Post-Game Talk: We played today? - 3:2 Flyers

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yup.

I prefer the #1C over the guy who plays against the #1C. Couturier is an excellent NHLer, but I think Scheifele is moving into a different tier. Now on pace for about 32g + 34g over a full season. He's really putting it all together this season. That line could be dynamic. I could see them scoring 2 goals a game down the stretch (which could sink our tank).
Ya i would agree , i gotta say when the Jets drafted Scheifele i was like WHO ? But when the Jets said they picked him because of what Hawerchuk had to say about Scheifele , i felt alot better about the pick . I would soooooo love the Jets to hire Hawerchuk as a assistant coach , i'll tell you right now if they did and got rid of Vincent , our power play would instantly get alot better . :handclap:

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Hey guys, just wanted to say I love Scheifele's game, he seems to have it all, I'm jealous.

Jets were a thorn in our side as always last night, good luck with the draft.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Scheifele is sure peaking at the right time for contract negotiations. This definitely was his breakout year.. granted every year has been an improvement, but this really has been a phenomenal year for his personal development.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Scheifele is sure peaking at the right time for contract negotiations. This definitely was his breakout year.. granted every year has been an improvement, but this really has been a phenomenal year for his personal development.

Barkov 59GP 23G 26A 49pts (.83 PPG)
Scheif 65GP 25G 27A 52pts (.80 PPG)
Monahan 75GP 27G 32A 59pts (.79 PPG)

Jetlaggedoil

Nov 12, 2014
Barkov 59GP 23G 26A 49pts (.83 PPG)
Scheif 65GP 25G 27A 52pts (.80 PPG)
Monahan 75GP 27G 32A 59pts (.79 PPG)

As excited as I am about sheif I think it's important to remember he's 23, Monahan is 21 and barkov is only 20. Still very impressive numbers but not directly comparable imo.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
As excited as I am about sheif I think it's important to remember he's 23, Monahan is 21 and barkov is only 20. Still very impressive numbers but not directly comparable imo.

I think they are very comparable. In fact Scheifele seems to be improving at the fastest rate among the three right now despite being older.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
You guys have fantastic top line going forward, no doubt. Scheifele could easily develop into true 1st line center, and he's playing like one right now. And then having Little on your 2nd line would be really terrific for you.

Despite this season, I think that future is looking real good for Winnipeg.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would anyone balk at paying Scheif 6.75 for 8 years?

I think I'd jump at that. Maybe a bit lower AAV, but then they likely won't get the 8 year term. Probably a bit high now, but will be a bargain in a few years. Lock him up.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Will the real secondary scoring please stand up, please stand up!

I like what the top line is doing but after that we need some of the other youngsters to start to develop a bit of a scoring touch.

Petan, Dano, Armia look good but none are really putting up points. That will have to change for this team to take a step forward next year.

Surix'... I hear ya...

I think the Vets playing with these 'talented' individuals are the ones failing. This has been an ongoing problem for a few years now. :rant:

More talented youth who are hungry is the answer. :nod:

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Why wouldn't you compare the 3?? Age is just a number, they all have pretty much the same NHL experience. It's starting to all come together for Scheifele.
I enjoy the fact that he still has that extra gear this late in the season, seems like a good sign.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
He's also currently the best possesion player of the 3 as well.

Yeah, aside from shot suppression/Corsi against, Scheifele compares very favourably to Couturier.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/JPJQMG73G?:display_count=yes

Also, against Barkov, the Chef is better in all categories except CA60 relative. Not to the same degree as Couturier, but still, very respectable.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/5T7FPYDB6?:display_count=yes

I'm definitely happy with the choice of Scheifele.

(if a mod can embed those charts I'd be much obliged. Using the IMG tag doesn't work)

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
cSJpigj.png

Last edited by a moderator:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
To the two flyers fans coming by: thanks for the nice words. Appreciated :)

We're not too worried about our future ourselves. We actually think it's a good thing for us the management and Maurice realized to go with a period of youth movement this season, especially since the deadline, and maybe next season. The league will have to watch out for the Jets sooner than later with the way our young guys are progressing plus having guys like Buff, Little (as mentioned, he would be one of the best 2nd line centers in the league) and Wheeler playing with them in their prime years.

If Hellebuyck developes into at least close to what people expect him to be (and he's on the right track for sure), we're contenders by 2018. Could actually win the cup in 2019 as THN predicted.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
You know, it's kind of funny...but I think I've had just as much fun watching Armia, Ehlers, Scheifele and Co. this year as I did during our playoff run. If anything, it's been with a miniscule fraction of the stress I went through last season.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Ya i would agree , i gotta say when the Jets drafted Scheifele i was like WHO ? But when the Jets said they picked him because of what Hawerchuk had to say about Scheifele , i felt alot better about the pick . I would soooooo love the Jets to hire Hawerchuk as a assistant coach , i'll tell you right now if they did and got rid of Vincent , our power play would instantly get alot better . :handclap:

I wonder if Hawerchuk would prefer to remain a junior head coach vs an NHL assistant coach. It might be more satisfying to him to affect the development progress of younger players.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Hmm. The Winnipegger in me cringes at that price, but I'm sure I could be convinced it's worth it. I wouldn't even flinch at signing Scheif for that long @ 6/year though.

I think if we went for 6 years we could probably get him in the 5.75 to 6.25 range. I'm greedy and wanted the whole 8 though

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wheeler, Scheifele and Ehlers are going to be fun to watch next year and are going to drive this team for years

OK, question. Does Ehlers stay on the left with Scheif and Wheeler or does he move back to his preferred RW when we are healthy and have added a LW or 2?

I expect Connor to start, sheltered on the 3rd line but to move up when ready. When he moves up would be my guess for the most likely time to move Ehlers back to RW - if that is going to happen. If so does he move to Scheif's right side or Little's? It could be:
Connor - Scheif - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Ehlers
Or it could be:
Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Stafford or Armia

I have mixed feelings myself. E-S-W seem to fit so well I don't want to break them up. OTOH Connor might fit there just as well or better. We need a top 6 RW and Ehlers would be it. MP-Little- Ehlers would be dynamic.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
OK, question. Does Ehlers stay on the left with Scheif and Wheeler or does he move back to his preferred RW when we are healthy and have added a LW or 2?

I expect Connor to start, sheltered on the 3rd line but to move up when ready. When he moves up would be my guess for the most likely time to move Ehlers back to RW - if that is going to happen. If so does he move to Scheif's right side or Little's? It could be:
Connor - Scheif - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Ehlers
Or it could be:
Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Stafford or Armia

I have mixed feelings myself. E-S-W seem to fit so well I don't want to break them up. OTOH Connor might fit there just as well or better. We need a top 6 RW and Ehlers would be it. MP-Little- Ehlers would be dynamic.

Hard to say as there are a lot of moving parts. If we say draft either Mathews or one of the Fins then we don't really need him at RW anymore. You keep ESW and build a 2nd powerhouse line.

Conner Mathews/Little Fin/Little

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
To the two flyers fans coming by: thanks for the nice words. Appreciated :)

We're not too worried about our future ourselves. We actually think it's a good thing for us the management and Maurice realized to go with a period of youth movement this season, especially since the deadline, and maybe next season. The league will have to watch out for the Jets sooner than later with the way our young guys are progressing plus having guys like Buff, Little (as mentioned, he would be one of the best 2nd line centers in the league) and Wheeler playing with them in their prime years.

If Hellebuyck developes into at least close to what people expect him to be (and he's on the right track for sure), we're contenders by 2018. Could actually win the cup in 2019 as THN predicted.

We are looking at quite similar path to our possible success. So maybe we will meet in the SCF at some point in the future? :laugh: :naughty:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Armia's injury sure couldn't have come at a worse time.
he's been an interesting player this year, to put it mildly. he's not quite the enigma that Burmistrov is (Flyers' radio guys were totally confused as to how someone dripping with talent could put up so few points), but he may not be that far off.
next year, i'm wondering if you look at Armia, Dano and Petan and end up choosing 1 or 2 of them, but not all. in the end, if they aren't producing, then they aren't producing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad