NCAA: Week 10: Thou Shalt Have No Other Games of the Century Other Than the College Football Playoff

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thinking a 2-loss team makes the playoff for the first time

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Right now I think it's Georgia, OSU/MU winner, Tennessee, and TCU. If whoever comes out of the SEC West wins the SEC title game it's going to be a giant mess, even if TCU doesn't lose. If the SEC West doesn't win the SEC title game, none of these SEC West teams have a chance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Alabama already used both time outs so they couldn’t kill that play with a guy running off the field.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Right now I think it's Georgia, OSU/MU winner, Tennessee, and TCU. If whoever comes out of the SEC West wins the SEC title game it's going to be a giant mess, even if TCU doesn't lose.
Tennessee is going to benefit not having to play in Atlanta, especially if Georgia loses there.

Alabama ‘out of the picture’ I’m not buying that yet

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Tennessee is going to benefit not having to play in Atlanta, especially if Georgia loses there.

Alabama ‘out of the picture’ I’m not buying that yet
I'm not sure that's true. I think it would have been better for them to beat Georgia then lose in the SEC title game than to lose to Georgia then watch Georgia lose in the title game. I don't think they can get past Georgia, so a Georgia stumble is really going to hurt them. Unless Georgia loses before the SEC title game, anyway.

I think a 10-1 Tennessee whose only loss is in the SEC title game (and has wins over Georgia and Alabama) gets to the playoff regardless.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Doubtful, LSU won't do anything to Georgia, and Alabama isn't getting in over several 1 loss teams(a couple that will probably have conference titles).

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Right now I think it's Georgia, OSU/MU winner, Tennessee, and TCU. If whoever comes out of the SEC West wins the SEC title game it's going to be a giant mess, even if TCU doesn't lose. If the SEC West doesn't win the SEC title game, none of these SEC West teams have a chance.
Oregon is definitely in the mix if they go 12-1.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
They might not be out of the picture, but their defense isn't good enough to go deep in the playoffs esp. if they play Georgia.
The problem is that while they don't deserve to be there, they might get there because of their name and keep a more deserving team out in the process.

Reactions: southsideIrish

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure that's true. I think it would have been better for them to beat Georgia then lose in the SEC title game than to lose to Georgia then watch Georgia lose in the title game. I don't think they can get past Georgia, so a Georgia stumble is really going to hurt them. Unless Georgia loses before the SEC title game, anyway.

I think a 10-1 Tennessee whose only loss is in the SEC title game (and has wins over Georgia and Alabama) gets to the playoff regardless.
Tennessee could lose to anyone, they’re getting in with 1 loss.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The committee has never put a 2 loss team in, and the only 2 loss team that even has a sliver of discussion at this point is LSU. Since their odds of winning the SEC are still slim, and they lost to Florida St.and were beaten soundly by a Tennessee team that should be 11-1, can't see them getting in even with a miracle win over Georgia. I would say it's Georgia, the UM/OSU winner, TCU if they run the table, and Oregon if they win the Pac-12 at 12-1. If TCU or Oregon falls, then Tennessee should be in.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Oregon is definitely in the mix if they go 12-1.
I think they're in the next tier with Clemson and USC that probably go ahead of the Big 12 if TCU drops a game. But if Georgia stays undefeated and Tennessee's only loss is to them (and yes I know that's what Oregon's loss is too, but they were marginally more competitive), I think Tennessee is above that group. And undefeated power conference teams are definitely above that group.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Thinking Game Day is in Austin next week
We back baby!

Also Jesus Christ Sark is going to kill me one day with these second halfs.

Sark has lost 10 games at Texas, SIX have been two score blown leads in the second half.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I think they're in the next tier with Clemson and USC that probably go ahead of the Big 12 if TCU drops a game. But if Georgia stays undefeated and Tennessee's only loss is to them (and yes I know that's what Oregon's loss is too, but they were marginally more competitive), I think Tennessee is above that group. And undefeated power conference teams are definitely above that group.
I disagree, if the committee only has one spot left,provided it's Georgia,UM/OSU winner and an undefeated TCU, the committee would then have to definitively say that Tennessee is at a higher level than Oregon(not to mention the UM/OSU loser and potentially still a 1 loss Clemson, although I think they are likely out now). If teams are comparable, conference titles are supposed to matter as one possible tiebreaker, and Oregon had also passed the eye test quite well since the opener. It will be close, and I wouldn't be surprised if either Tennessee or the UM/OSU loser made it over Oregon(especially if it's OSU). However,.I would give credit in that scenario to a 12-1 Oregon with a conference championship.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
If 12-1 Oregon can get in, 12-1 USC can also get in. Considering their one game they dropped will be most likely a top 15 Utah by end of the year and they will have beaten Oregon/UCLA

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If 12-1 Oregon can get in, 12-1 USC can also get in. Considering their one game they dropped will be most likely a top 15 Utah by end of the year and they will have beaten Oregon/UCLA
One has to beat the other to do it so it will raise their resume

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
@GKJ If you want to earn enough $$$$ to make tonight's Powerball jackpot look like chump change, then go with College Football's premiere expert, The Bear, (who was 0-3 last week and 13-14 on the season) on this week's 3 premiere matchups:

GA Tech plus 3 & 1/2 over your Fighting Hokies
Vandy plus 6 & 1/2 over South Carolina
Arizona State plus 11 over UCLA
Looking like another 0/3 week

• Haha
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad