GDT: We’re not in Dallas anymore CBJ@CAR

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Gardiner belongs with Pesce. When he has confidence in his partner he’s absolutely dynamic offensively. At least he was last night.

I feel like you can interchange Gards and Skjei depending on what style of play that you want. I mean, we’ve had considerable team success this year with both pairings, and both guys have had strong analytical metrics to start the year (surprisingly so in Skjei’s case), so it’s more like what kind of flavor that you want on a certain day. Luxurious, indeed.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Gardiner belongs with Pesce. When he has confidence in his partner he’s absolutely dynamic offensively. At least he was last night.

No opinion on where he belongs, but I was just getting ready to post the following when I hit refresh and saw your post:

As I mentioned earlier, I can't watch the games live :(. But after viewing the highlights on YouTube, it seemed like Gardiner had a heck of a game. Haven't seen his name mentioned much in this thread; is that in part because the forwards had such a big night?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
No opinion on where he belongs, but I was just getting ready to post the following when I hit refresh and saw your post:

As I mentioned earlier, I can't watch the games live :(. But after viewing the highlights on YouTube, it seemed like Gardiner had a heck of a game. Haven't seen his name mentioned much in this thread; is that in part because the forwards had such a big night?
He had a good night as did 22, 24, and 76.

Almost every breakdown in play last night was when 19 and 74 were on the ice. Hopefully they can pull it together.

Reactions: Tryamw

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I used this example because I'm a teacher. Occasionally my students will say something like this, but it's 99% of the time tongue-in-cheek because they know I am pretty firm with my word and with deadlines. We have a laugh. I did have a 6th grade science teacher who legit the class knew we could never take a test. Every day we were scheduled to have a test, the class asked various questions about how her son was doing. Every damn time she took the bait, would talk about her son's marriage and job situation for 30 minutes, and we wouldn't have time for the test. It literally worked multiple times that year.
Legitimately had a prof like that in college. All it would take to keep them from doing a quiz that day is to start taking hockey and given that this was spring semester 2002 with me, a Wings, and a Kings fan in the class it didn't take much to get that going

Reactions: cptjeff

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
He had a good night as did 22, 24, and 76.

Almost every breakdown in play last night was when 19 and 74 were on the ice. Hopefully they can pull it together.

Yea what's up with Slavin? Seems to be getting beaten a lot in the early going. Hammy...eh....I expect that of him sometime, but Mr. Slavin is supposed to be known for his shut down ability.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Yea what's up with Slavin? Seems to be getting beaten a lot in the early going. Hammy...eh....I expect that of him sometime, but Mr. Slavin is supposed to be known for his shut down ability.
Hopefully it’s the effects of Covid, but he didn’t look good before that this year. Also it’s not that he’s getting beat with speed - he’s just losing most of his puck battles when he used to win almost all of them

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Hopefully it’s the effects of Covid, but he didn’t look good before that this year. Also it’s not that he’s getting beat with speed - he’s just losing most of his puck battles when he used to win almost all of them
Both of CBJs first 2 goals were the result of 74 failing to make a play on the puck carrier and then 19 failing to make a play on the pass/ guy in front of the net

Reactions: Tryamw

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
With the way most of the team is playing we are running out of whipping boys. Gards play in the Ozone to steal the puck and make that pass WOW!! Of course at 10-3 its hard to have whipping boys

"Whew!! Glad to hear that!"

tumblr_pek6tjwTwX1uxcb2eo4_400.gifv

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
"Whew!! Glad to hear that!"

tumblr_pek6tjwTwX1uxcb2eo4_400.gifv
Give him a game or 2 and he will make another fantastic play that leads to a goal. Kinda like he did last week where he stole the puck off of the face-off and made a nice pass for a goal. And he's tied for second on the team in assists.

My whipping boy is Reimer. Tied for fourth in the league in wins but 33rd in GAA. He has been bad. And he's tied for second on the team in assists with 8. My whipping boy is Reimer. 4th in the league in wins but 33rd in GAA. Man has he been bad

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Ok so is someone going to start a “6 points every 5 games thread” or what. We gotta keep track of this stuff. I have no idea if our record is good.

We should be looking at points % instead of raw points given the large variation in games played to date because of covid postponements. I'd say the Canes record is pretty good. :thumbu: Caveat: comparisons across Divisions are less meaningful than usual given that there are no inter-divisional games.
NHL.jpg

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Give him a game or 2 and he will make another fantastic play that leads to a goal. Kinda like he did last week where he stole the puck off of the face-off and made a nice pass for a goal. And he's tied for second on the team in assists.

My whipping boy is Reimer. Tied for fourth in the league in wins but 33rd in GAA. He has been bad. And he's tied for second on the team in assists with 8. My whipping boy is Reimer. 4th in the league in wins but 33rd in GAA. Man has he been bad

Bad?!? You just said our goalie had 8 assists!

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I would like to say that I was joking about the 6 points in 5 games thread. I know we are good. It was a joke about how our dumb old coach used to put weird, pointless parameters around our schedule like “wow we got 7 points last 5 games now we can only get 5 points this time” like we are living in a different universe as fans now.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think Slavin is slowly coming along. He's not himself yet, but slowly coming along. With Dougie, I'm just worried about his skating ability. It's one thing to play bad D or get outworked in front of the net. There's always going to be some of that with him. I don't ever remember him getting beaten so much because of his skating. I don't know if it's after-effects from the injury last year and he just needs more time, I don't know if it's another nagging injury (I don't remember him really getting beaten that badly so routinely until after the covid break), conditioning (whether from the previous injury, covid offseason, covid break in season) or what. If he can't get back to his normal level of skating by the end of the year, there's not a chance I would sign him. Sure, if it's the previous injury needing time or conditioning, he could be a top dman again going forward, but I'd hate to risk an Erik Karlsson situation.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Breakdown the goals though. We know Reimer's weakness is rebound control. He often makes the first save but a lot of time the D hasn't been clearing the area to neutralize the second attempt and ultimately the resulting goal.

Let's take last night.

Goal 1 - Roslovic shakes Slavin and makes a good pass to Laine. Laine shoots and Reimer saves it and then Atikinson is there all alone without a D man in sight. Not blaming Reimer on that.

Goal 2 - Jenner scores on a rebound after Reimer saves the first point blank shot and then the puck kind of pinballs and goes in off Dougie's skate maybe? Not gonna fault Reimer there.

Goal 3 - Another rebound goal but also LOL that was baseball and no one knew where the puck was. You really want to pin that on Reimer?

I'm gonna go back further and break down all of the goals that the Canes have let in with Reimer in net this year but you can see the pattern. Reimer makes a save. D man/D men don't get to the rebound or clear the area. Other team scores.

Should Reimer be better at rebound control? Sure, that would be nice, but he's a big lanky guy and quick reflexes and stopping multiple attempts in the crease aren't going to be his thing. Canes need to do a better job at getting the puck out of the zone and moving it the other way. CLB had 40 shots and Reimer saved 37. I'm ok with that and if we're pointing fingers here it wouldn't be towards the crease.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Reimer is a backup so I will not fault him for playing level goaltending
Agreed. I'm hopeful his numbers will rebound when Mrazek is back and he's more of a 1B/backup again. Even when he's not on his game, darned if he doesn't give you a chance to win. Obviously, a good chance since he has the highest win percentage for a goalie since last November or whatever.

Reactions: cptjeff

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Tripp's analysis on Atkinson's goal pissed me off. That was a 2 on 2 until Foegele completely blows coverage on Atkinson to wave his stick toward the open guy in the slot, leaving Hamilton with a 2 on 1. Yet its Hamilton who gets name dropped while Foegele is barely referenced with a "we had numbers back, but...". Its this kind of nonsense that convinced people Pitkanen was a bad defenseman.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Tripp's analysis on Atkinson's goal pissed me off. That was a 2 on 2 until Foegele completely blows coverage on Atkinson to wave his stick toward the open guy in the slot, leaving Hamilton with a 2 on 1. Yet its Hamilton who gets name dropped while Foegele is barely referenced with a "we had numbers back, but...". Its this kind of nonsense that convinced people Pitkanen was a bad defenseman.

I was thinking the same thing. Dougie had to pick a guy in that scenario, but Foegel went to cover the lower risk guy vs. the high risk guy.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I was thinking the same thing. Dougie had to pick a guy in that scenario, but Foegel went to cover the lower risk guy vs. the high risk guy.

If we want to get really nit picky the only reason that happened is because Staal whiffed on Roslivic coming out of the zone in the first place forcing McLovin back into a situation he’d ideally never be in (covering for Jordan down low).

That whole sequence was a complete clusterf*** from everyone involved.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we want to get really nit picky the only reason that happened is because Staal whiffed on Roslivic coming out of the zone in the first place forcing McLovin back into a situation he’d ideally never be in (covering for Jordan down low).

That whole sequence was a complete clusterf*** from everyone involved.

Not really nit picking. Jordan definitely blew it at the blue line and that was a big contributor. The Canes were in pretty good position to cover it though and while wingers aren't ideally down low, in that situation they do cover if a C isn't there yet.

There were multiple parties at fault for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad