NCAA: Week 6: A Red River Runs Through It

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It can’t be surprising at this point. You know if you hire Mario the recruiting will be great but you are 100% losing games you shouldn’t because he is an awful coach.
No timeouts for GT. 41 seconds left. QB could have gotten the snap and ran back a few yards to chew up a couple of seconds. Then no need to run the 4th down play before the play clock expires.

Reactions: MM917

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Arizona can play a little bit but they shouldn’t be in overtime vs. USC. Trash bag defense.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
@GKJ rewatched the Texas game.

I don't think it was overly bad coaching. Quinn's first pick was f***ing horrific. His second was unlucky.

Couple things that stood out:

It was reported we had a huge advantage on the lines of scrimmage. Absolutely not. We got whooped, on both sides. which was kinda shocking, this was part of the reason I was confident in a win.

Texas Safeties seem slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. They got a lot better when the freshman 5* from Louisiana came in. Even back up that was a walk on Taaffee, is faster than the starters.

Quinn did well without help from Sark, play calling seemed rough at times.

Once again the red zone issues killed us. It was boring play calls, but I can't get mad at a coach for thinking his team should score once on 3 tries from the 1 yard line. That's more so execution than the play call.

That was PK's worst game here since his first year. I thought he'd be able to handle the veer and shoot, but absolutely not.

The only coaching thing I had a huge issue was the 4th and 3 block punt call. It was dumb and turned into 3 points for OU.

TLDR:
Pk sucked, Sark kinda sucked. Texas can still win the big 12 title.

Reactions: GKJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
@GKJ rewatched the Texas game.

I don't think it was overly bad coaching. Quinn's first pick was f***ing horrific. His second was unlucky.

Couple things that stood out:

It was reported we had a huge advantage on the lines of scrimmage. Absolutely not. We got whooped, on both sides. which was kinda shocking, this was part of the reason I was confident in a win.

Texas Safeties seem slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. They got a lot better when the freshman 5* from Louisiana came in. Even back up that was a walk on Taaffee, is faster than the starters.

Quinn did well without help from Sark, play calling seemed rough at times.

Once again the red zone issues killed us. It was boring play calls, but I can't get mad at a coach for thinking his team should score once on 3 tries from the 1 yard line. That's more so execution than the play call.

That was PK's worst game here since his first year. I thought he'd be able to handle the veer and shoot, but absolutely not.

The only coaching thing I had a huge issue was the 4th and 3 block punt call. It was dumb and turned into 3 points for OU.

TLDR:
Pk sucked, Sark kinda sucked. Texas can still win the big 12 title.
The way they got blown up twice on first and second down, I think you gotta call something that puts the ball in the hands of the quarterback and make them have to stretch out and defend and not wait until 4th down when you basically have to do that.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
The way they got blown up twice on first and second down, I think you gotta call something that puts the ball in the hands of the quarterback and make them have to stretch out and defend and not wait until 4th down when you basically have to do that.
Yeah it was really bad. Not making injury excuses but losing our star TE and 4th year starter at C probably sucked as well.

I'm not gonna get overly down though. Texas has their best start since like 2009 and should (keyword) win out to the big 12 title game. So the loss stinks, but they can still realistically accomplish everything I expected this season.

I was just stunned at how bad our OL played. These guys made OU look like prime Bama.

Offence is fine for me for the most part. Defence REALLY let me down. This isn't the Lincoln Riley OU offence and we made it seem that way at times.

Maybe it's me being a homer, but Texas played a pretty bad game with 3 turnovers and lots of penalties for OU to beat us on a last minute drive. With us going on a bye week, I feel pretty confident in Texas for the rest of the year.

As long as we don't lose Worthy/Quinn/Sanders for an extended period of time. I'd say we probably win the big 12 title

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Texas drops another game before the big 12 title though, I'm going back to school and getting a certificate from Georgia or something

Reactions: GKJ

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
As some of you know, I am a FSU fan. I went there for graduate school and have cheered for them in NCAA football since I was 8 or 9 years old, which was before we won our first title. So as you can probably guess, I bear exactly ZERO love for the Miami Hurricanes football program. It's nowhere near how I feel about that team in Gainesville, but I don't like the U's football team.

The last minute or so of that game...if you think I feel even the slightest, tiniest ounce of schadenfreude you are dead wrong. Not just because I believe that what goes around comes around, not just because FSU has suffered plenty of heartbreak to Miami's benefit and I've been consoled by a U fan afterwards, not just because I have this feeling they are going to beat us this year...none of that. I had no idea I could genuinely and 100% honestly feel bad for Miami fans but it's completely true. I feel bad and I'm angry for them...as a rival even!

All they had to do was KNEEL THE f***ING BALL! You are guaranteed to win BY NOT RUNNING REAL OFFENSIVE PLAYS! Once, in college, I drank 9 giant Long Island Iced Teas on an empty stomach in less than 45 minutes while weighing 160 lbs...EVEN THAT WAS A BETTER DECISION! And then for the defense to come out even more limp-dicked than me when I was scared to bang this girl that SAT ON MY LAP AND STARTED LICKING MY NECK OUT OF THE BLUE AT A PARTY...inexcusable. There is no justification, no reasoning, no excuse. None.

It is incomprehensible. I am simply dumbfounded.

EDIT: if this happened to UF I would not have this reaction. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Mario, man.....

This is not something you should be known for. This type of thing should happen like once a decade to one random coach or something. Much less you, as a single individual coach, getting known for this?!?!?
I will never get over this loss. They could still pull some now unexpected wins this season. But I still will never get over this.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanthersPens62

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I know Riley is allergic to defence in his systems but my goodness USC has the worst D I’ve seen in a lonnngggggg time. They’re undefeated but they deserve to be nowhere near the playoff conversation. Guys out there look like they don’t give a f###

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I know Riley is allergic to defence in his systems but my goodness USC has the worst D I’ve seen in a lonnngggggg time. They’re undefeated but they deserve to be nowhere near the playoff conversation. Guys out there look like they don’t give a f###
I said this somewhere else but I’m convinced he wants to have the worst defence possible to stat pad

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
The U is holding on to the #25 spot in the latest AP poll. Still enough big games left to make this a very successful season. But Mario needs to be MUCH better as this season could also spiral into another 5 loss or more debacle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
IMG_6688.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad