a regular presence on the 3rd line. Injuries really threw the lineup outta whack.

I agree Nieto should be the one to sit. He's a 4th line energy guy, not much more than that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wilson was fine before his injury. He's a lock in IMO, I don't think he'll be part of any rotation.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wilson was fine before his injury. He's a lock in IMO, I don't think he'll be part of any rotation.

Hes fine I just wish he wasnt on the PP. I get why he is but he hasnt shown to be very effective in front of the net because we dont have a real credible threat from the point for him to matter on the PP.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Not that we are having trouble scoring right now, but id definitely like to see more crashing the net and screening the goalie, especially on the PP. The PP has been ok but it seems to spend too much time with everyone on the perimeter which lets the goalie see shots a lot more.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yak is underrated and would probably do well in the KHL. He is missing the defensive play and awareness necessary for a NHL player though, hopefully he finds it.

Omark is another example, currently 9'th in scoring in the entire KHL but obviously wasn't good enough for the Oilers at time where they hade huge problems in general. Why? Answer: His poor defensive play and defensive awareness, his lack of size didn't help either.

I believe it has more to do with some players having difficulties adopting to the hockey played in NA, pure skill isn't a problem for these two guys, that's for sure. Sometimes it may look weird though where we have guys on top ten in scoring in the KHL not good enough for NHL, it's rather common though and it will happen again.

Also these are not #3 or #4 line players and when they get stuck there it gets even worse, downhill.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

Fantastic news, cool.

"Kamenev played three games for the Rampage after being traded by Nashville, with four assists and a plus-2."

I feel like he has proved a number of times now being ready for a bigger league. I simply can't see Kamenev back in AHL, it would surprise me, it's NHL or KHL for him, at least looking one year ahead.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I like Nieto as a bottom six PKer with a motor, but sitting him for a few games while Wilson shakes the dust off is fine by me. Wilson has had a slow start but I think he's a bigger scoring threat and provides most of the same two-way benefits.

But yeah, anybody but Yak. Burst his confidence bubble and he'll go down in flames. Let him play and be a secondary scoring guy, it's what he was brought in to be and he's doing just fine at it so far. If he could do everything well, he'd have been a worthy 1OA pick, it's not like we all expected him to become a well rounded player here. Just pot some goals and pump up the team with his enthusiasm.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd honestly scratch Compher. It takes a lot for me to say that since you all know my love for him. But I just don't see the need of rushing a guy like that into playing when he's not healthy. He looks very uncomfortable with the puck on his stick right now and rightfully so. Let him work like a dog in practice, play with some pucks here and there but keep him out of the lineup until the cast comes off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad