GDT: We hate MSG

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Canes have been slowly but surely climbing the East standings for some time now.
They've passed Buffalo and with tonight's win are literally knocking on the playoff spot door !

Philly has been the hottest non playoff team in the East, but they're 7 pts back of Canes w/1 GIH. Hard to see Philly keep it up. The real battle will be between Canes, Sabres, and probably the 4th Metro team, currently Pitt, or the 4th Atlantic team. The Metro has been very tight ever since the Caps slumped and NYI surged. The Atlantic is just TB and everyone else.

Metro competition is the most fierce in the NHL ! :popcorn: Not saying it's the best top to bottom, but for some time the most competitive.

Dark Ambient

Darkness descends
Feb 4, 2018
Finland
Canes have been slowly but surely climbing the East standings for some time now.
They've passed Buffalo and with tonight's win are literally knocking on the playoff spot door !

Philly has been the hottest non playoff team in the East, but they're 7 pts back of Canes w/1 GIH. Hard to see Philly keep it up. The real battle will be between Canes, Sabres, and probably the 4th Metro team, currently Pitt, or the 4th Atlantic team. The Metro has been very tight ever since the Caps slumped and NYI surged. The Atlantic is just TB and everyone else.

Metro competition is the most fierce in the NHL ! :popcorn: Not saying it's the best top to bottom, but for some time the most competitive.

Do you remember that there was a moment in time this season when Buffalo was #1 in the league in points? It was when they had that 10-something win streak.
Where are they now? 3 points behind us, 4 points from the last wild card spot.

My point is, there are 27-ish games left. Momentum shifts WILL happen.
The Islanders (#1 in Metropolitan division) are 6 points ahead of us.
Nothing is set in stone yet.
Anything can happen.

Remember - be 3rd place in your division, and wild card worries go away.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
We win gaem? At msg?!

giphy.gif

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Do you remember that there was a moment in time this season when Buffalo was #1 in the league in points? It was when they had that 10-something win streak.
Where are they now? 3 points behind us, 4 points from the last wild card spot.

My point is, there are 27-ish games left. Momentum shifts WILL happen.
The Islanders (#1 in Metropolitan division) are 6 points ahead of us.
Nothing is set in stone yet.
Anything can happen.

Remember - be 3rd place in your division, and wild card worries go away.
Don't remember when Buffalo was that high, must have been near start of season. But do when they were in Atlantic #2 and solidly in #3. Sabres have been fading for about as long as Canes have been rising.

It's almost a lock that WC2 will face Bolts, while WC1 will face Metro #1 and that's no gimme at this point. Canes are not out of a top 3 in the Metro although one of the WC spots is more probable. Question is how do you match up vs TB or some of the other top Metro teams? I don't doubt you could give some of the Metro teams a tough series. Could you give TB a battle? :eek:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Hell, we have 1 legit NHL C and some AHL all stars up the middle. Didn’t they have a stretch in 2009 where K Aucoin played out of his mind while some key guys were injured?

I totally agree on the 4 lines and consistently good D pairings. I think another thing to add is that now each line has a threat to score. That couldn’t have been said two months ago when the Aho line was the offense. They still have to figure out the power play, but it’s hard to find fault with their EV strength play since the beginning of the new year.
Bayda-Aucoin-Walker on the 4th line, establishing a great cycle and wearing down the opposing D in their own zone just about every shift. Or was that 2008?

Dark Ambient

Darkness descends
Feb 4, 2018
Finland
Don't remember when Buffalo was that high, must have been near start of season. But do when they were in Atlantic #2 and solidly in #3. Sabres have been fading for about as long as Canes have been rising.

It's almost a lock that WC2 will face Bolts, while WC1 will face Metro #1 and that's no gimme at this point. Canes are not out of a top 3 in the Metro although one of the WC spots is more probable. Question is how do you match up vs TB or some of the other top Metro teams? I don't doubt you could give some of the Metro teams a tough series. Could you give TB a battle? :eek:

Given our history, making the play-offs is the equivalent of winning the cup. What happens IN the play-offs is irrelevant.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
My observations from the game:

The fans sitting around me were extremely friendly. A respectable turnout from fellow Caniacs. I think it was obvious that I wasn’t going to be obnoxious, so they were cool with me. Even ended up catching a free shirt and gave it to the young girl sitting next to me. There was a group of 8 guys in front of me from Canada that was taunting Rangers fans at the end, kinda hilarious.

I think the whole Rangers game plan was to keep passing the puck across ice, and wait for one of our guys to be caught out of position, but it never happened. I think we were well prepared for them.

That pre-game tribute was cool.

I think it was pretty obvious they wanted to break that MSG streak.

I know it reflects in the score, but our bottom lines carried us the whole game. Impressed by all of them.

Slavin’s alright I suppose

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think it was pretty obvious they wanted to break that MSG streak.

It’s funny. Some of the postgame questions were about that, and Brindy pretty much told the reporters “They’re a bunch of young guys, they have no idea what you’re talking about.”

I don’t think it’s so much that they wanted to break the streak, but more about wanting to get the win in general.

Dark Ambient

Darkness descends
Feb 4, 2018
Finland
It’s funny. Some of the postgame questions were about that, and Brindy pretty much told the reporters “They’re a bunch of young guys, they have no idea what you’re talking about.”

I don’t think it’s so much that they wanted to break the streak, but more about wanting to get the win in general.

Considering the today's average 20-something's overall knowledge of history - even recent history - I think it's safe to assume that when they were asked about the MSG curse, most of them replied "Huh...?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad