Pre-Game Talk: Week of speculation (Chi, @Ana, @SJ)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If Varley is expected to be out long term, I'd rather we either find a cheap backup for Picks or use one of the guys we bought for the AHL instead of Martin. As excited as I am about him, I'm worried that playing in front of this team will hurt his development. It's too early to do that to him, even if the team wasn't giving up high-danger chances every few minutes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not sure Martin is here to stay for good. He's going to need to play and even a couple starts here or there isn't going to be enough. I wonder if he stays until the AS break, goes back down, plays in the AHL ASG still and then Smith comes up after if they still are shutting Varly down. I think those two will rotate for a bit. My concern is Martin playing, not so much playing in front of this team. So perhaps Martin gets a start before the AS break, which would be nice.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This Varly situation is gonna turn into a Pavelec, a constant sieve when he starts and never re-capturing old form. Hopefully the next GM is able to bury his contract or get it moved somehow or we're looking at another handicap going forward.

Spencer Martin isn't an emotionally fragile child, give him a few games in the NHL otherwise he's gonna have to jump into the backup position cold turkey next season.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
This Varly situation is gonna turn into a Pavelec, a constant sieve when he starts and never re-capturing old form. Hopefully the next GM is able to bury his contract or get it moved somehow or we're looking at another handicap going forward.

Spencer Martin isn't an emotionally fragile child, give him a few games in the NHL otherwise he's gonna have to jump into the backup position cold turkey next season.

...so how many other people are expecting Martin (who will be 22yo at that time) to be the back-up next season?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
...so how many other people are expecting Martin (who will be 22yo at that time) to be the back-up next season?

I'm not. I can't fathom a scenario in which the Varlamov will get selected by Vegas in the Expansion Draft, and at the way Pickard's played this year, I am not confident he will either.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Fun stat. If every other team keeps their current pace Avs have to go 26-13-0 to finish 28th in the league.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well there's a very good chance Pickard will get a majority of games from now on so he'll have a chance to work on putting together consecutive good starts.

What is up with that anyways, as I've always seen the mental side of the game as a strength for Pickard.

Also I'm wondering how much this team has a goalie coach around now days? I know Alaire has an assistant that travels around, but it just seems like without Roy the focus on goalie development isn't as much of a conversation anymore.

Is that just because there is other stuff going on, or is the organization getting lackadaisical regarding goalie coaching again?

Maybe this is something I should ask AJ @ BSN? It would suck if we slipped back into the dark ages of goalie development again, as that was one of the bright spots of Roy's tenure with Alaire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad