NCAA: Week 13: It’s all about the Game, and how you play it.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
They also killed Tennessee and Oregon. They arent as good as last year especially defensively but Michigan barely squeaked by Illinois(at home) and struggled with Maryland. Give Kirby a month and I dont see Michigan beating them. That is why they play the games though.
South Carolina killed Tennessee, a win over Tennessee literally means nothing at this point. Tennessee's whole season rested on them finally beating Alabama again. Oregon just sucks, Bo Nix sucks, the Pac 12 sucks. Michigan would easily be UGA's biggest test, and my original reply was about you saying UGA would destroy them. They very well could, as you say, that's why they play the games, but the empirical evidence shows that probably would not happen and that Michigan could in fact actually win. It will be interesting to see because I can see both struggling in their conference championship games. This is just such a weird year.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Aggie fans gotta be wondering where the hell was this team back in September
hope they offer Jimbo an extension.

A total mind-f*** for A&M fans/boosters and a crushing blow to Brian Kelly. That's a win for me, dawg.

Seems like if USC, TCU and Michigan all clinch their conferences those are your 3 playoff teams along with Georgia who is already in. USC and TCU could certainly lose, while Michigan I very highly doubt will lose.

I like the way you think.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
With USC playing Utah on Friday night in Vegas, TCU could be in a position where they get in with a close loss to Kansas St. If USC loses, TCU should be in regardless, and even with a Trojan win they may not be eliminated if they lose on like the final play or something, as.they'd be 12-1 and the committee would have to decide between them and an OSU team that hasn't looked that great recently(against some mediocre competition no less, aside from Michigan). The committee has been fairly resolute in not allowing any 2.loss teams in, and can't see that changing this year if there's a 2 loss Pac-12 champ or Bama, so if USC loses it should seal it up.for TCU, win or lose.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
With USC playing Utah on Friday night in Vegas, TCU could be in a position where they get in with a close loss to Kansas St. If USC loses, TCU should be in regardless, and even with a Trojan win they may not be eliminated if they lose on like the final play or something, as.they'd be 12-1 and the committee would have to decide between them and an OSU team that hasn't looked that great recently(against some mediocre competition no less, aside from Michigan). The committee has been fairly resolute in not allowing any 2.loss teams in, and can't see that changing this year if there's a 2 loss Pac-12 champ or Bama, so if USC loses it should seal it up.for TCU, win or lose.
I don’t think TCU can lose. Ohio State has 1 loss, they will get in

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I don’t think TCU can lose. Ohio State has 1 loss, they will get in
TCU will also have only one loss if they lose. Ohio St. showed that they are nothing special with dismal performances against NW, not great vs Maryland, and were dismantled by Michigan. They beat two teams of any merit, Notre Dame and Penn St. They faced a butter soft schedule outside of those 3 games and won't be playing for a major conference title. TCU, should they lose a very close extra game to a ranked opponent, shouldn't necessarily be penalized for that. They'll have an extra win as well. Neither team has looked that amazing, but TCU losing a close Big 12 title game to a close to top 10 K-State team shouldn't necessarily eliminate them because it's Ohio St.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
TCU will also have only one loss if they lose. Ohio St. showed that they are nothing special with dismal performances against NW, not great vs Maryland, and were dismantled by Michigan. They beat two teams of any merit, Notre Dame and Penn St. They faced a butter soft schedule outside of those 3 games and won't be playing for a major conference title. TCU, should they lose a very close extra game to a ranked opponent, shouldn't necessarily be penalized for that. They'll have an extra win as well. Neither team has looked that amazing, but TCU losing a close Big 12 title game to a close to top 10 K-State team shouldn't necessarily eliminate them because it's Ohio St.
TCU hasn’t been anything special either, in a conference that’s clearly worse. And they haven’t beaten anyone better than Ohio State has, nor will they have lost to anyone better than Ohio State has.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Ohio St. would make it in over a 1 loss TCU. Can’t forget about the ratings and money they’d bring in.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
South Carolina killed Tennessee, a win over Tennessee literally means nothing at this point. Tennessee's whole season rested on them finally beating Alabama again. Oregon just sucks, Bo Nix sucks, the Pac 12 sucks. Michigan would easily be UGA's biggest test, and my original reply was about you saying UGA would destroy them. They very well could, as you say, that's why they play the games, but the empirical evidence shows that probably would not happen and that Michigan could in fact actually win. It will be interesting to see because I can see both struggling in their conference championship games. This is just such a weird year.
I agree with you, I was just impressed how Georgia just shut down Tennessee's offense. There was play early on in the Orange Bowl last season when one of the Georgia dlineman ran down one of either Michigan's running backs or receiver. I knew from that point that Michigan didnt have the athleticism and this wouldnt be close. Think we know early this year too if they play.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
TCU hasn’t been anything special either, in a conference that’s clearly worse. And they haven’t beaten anyone better than Ohio State has, nor will they have lost to anyone better than Ohio State has.
The Big 10 has 3 teams that are anything. The Big 12 hasn't had a great year either, but the Big 10 is a joke outside of 3 of 14 teams.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Ohio St. would make it in over a 1 loss TCU. Can’t forget about the ratings and money they’d bring in.
Ultimately I probably agree, but Ohio St. shouldn't be some lock because they feasted on a weak Big 10, beat two teams of any note that between them have maybe one quality win, and get to sit on their asses next week because they were clownpounded at home by Michigan. TCU, because they did go undefeated, now has to beat a quality opponent for a 2nd time on a neutral field and say they lose 28-27 or on a last play fg, that's it you're done. It won't surprise me because I've long since known the committee is a joke and only gets themselves off more to the idea of Bama in than Ohio St., but it shouldn't be a lock.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Big 10 has 3 teams that are anything. The Big 12 hasn't had a great year either, but the Big 10 is a joke outside of 3 of 14 teams.
Illinois has been good most of the year, especially on defense, and Penn State is going to be a top 10 team. Ohio State also has a win on Notre Dame

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Illinois has been good most of the year, especially on defense, and Penn State is going to be a top 10 team. Ohio State also has a win on Notre Dame
You mean the Illinois that lost 3 or 4 straight to mostly meh opponents and then got a freebie vs NW....not even good enough to win the laughably bad Big 10 West.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You mean the Illinois that lost 3 or 4 straight to mostly meh opponents and then got a freebie vs NW....not even good enough to win the laughably bad Big 10 West.
No one’s ever ‘good enough’ to win that division with the east so top heavy but Illinois was ranked for a long time, the committee obviously likes them. Not everyone can have 10 wins.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
No one’s ever ‘good enough’ to win that division with the east so top heavy but Illinois was ranked for a long time, the committee obviously likes them. Not everyone can have 10 wins.
They were ranked because they were x-1 from a major conference, which usually gets a team ranked by the midway point. Their best win is either Minnesota or Iowa, and they fell apart and aren't ranked now. They're not a strong team to boost some case that the Big 10 is some superior conference.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They were ranked because they were x-1 from a major conference, which usually gets a team ranked by the midway point. Their best win is either Minnesota or Iowa, and they fell apart and aren't ranked now. They're not a strong team to boost some case that the Big 10 is some superior conference.
The case to make that the Big Ten is better is that every time we get to the playoff, the Big 12 gets their doors blown off, until proven otherwise. The best teams are still the best teams, this is a very top-heavy sport.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The case to make that the Big Ten is better is that every time we get to the playoff, the Big 12 gets their doors blown off, until proven otherwise. The best teams are still the best teams, this is a very top-heavy sport.
Previous results mean nothing for this year, and lol at the Big 10 doing jack in the playoffs outside of the initial year. Past results mean nothing for this year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Previous results mean nothing for this year, and lol at the Big 10 doing jack in the playoffs outside of the initial year. Past results mean nothing for this year.
Simply not true. They always mean something, that’s why the SEC always has someone in the championship game who can afford a loss there. Cincinnati needed to build their resume over 2 years to get in.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
USC is #4 in the AP poll.

To be honest, I'm more nervous about facing Utah again than if we had to play Oregon or Washington. Whittingham is probably the best coach in the conference, and he'll have a good game plan to play us a 2nd time. We saw what he did to Oregon last year. Twice.

Anyways, we're just happy to be in this situation. Even the most optimistic USC fan wouldn't have expected us to be in the discussion for the CFP and a potential Heisman in Lincoln Riley's first year. We're just glad to be competitive again, after the dark years with Clay Helton.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Is it just me or is it inherently unfair competition-wise to wait a month for the playoffs? It really dampens the semis and final. The SFs especially seem to be won by whatever team can shake off the rust better.

Who wouldn't like to see Georgia/Mich. play right now in an outdoor stadium with some dirty weather.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan/Ohio State game was the highest rated regular season game since the Alabama/LSU 9-6 Game of the Century

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad