Post-Game Talk: WE WIN A GOALIE DUEL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Why oh why does Reilly insist on being caught up ice like he is an elite scoring defenseman, when he NOT. Then at the end of a one goal game, in the last minute, his coach does not have him on the ice.
With little or no scoring ability he too often costs us, leaving his partner and goalie to cover his mistakes. Playing with great scoring forwards most often is the only reason he is a plus.
The sooner he discovers who he is as a player the better off we will be.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Watching Rielly last night had me thinking, this guy is on the ice for 25+ minutes a game, and therein lies the difference as to why our D was so good when he was out.

Murray was too good last night.

Jeannot could be a good addition and given he only has 3 goals this year had me thinking we might be able to get him cheap.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Watching Rielly last night had me thinking, this guy is on the ice for 25+ minutes a game, and therein lies the difference as to why our D was so good when he was out.

Jeannot could be a good addition and given he only has 3 goals this year had me thinking we might be able to get him cheap.
Not sure why we're playing guys like Holl/Gio/Rielly so much when Sandin/Liljegren/Timmins have been good. Balance out the minutes while you can in the regular season and the team is still winning. Keep everybody as fresh as possible.

Reactions: ToneDog

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Good to see I’ve been wrong about Murray. I was worried he was starting to slide but he’s rebounded nicely! Keep it up!! Let’s go leafs

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Some people complain that he isn't hard enough along the boards to be a good winger, then complain when he plays centre for the first time in ages and sets up every goal we score.
For the record, neither goal was scored with Nylander at center.
The claims that he was bad along the boards were always silly and false.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Funny reading the Preds GDT.
They feel the Refs favoured the Leafs while reading ours and many feel the Refs favoured the Preds. :laugh:
The penalties alone were 5 minors for Preds and 2 minors for the Leafs ..

Leafs winning goal came on a late PP to boot,

Although I must say Leafs PP overall look lost and disjointed most of the night with Auston not in the line-up.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Engvall is just not cutting the mustard

such a frustrating player. He could be so much better if he just used his size instead of being the biggest p***y on this team. I have never seen a player so scared of contact.

On the flip side anyone else catch Marner throw a pretty solid hit against the boards in the third? i had to do a double take on the jersey number. Good for him. He's been my favorite player this year for sure.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I always thought so.
I don't think anyone has ever complained about his board work but more his softness and lack of effort at times.
Nylander, Matthews and Marner are elite along the wall, rarely do they not come out with the puck.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Tavvy doing his thang, being that hero Bonnie tyler sangs. You already know Bonnie too wants some of that tavares pole twerk 👏👏🍁
The goal was Tavares’ fifth in his past four games and 20th of the season. The Leafs captain now has more 20-goal seasons on his resume (13) than every active player save Washington Capitals sniper Alex Ovechkin (14).
- underrated win

- the Reilly/Holl pairing looks a bit spooky

- the PP was predictably rough without AM

- let's give Lilli some #1PP minutes?

yep for sure, I didn't like it all that much either. I hate to say this but it kind of looked like how Gardiner used to hang his partners out to dry back in them bad old dark days.

Reilly - Liljegren

Gio - Holl

Timmins - Sandin

at least until Brodie is back

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Good to see I’ve been wrong about Murray. I was worried he was starting to slide but he’s rebounded nicely! Keep it up!! Let’s go leafs
He was great last night. He easily won the game first period.

On side note. Gio needs some night off. There are at times he looks burned out

Marner is so consistent. Doesn't get many multiple point games but enough to always contribute

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He was great last night. He easily won the game first period.

On side note. Gio needs some night off. There are at times he looks burned out

Marner is so consistent. Doesn't get many multiple point games but enough to always contribute
He would have been in on both goals had he not whiffed on the Tavares goal.

Reactions: fahad203

NewZealandMike

Nov 14, 2022

Did you see him battling in front of Murray? I feel the same big big player who would solve all of our physical play in bottom 6

Reactions: ToneDog

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not sure why we're playing guys like Holl/Gio/Rielly so much when Sandin/Liljegren/Timmins have been good. Balance out the minutes while you can in the regular season and the team is still winning. Keep everybody as fresh as possible.
I like Timmins and most of what he does, but he does on occasion serve up a 'steaming hot large double anchovies and hot peppers pizza' at least once a game, last night 3 really dangerous turnovers in the 3rd period which could have sunk the ship!

Like I was saying in another thread, the offence he has provided is certainly nice but that was his 54th NHL game last night. Timmins is nice player to have and an excellent depth guy but to be brutally honest he really isn't the answer the Buds are looking for or need. The guy they need is a big crease clearing bulldozer that can play in the second pair, who that player is I don't know, what I do know is that he isn't on the roster right now, he's on LTIR, so we need to find another one to replace him.

If we can get that guy I think that Brodie gets the job with Reilly while Holl would stay 2nd pairing with that, 'so called new version of Muzz,' and Gio would pair up with Liljegren, those two really looked good together on the 3rd pairing. Sandin and Timmins would be 7 and 8 respectively. I think that would give the Leafs enough D to get through the post season tournament.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Oh damn I didn't know this was a thing. Marner watch back on!

feels a bit weird to not see gretzky at the top of "scoring" records LOL

Mario killed it apparently

I don't think Keefe should be playing Nylander at center. He just doesn't have it there. He never did.

he set up both the goals for the Leafs last night; perhaps we can give him a chance.

I am expecting Willy to take the center once JT's contract is up in the top6 with

XXX-Matthews-XXX
XXX-Nylander-Marner
XXX-Kampf-XXX
XXX-Holmberg-XXX

Reactions: bax

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
feels a bit weird to not see gretzky at the top of "scoring" records LOL

Mario killed it apparently

he set up both the goals for the Leafs last night; perhaps we can give him a chance.

I am expecting Willy to take the center once JT's contract is up in the top6 with

XXX-Matthews-XXX
XXX-Nylander-Marner
XXX-Kampf-XXX
XXX-Holmberg-XXX
I’m sure if they started that list before 1990 we’d see him there. Hard to imagine with some of his seasons in the 80s that he wouldnt be tops for sure.

Reactions: PromisedLand
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad