We need a goalie..

skrymir2000

Jul 6, 2010
San Diego/Manila
VAN fans are trying to get rid of him because of that contract. You can tell because they try to rationalize the contract in every post.

Is that young stud a bigger stud that Lu?

If Lu's contract is not a problem and he is a top 10 goalie, why not sell the stud can't miss kid for a kings ransom? Instead of embarrassing themselves begging all the other teams boards to take him off their hands.

It would sure seem to be a lot easier to sell the new stud, right?

Well fans tend to be idiots and overvalue their players and undervalue every other team's players not just Van fans but all fans so don't expect any trade proposals from me.

I feel like Van has 2 top 10 goalies. One is older, more expensive, one is younger and cheaper. I am willing to trade either one. If you want the younger cheaper one it will be more costly than the older more expensive one.

I am also not one who thinks Luongo's contract is that bad which is why I have no problem keeping him. 5.3m is a reasonable cap hit that will only get more reasonable as the cap goes up. If he retires early which he most likely will (don't see him playing for 1m/year 7 years from now) it is Van that takes the cap hit.

If he decides to play there is no shortage of teams that would love a 5.3m cap hit at a real cost of 1m/year.

skrymir2000

Jul 6, 2010
San Diego/Manila
No, it doesn't. If it hasn't gone into effect, in some situations, the acquiring team can choose not to honor it... but I thought that was only if the NTC was part of a separate contract extension that hadn't yet kicked in.

Luongo has a NTC right now that he has agreed to waive. Here is what capgeek says about his NTC:

Full NTC (Exception 1: Player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; Exception 2: If player does not submit trade list as documented in Exception 1, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018. If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018.)

As I've said I have no problem keeping Luongo and trading Schneider. I think both are great goalies but having two great goalies is like having two great QB's it doesn't make sense in the long term.

If you had Drew Brees and Matt Ryan on one team you would look to trade one. Some would say trade Brees he's more expensive and keep Ryan he's younger other's would feel the opposite but everyone would agree you need to eventually trade one.

Now whether Washington is a fit for either one only George McPhee knows but if you do get one I think you'll be getting a great goalie.

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
Luongo has a NTC right now that he has agreed to waive. Here is what capgeek says about his NTC:

Full NTC (Exception 1: Player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014; Exception 2: If player does not submit trade list as documented in Exception 1, team can request a five-team trade list following final game of 2017-18 season, valid through Sept. 1, 2018. If player submitted a trade list in 2014 and was not moved, team loses right to request trade list in 2018.)

As I've said I have no problem keeping Luongo and trading Schneider. I think both are great goalies but having two great goalies is like having two great QB's it doesn't make sense in the long term.

If you had Drew Brees and Matt Ryan on one team you would look to trade one. Some would say trade Brees he's more expensive and keep Ryan he's younger other's would feel the opposite but everyone would agree you need to eventually trade one.

Now whether Washington is a fit for either one only George McPhee knows but if you do get one I think you'll be getting a great goalie.

Two words: Tandem goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad