Post-Game Talk: WE WIN A GOALIE DUEL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Saturday's game in Boston will be the true benchmark test when he faces a potential playoff opponent.
moving_goalposts.jpg

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The goal was Tavares’ fifth in his past four games and 20th of the season. The Leafs captain now has more 20-goal seasons on his resume (13) than every active player save Washington Capitals sniper Alex Ovechkin (14).

Crosby ?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
feels a bit weird to not see gretzky at the top of "scoring" records LOL

Mario killed it apparently

he set up both the goals for the Leafs last night; perhaps we can give him a chance.

I am expecting Willy to take the center once JT's contract is up in the top6 with

XXX-Matthews-XXX
XXX-Nylander-Marner
XXX-Kampf-XXX
XXX-Holmberg-XXX
I'm not saying I'm right. It's just an opinion. He offers more to the team on the wing. He always has. That doesn't make him a bad hockey player. In no way am I suggesting it he's bad. Everyone keeps telling me that he got a couple of assists last night. Yes. He also missed some assignments. He also isn't all the way comfortable at center. As for the future? Who knows? He might price himself out of town. I also don't think it's wise to continue with a superstar center (paid like a superstar) on the top line and a highly paid 2C.

There's nothing wrong with saying: give him a chance. There are reasons to try him there. I just don't agree. Perhaps I've held on too long to the emotion of the Columbus series. Keefe had Nylander playing 2C in game 5 and it backfired badly.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Solid win all around. Didn't even need Matthews.

Murray gaining confidence is exactly what we need.

I think that's the biggest difference for these two goalies this season. Especially Murray coming off the Sens. This team is good enough that it doesn't need to lean hard on its goalie every night. A few off games aren't the end of the world. He's got a bit of runway to workout his game and get back in the zone. They were never going to be Vezina candidates all season. What's important is how they, and the team, react to a step back.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Engvall is just not cutting the mustard

Meh, he's been strong on a defensive oriented 3rd line. That's where he belongs. I don't think anyone should really expect him to look at home playing beside Nylander.

Honestly I would give McMann a shot in the top six. Not that I think he's going to blow the doors off but he's shown some offensive talent in the AHL and he gives us a bit of a power forward element that the top six doesn't have.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

I think the stat he's incorrectly referring to is 20g seasons since Tavares's draft. Ovi has all 14 years. Tavares missed one (19g in 56gp in the Covid season). Crosby missed two due to injury.

The active leaders for their careers are:
Ovi 18
Crosby 16
Kane 14
Malkin 13 (likely 14 this year)
Bergeron 13 (likely 14 this year)
Tavares 13

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Why oh why does Reilly insist on being caught up ice like he is an elite scoring defenseman, when he NOT. Then at the end of a one goal game, in the last minute, his coach does not have him on the ice.
With little or no scoring ability he too often costs us, leaving his partner and goalie to cover his mistakes. Playing with great scoring forwards most often is the only reason he is a plus.
The sooner he discovers who he is as a player the better off we will be.
If he would simplify his approach and not always push for unnecessary offence it would be way better. He already got paid, he doesn't need to pad his numbers anymore.

Reactions: Niagara Bill
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad