Pre-Game Talk: Week of speculation (Chi, @Ana, @SJ)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
58907_arnold-schwarzenegger-movies-predator-dutch-carl-weathers.gif

SO0g7nd.gif

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
After tonight, there are 5 games this season which have either been Varlamov's 3rd start in a row or his 4th (he only started 4 in a row one time this season). His GAA on those 5 games is a 3.80 and his save percentage is well below .900.

I've been saying this going back to last season, he ***** the bed whenever he gets 3 starts in a row and isn't a starting goalie anymore. How much more do they need? Are they trying to up his trade value or something or just don't see this? Just give it to Pickard already sheesh.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
After tonight, there are 5 games this season which have either been Varlamov's 3rd start in a row or his 4th (he only started 4 in a row one time this season). His GAA on those 5 games is a 3.80 and his save percentage is well below .900.

I've been saying this going back to last season, he ***** the bed whenever he gets 3 starts in a row and isn't a starting goalie anymore. How much more do they need? Are they trying to up his trade value or something or just don't see this? Just give it to Pickard already sheesh.

Pickard has hardly done better this season on consecutive games. Honestly, neither of the goalies are the problem. It's that they're being hung out to dry by this garbage defense. You put Patrick Roy behind this defense and he'd be getting shredded too. There are just too many catastrophic mistakes happening every game, it could have easily been 9-4 tonight the way we were turning pucks over. I really don't think we should judge either goalie by how they play this season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Tried that, failed miserably as well.

Neither goalie has been good this season

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Another injury? Ah well. It's not like he was helping the team anyways.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Leave because he couldn't be bothered to put in the same effort as a goalie his same age? I think we're good there :D

LOL, no

Passing out due to dehydration in his first NHL start.

Edit : It just popped into my mind because I imagine Martin as so young, that the idea of starting behind this team should be scary as hell.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It seems like whenever Varly has a bad game or set of games, the Avs always come out and say that he has an injury. That may very well be the case, but sometimes it appears like they are trying to protect him. Looking at his body language on the ice recently, he looks shot mentally. No confidence. Maybe that is due to an injury, I just don't know.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It seems like whenever Varly has a bad game or set of games, the Avs always come out and say that he has an injury. That may very well be the case, but sometimes it appears like they are trying to protect him. Looking at his body language on the ice recently, he looks shot mentally. No confidence. Maybe that is due to an injury, I just don't know.

Bednar said he hasn't 100% for either the whole season or most of it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Bednar said he hasn't 100% for either the whole season or most of it.

In all reality, Varly will probably never be 100% again. You can only pull your groin so many times before it is pretty much shot. I'd bet Varly is close or past that point. Two things are probably going to have to happen for Varly to regain his form... find a damn treatment that works so he can get completely healthy (no idea what is even possible there), and change his goaltending style to rely less on tearing his groin apart to make saves.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Leave because he couldn't be bothered to put in the same effort as a goalie his same age? I think we're good there :D

Take this what this is worth, but my "friend" at the university claims that he is very good friends with Aittokallio. Well, they're the same age and from the same city so it is possible. But anyway, we talked about Sami at the autumn of 2014, and he claimed to me that Aittokallio did not receive any info about the Allaires summer camp and therefore didn't participate.

I found it hard to believe then, I have hard to believe it now. But thats what he claimed happened with Sami and Avs.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
LOL, no

Passing out due to dehydration in his first NHL start.

Edit : It just popped into my mind because I imagine Martin as so young, that the idea of starting behind this team should be scary as hell.

63_finska_pinnar.jpg

This cookie is called Finsk Pinne. In English it's translated to "Finnish stick". That's always popped into my mind thinking of him lying there on the ice without moving.

Not when it happened of course because we didn't know if it was serious or not but afterwards.

Aittikallio will always be a Finsk Pinne to me.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
In all reality, Varly will probably never be 100% again. You can only pull your groin so many times before it is pretty much shot. I'd bet Varly is close or past that point. Two things are probably going to have to happen for Varly to regain his form... find a damn treatment that works so he can get completely healthy (no idea what is even possible there), and change his goaltending style to rely less on tearing his groin apart to make saves.

It'll definitely be an interesting to see how he manages.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Shut Varly down for the rest of the season. Find him a doctor/trainer that can properly heal his groin. No sense in him playing another game this season just to injure it further

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Shut Varly down for the rest of the season. Find him a doctor/trainer that can properly heal his groin. No sense in him playing another game this season just to injure it further

This is agree with. The season is fully lost and it's a good way to let him heal and to see what we have in Pickard.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This is agree with. The season is fully lost and it's a good way to let him heal and to see what we have in Pickard.

As long as they don't start Pickard ten games in a row again. Really messed him up. It's hard enough to start one game behind these bums.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
How often is Allaire working with the goalies this season? My fear was that he was going to basically checkout when Roy left but I haven't heard/read anything about him this season. He supposedly was telling Roy who to start the last few years but I doubt that is still happening...any info?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad