NCAA GDT: Week 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 51464

So I believe K-State just went an entire decade without losing to Kansas. Well done Wildcats :clap:
They did that last year. This was #11.

It's crazy that even with that, they'd still need almost another quarter century added to pull ahead in the overall series record. Both teams really seem to enjoy being doormats for decades at a time. Lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They did that last year. This was #11.

It's crazy that even with that, they'd still need almost another quarter century added to pull ahead in the overall series record. Both teams really seem to enjoy being doormats for decades at a time. Lol
That's actually really strange to think about, because outside of a few years around 2008, I've only known Kansas to be bad.

member 51464

That's actually really strange to think about, because outside of a few years around 2008, I've only known Kansas to be bad.

It is more that Kansas State was arguably the worst D1 football program for the entirety of its existence before Bill Snyder arrived whereas Kansas historically was just an also-ran who was generally a .500 team that would have a decent season or two every decade like going 12-1 with an Orange Bowl win in 2007 or 10-2 with an Aloha Bowl win in 1995.

This past decade was the worst one in the history of Kansas football. Right after Mangino left, the Jayhawks had an all-time winning record (15 games over .500). They even had a slightly all-time winning record before his run there, actually.

KSU, on the other hand, has been under .500 since 1947 and had a 28 game losing stream from 1945 to 1948, a couple of 18 and 17 game losing streaks on the 60s.

K-State has definitely had the more successful program over the last 20 years with a whole plethora of 10+ win seasons and bowl success. That and their dominance of Kansas I think makes a lot of folks forget just how bad K-State was for so long. The Wildcats were the Jayhawks of the last decade, but from the mid-30's until the early 90's!

Though I will note I did the math wrong earlier. If the Wildcats win all of the Sunflower showdowns through 2036, they will finally lead in the series for the first time ever!

I think the best summation of the state of the programs is this: The Wildcats have had 8 10+ win seasons since 1997. The Jayhawks have had 4 10+ win seasons ever. Yet the Jayhawks still have 55 more wins than the Wildcats and only 7 more losses, even after their past decade of futility.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Lsu Alabama pits two 8-0 teams against each other. There'd be complaints if they DIDN'T go there

Minnesota and Penn State are also both 8-0. I think the only complaints would come from the Alabama fans and the SEC! SEC! SEC! crowd, the rest of the college football world would have been okay with going somewhere new.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
AL is a TD favorite. / There are 41 bowl games counting the playoffs. I could live with 20.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It is more that Kansas State was arguably the worst D1 football program for the entirety of its existence before Bill Snyder arrived whereas Kansas historically was just an also-ran who was generally a .500 team that would have a decent season or two every decade like going 12-1 with an Orange Bowl win in 2007 or 10-2 with an Aloha Bowl win in 1995.

This past decade was the worst one in the history of Kansas football. Right after Mangino left, the Jayhawks had an all-time winning record (15 games over .500). They even had a slightly all-time winning record before his run there, actually.

KSU, on the other hand, has been under .500 since 1947 and had a 28 game losing stream from 1945 to 1948, a couple of 18 and 17 game losing streaks on the 60s.

K-State has definitely had the more successful program over the last 20 years with a whole plethora of 10+ win seasons and bowl success. That and their dominance of Kansas I think makes a lot of folks forget just how bad K-State was for so long. The Wildcats were the Jayhawks of the last decade, but from the mid-30's until the early 90's!

Though I will note I did the math wrong earlier. If the Wildcats win all of the Sunflower showdowns through 2036, they will finally lead in the series for the first time ever!

I think the best summation of the state of the programs is this: The Wildcats have had 8 10+ win seasons since 1997. The Jayhawks have had 4 10+ win seasons ever. Yet the Jayhawks still have 55 more wins than the Wildcats and only 7 more losses, even after their past decade of futility.

Appreciate the history lesson. Jayhawks also own the NCAA record for ties with 58.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
And already they're looking at Mark Stoops. Don't do it Mark, stay in Kentucky, you'll be coach for life there.

From one mediocre coach out of his depth at FSU to another. I don't get why these big programs seem to constantly whiff with terrible coach choices.

Reactions: Roman Fell

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Thats bizarre. Not really surprised though, a few years ago during College Gameday ESPN ran a segment about the SEC coaches wives, she was in it and she was really close to some of the players apparently.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes