Post-Game Talk: We Win Finally Jets 7 Oilers 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
For the year all 3 of WPG NSH and CGY are pretty close in goals for per game.

But who do you trust the most down the stretch? Helle, Markstrom or Saros? Think it's Helle even with a rougher past 2ish months.

Saros can certainly get hot and carry the team. But without ekholm and nino their worse off, and Johansen gone for the year.

I think we're pretty safe.

Some Calgary players had that thousand yard stare last night after losing in another uninspired effort. I think mentally they're done even though the standings say otherwise.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Didn't notice but did Wheeler have to ride the pine for a bit after taking that stupid, lazy penalty early in the first?

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
Loved the game . We continued to fight and answer goals from edm.

We played with emotion and I was proud of our guys .

Loved the hit on mcdavid. I don’t mind having to fight after a clean hit . Players knowing they will have to potentially fight after hitting a star player opens up more space for the stars. As it will scare players away from big hits on them. It’s just part of the politics of hockey that needs to be there imo .

Bottom 6 is scoring well for a short period and we need it to continue.

I love watching ehlers skate around but it never amounts to a goal. At the end of the game he didn’t seem as happy as everyone else . Looks like he feels he isn’t contributing as he wants too.

Let’s keep it going
Look at who he is skating with!.....bones has relegated him to third line duty and some folks are still wondering what happened to Ehlers. I am not a fan of how Bones selectively punishes players who stray from his system. I'ts a detrement to the team as a whole.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Look at who he is skating with!.....bones has relegated him to third line duty and some folks are still wondering what happened to Ehlers. I am not a fan of how Bones selectively punishes players who stray from his system. I'ts a detrement to the team as a whole.
ehlers does not look 100% and is probably the reason he is not getting minutes right now

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Three coaches have done this to ehlers . He’s the common denominator.

Reactions: Cypruss

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
Didn't notice but did Wheeler have to ride the pine for a bit after taking that stupid, lazy penalty early in the first?
Wheeler is now totally a third line player, but Ehlers is there instead by coaching decision while more ice time and power play time is given to Wheeler......I just don't understand it. I believe it's one of the reasons we went into a late season slump.

Three coaches have done this to ehlers . He’s the common denominator.
....or coaches are the common denominator. Ehlers is a goal scorer and sniper

Hems55

Mar 21, 2016
I think we lack confidence. Good teams are mentally strong and consistent performers (like Boston). We seem to be fragile and not on our game. I'm not sure what the answer is....liked the emotion the Jets played with.

Reactions: Channelcat

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gross game, but if if that's how we're going to play...
View attachment 663485

Might not have been a work of art, but Jets played with some intensity that has been missing since Xmas. They were hard on the puck and making some very nice plays for 2 periods. Seemed to run out of steam a bit in the 3rd but I will credit the Oilers pressure for some of that. A couple of defensive breakdowns against an offensive powerhouse that lead to goals against. Nobody's perfect.

That kind of play would have garnered a few more Ws in these last 22 games.

I think saying we needed this one is a massive understatement, things to work on but for the most part is was a very good effort/performance from the team at 5v5, they have the best pp for a reason so hard to blame special teams too much. Also this set of b2b is perfect example of how badly inconsistent reffing is in the nhl, had they called it like they did last night we would have had 5 more pp's at least...

Speaking of examples - b2bs featuring the same 2 teams, either both games in the same city or both teams needing the same travel between games is how it should be done. Scheduling complexity makes b2bs a necessary evil, but requiring tired teams to play rested teams is not the way to go.

Need to back this up by beating the Sharks

Must win.

I think Capobianco earned another start.

Id leave the d the same

I got very down on Capo early in the season after a particularly bad game. But he has been good in every game since and has some offensive skills. I think he should be our #7 Dman, moving Stan down to #8.

Based on decision making and effort this season... this would have been our best D core
Jomo-DeMelo
Dillon-Samberg
Capo-Kovacevic

You need to add in the issue of cap hits too.

I wanted to see Kovy elevated to the NHL before we got Schmidt. Not saying he would have been better than Schmidt but Schmidt wasn't very good last year. He has been better this year, but Kovy would have been better this year too, with a year of NHL behind him. And he would have cost us 5 mil less cap hit each of those 2 years.

That would have been off-season cap space that is worth even more than TD cap space. Who knows what might have been done with that?

Edmonton has a good PP , 5 on 5 i thought our defense played well .

Most of the time, yes. There were a couple of breakdowns that lead to goals against.

The players don't care about draft spots.

Neither do coaches. They will be trying to win each game. But that roster doesn't look like it has the ability to win very many.

I subscribe to the theory that he is still <100% after his surgery. I think it is more that he is being sheltered abit mote than he is being punished. At least I sure hope it is.

They should keep b2bs in the division. I like the idea of having a b2b in each city for two teams. Keeps it even and reduces travel

I'm all for innovations that reduce travel for the Western Conf.

For a draft and develop team... we've taken about five years off from drafting and developing - its showing now

KVes busting really hurt the d&d record.
But between players not making it, giving up picks and lack of promoting developing players, we haven't produced much for a while.

We still have s few possibles from those drafts and some promising players from the last couple. We need to make some room, notably for Ville.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I got very down on Capo early in the season after a particularly bad game. But he has been good in every game since and has some offensive skills. I think he should be our #7 Dman, moving Stan down to #8.
Based on decision making and effort this season... this would have been our best D core
Jomo-DeMelo
Dillon-Samberg
Capo-Kovacevic

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Canucks doing to the Leafs what every team should do to them, hit, hit, hit. Doesn't matter who the Leafs added they are still pillowy soft
Well after reading some leaf fans comments on HF apparently the Canucks won the Stanley cup last night. How many teams can win it In a season ?!

• Haha
Reactions: bustamente

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
During the post-game browse I noted that the Edmonton board complained that Maenalanen slew footed deJesus, but I didn't see that.

I thought Saku rather gently deposited His Precious gently to the frozen surface. Clean, from what I saw.

I wonder if there is a good clip of the hit somewhere?

Morrissey:
“Saku was a gritty player for us and he makes a nice check on the best player in the world. They respond, which I understand, but it draws us a power play and we get rewarded with a last-second goal,” said Morrissey. “That’s just kind of the mindset that we came in to that game with, that compete level. Saku, that goal doesn’t happen without him making that play. It’s nice to get rewarded with that goal, specifically for the play that drew the penalty.”
That sounds like something a captain would say

Reactions: wraithsonwings

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Wheeler is now totally a third line player, but Ehlers is there instead by coaching decision while more ice time and power play time is given to Wheeler......I just don't understand it. I believe it's one of the reasons we went into a late season slump.

....or coaches are the common denominator. Ehlers is a goal scorer and sniper
Ehlers isn’t built to handle top Line minutes… He has top line skill but is more effective and less likely to get hurt with less

Reactions: AlaskaJet

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Has the NHL ever scheduled both games of a B2B in the same city?

I think the Jets had one vs. Washington in the shortened season IIRC.

Caps were playing badly until that B2B, then proceeded to make the playoffs at the expense of the Jets.

EDIT: About 15 minutes too late :laugh:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
You need to add in the issue of cap hits too.

I wanted to see Kovy elevated to the NHL before we got Schmidt. Not saying he would have been better than Schmidt but Schmidt wasn't very good last year. He has been better this year, but Kovy would have been better this year too, with a year of NHL behind him. And he would have cost us 5 mil less cap hit each of those 2 years.

That would have been off-season cap space that is worth even more than TD cap space. Who knows what might have been done with that?
For a draft and develop team... we've taken about five years off from drafting and developing - its showing now

Reactions: DRW204
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad