Eastern 2nd round set to start before the end of Western 1st round.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Incredibly odd and I can't recall this ever happened. Enlighten me if am wrong.

Maybe that just me but it doesn't feel right.
Happened in the bubble. It's not really a big deal, no reason to delay the playoffs for the last game especially when so many series ended early

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Both the Rangers and Knicks have home advantage.

The ability to schedule quickly from one series to another is why the league moved to a bracket schedule

Reactions: Summer Rose

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Incredibly odd and I can't recall this ever happened. Enlighten me if am wrong.

Maybe that just me but it doesn't feel right.
Arena availsbility

Ny, boston, denver have nba and nhl teams still alive in the playoffs.

NBA has dont it. I have no problem in it. Both teams were off much of the week

Both ny teams have higher seed thus direct conflicts in dates can occur.

If Vegas wins similar issue in denver where both their teams will be the higher seed.

Boston its opposite with celts higher seed and home team vs Bruins being road team

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Arena availsbility

Ny, boston, denver have nba and nhl teams still alive in the playoffs.

NBA has dont it. I have no problem in it. Both teams were off much of the week

Both ny teams have higher seed thus direct conflicts in dates can occur.

If Vegas wins similar issue in denver where both their teams will be the higher seed.

Boston its opposite with celts higher seed and home team vs Bruins being road team
Vancouver's building also has a concert on Sunday afaik, otherwise I imagine they would have started then.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Happening this year due to the awful scheduling in the last week of the season..

Some teams ended 3 to 4 days before teams like Vegas and LA finished their last game on the last day if the season.

As a result Vegas Dallas, Oilers Kings started AFTER 2 East series had completed game 2. Oilers ending their series in 5 doesn't make it noticeable, but the Vegas- Stars series going 7 makes the poor final week look terrible

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Vancouver's building also has a concert on Sunday afaik, otherwise I imagine they would have started then.
That happens everywhere. Arenas knowing playoff scheduling do not pack their arena and artists know they can get kicked out the sports have first priority.

The concerts are why you get these 3 days between games ot possible b2b games

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Both the Rangers and Knicks have home advantage.

The ability to schedule quickly from one series to another is why the league moved to a bracket schedule
Bracket doesnt matter because you dony know shesd of time if home ot road.

Brackets does make it easier to do where you have a little less variability

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Don't see the issue tbh, they'll just find a midweek or Sunday/Monday extra break in the middle to unstagger the series.

Of all the series to start earlier, the two teams that won their first series combined 8-1 seems like a good bet to go longer and give you more time to right the schedule.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Not the worst thing. Following suit after a league that runs itself magnitudes better than the NHL.
Yeah except I remember watching basketball back in the day and some series were in round 1, game 6 and others were in round 2, game 2, and you’d turn in the tv and be all “wtf round are we even in?” Was like Apple’s product line-up before Steve came back and fixed it (or like now).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My guess is they want 2 games for Sunday TV, also makes scheduling a bit easier to avoid 2 games on at once
When did the NHL announce that Carolina and NY were playing on Sunday? I figured that without a guarantee of a game on Sunday (Van/Nas and LV/Dal were playing game 6 on Friday) so if Dal also managed to close it out, likely Sunday ends up being an empty day which the NHL would not want. If it's a Tue-thur, I doubt the NHL would start another series.

I think Friedman said after the game when he was on SN with Reid/Osmak that he doesn't know his schedule following game 1 of Bos/Fla since he said if Dal wins they have some scheduling issues with the Mavs and concerts early next week. So arena availablity may also play a part.

Right now, Boston, NYR, Dallas, Denver remain of shared NBA/NHL arenas.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And the Rangers are second rate citizens in their own building. If it's Knicks or Rangers for a Saturday game, it's Knicks.
Knicks are scheduled to host round 2 of their series on Monday and Wed. So, either the NYR start on Sunday or Tuesday.
Denver hosts game 2 on Monday, so that allows Col to host Knights for game 1 on Tuesday, barring concerts.
Mavs start their series on the road, so if Stars win they should have dates open this week, but they may have concerts or something else scheduled already.
Celtics are home this week, so no issues as Bruins start on the road.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it's one of the things the NBA gets right. If a series is ready to go, get to it.
NBA has always done brackets. So, no re-seeding following an upset. 1/8 plays 4/5 regardless. They don't have to wait to see if 6 upsets 3 and then do 1/6 and 2/4 matchup.

That's why the NBA has always been able to start a series before a round closes.

Again, when did the NHL announce Car/NYR schedule?

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
The problem with starting rounds early is that if a early start team sweeps, then then get too long of a layover before the next round.

Reactions: BTO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad