Post-Game Talk: We played today? - 3:2 Flyers

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly. And I don't think it will be in a year or two either. I think it has already begun and will equal about 72 pts next year. I love Scheif's play as much as anybody and I'm very optimisitic for it to continue. It doesn't look flukey to me although his sh% may be a little high.

That doesn't make Monahan and Barkov into good comparables for him. Find somebody who has been more nearly the same at the same age. IDK who, or care. There must be someone who is a better match. Those two have been a whole tier above Scheif and show no signs yet of tapering off.

No way Barkov and Monahan are a tier above Scheif. They are actually very good comparables. They are a bit younger. Barkov 2 years and Monahan 1 year but they are all young centers on the same tier. A year or 2 difference in developmental curve would be within a fairly normal range. All 3 are currently producing at remarkably similar rates. The tier above them are the elite guys, most of which are in the hearts of their primes. I think the Jets will be a bit fortunate that Scheif will be fairly agreeable to a fair contract.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Exactly. And I don't think it will be in a year or two either. I think it has already begun and will equal about 72 pts next year. I love Scheif's play as much as anybody and I'm very optimisitic for it to continue. It doesn't look flukey to me although his sh% may be a little high.

That doesn't make Monahan and Barkov into good comparables for him. Find somebody who has been more nearly the same at the same age. IDK who, or care. There must be someone who is a better match. Those two have been a whole tier above Scheif and show no signs yet of tapering off.

Ryan Johanesen is the closest comparable.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ryan Johanesen is the closest comparable.

I think they are all good comparables. Talented young centers that are/were on a steep developmental curve and projecting #1 C likelihood in year 3 of their ELC's. At this point it is only a matter of degrees. This is exactly what you hoped would happen when you drafted them. And it is not like you have all 4 to choose from, you only have 1 and they are vital for your future. IMO they will all end up getting paid in the relatively similar range and anyone of them could end up having the best career. I kind of like putting my money on Scheif.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
No way Barkov and Monahan are a tier above Scheif. They are actually very good comparables. They are a bit younger. Barkov 2 years and Monahan 1 year but they are all young centers on the same tier. A year or 2 difference in developmental curve would be within a fairly normal range. All 3 are currently producing at remarkably similar rates. The tier above them are the elite guys, most of which are in the hearts of their primes. I think the Jets will be a bit fortunate that Scheif will be fairly agreeable to a fair contract.

He does seem to have that hometown discount type personality... I hope

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Scheifele has produced back to 13-14 when playing with Wheeler. Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler was just as dominant.

They are a PPG duo. It was absurd that they'd keep splitting them up and going back to LLW.

Actually, one of the reasons I thought they needed to trade Ladd was to open up space for new players in the top 6. Let's Maurice shuffle the deck with complementary players.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
You don't seem to understand the difference between RFA & UFA years. The only reason you even consider giving him 4.0 per year during his RFA years (4) is because you are also buying UFA years. Otherwise, if you do a 2-3 year bridge its a lot less than 4.0 for those years.

So if you're giving him an average of 7 per year over the 8 years means that you are in fact paying him 10 per year for those last 4 UFA years. Maybe you think he'll be worth what Kopitar is, but I'd like to see some long-term evidence that he is elite before I pay him elite salary tyvm.

I do in fact understand the difference very well. That is just a silly comment.

We could get back into this in the Scheif thread if anyone wants to discuss this.

As for a better Scheifele camparable. Tarasenko is probably the closest in terms of age (when the contract was signed) and production.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I believe it is 2 years and 3 years difference. In 5 years time we might be able to say they are comparable because they will all have found their peaks. Right now the age differences are not large. They are huge, massive, immense. Or at least I think so.

I have had this debate about paying Scheifele before. I'm about done with it. I think it is hilarious to see posters trying to justify higher and higher numbers. The number that is justified is never higher than the minimum required to sign him. So far we have no indication that 6.75+ is going to be required. I'll wait and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad