GDT: We’re not in Dallas anymore CBJ@CAR

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Ok, everybody who thought that Jordan Staal would be leading the team in scoring 25% of the way into the season, go ahead and raise your hand.

Now put it down, you f***ing liar.

I've been up and down on Staal his whole career. When he's hot he's unstoppable. As Rod said in his post game, he's not really doing anything differently he's just getting the results. I don't know, but I hope it continues. Having Staal and Svech on the same line is proving to be a great combination.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And even though he had that one flub at the blue-line, I really like what I've seen from Bean so far. Fleury has been very disappointing for me so far this year. I had hoped the confidence from his play in the RTP/Playoffs last year would carry over to this year, but he hasn't looked very good to me. He's not been terrible, but not good either.

Bean is noticeable out there.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Teuvo Teravainen's 1000 yard death stare is the equivalent of a 24 year old math teacher, whose students know they have a test that day, coming up with a bullshit reason why they can't take a test according to "school rules" because it's President's Day. Mr. T, knowing that it's a bullshit reason, but not knowing how to say no, gives this look to the back of the class, and wordlessly begins writing on the chalkboard the equations for conic sections, knowing he will give the test the next day.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
And even though he had that one flub at the blue-line, I really like what I've seen from Bean so far. Fleury has been very disappointing for me so far this year. I had hoped the confidence from his play in the RTP/Playoffs last year would carry over to this year, but he hasn't looked very good to me. He's not been terrible, but not good either.

Bean is noticeable out there.

Have been meaning to post something like this.

Fleury has been pretty underwhelming so far. He hasn’t really been overtly bad, but just “meh” as a 3rd pair guy so far. His end of year play last season may have been a flash in the pan.

I’m not completely sold on Bean yet, but I do think he looks better in the D zone than I expected him to. He still makes mistakes, but like Gardiner, you have to live with those and hope the good plays he makes offensively make up for the bad defensive plays. (Although, Gardiner hasn’t really been making oopsies lately).

I think Bean just needs more confidence. A few times last night it seemed that he had a chance to make a pass to clear the zone or skate it out himself, but he retreated, looked for more options, over-thought it and turned the puck over. I think with experience and more confidence, those plays will get cleaned up. He’s certainly showing he’s got NHL poise in the offensive zone.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
on McGinn's goal, did he actually bat that pass out of the air, while skating backwards? Or did it land first?

To my eye, the puck may have been off the ice momentarily, but was on the ice before it neared McGinn.

Teuvo Teravainen's 1000 yard death stare is the equivalent of a 24 year old math teacher, whose students know they have a test that day, coming up with a bullshit reason why they can't take a test according to "school rules" because it's President's Day. Mr. T, knowing that it's a bullshit reason, but not knowing how to say no, gives this look to the back of the class, and wordlessly begins writing on the chalkboard the equations for conic sections, knowing he will give the test the next day.

Deny taking a test? I'm a staunch anti-generationalist, but even I will admit this sounds like some whack millennial shit.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think Bean just needs more confidence. A few times last night it seemed that he had a chance to make a pass to clear the zone or skate it out himself, but he retreated, looked for more options, over-thought it and turned the puck over. I think with experience and more confidence, those plays will get cleaned up. He’s certainly showing he’s got NHL poise in the offensive zone.

Agree.

Reactions: Tryamw

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
To my eye, the puck may have been off the ice momentarily, but was on the ice before it neared McGinn.

Deny taking a test? I'm a staunch anti-generationalist, but even I will admit this sounds like some whack millennial shit.

Not a millennial, but President's Day?

clerks-478x344.gif

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Have been meaning to post something like this.

Fleury has been pretty underwhelming so far. He hasn’t really been overtly bad, but just “meh” as a 3rd pair guy so far. His end of year play last season may have been a flash in the pan.

I’m not completely sold on Bean yet, but I do think he looks better in the D zone than I expected him to. He still makes mistakes, but like Gardiner, you have to live with those and hope the good plays he makes offensively make up for the bad defensive plays. (Although, Gardiner hasn’t really been making oopsies lately).

If determining who should be your only true bottom-pair guy is the debate that we're having (I think that we basically can agree that when Skjei and Gardiner are playing like this, they're both second-pairing defensemen), I think that we're pretty much set for a good old-fashioned Cup run.

Last edited:

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
Youtube-tv'er here that can't watch the games anymore (and former Hurricanes Forum Poster under Sleekfeeder), but I have been following the Canes scores, progress, and replays of goals on the NHLtv app. Man they are off to a great start and good for them. Not sure that the defense and goaltending is quite there yet, given some of the scores, but there have been a lot of unlikely goal scorers lighting the lamp frequently. What is up with Brock, Nino, Staal? WOW. Those guys are on a tear! If you have guys like that with confidence, talk about depth. Come playoff time, this will be very critical.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Brock has always been a weird player. He always had slick hands...you could tell by just watching him in the shootout....but it never translated to scoring any goals.

Now he seems to be less physical and was focused on being some sort of goal scorer...and it was annoying when the goals weren't coming...seemed like he was happy to get paid and didn't want the bumps and bruises from being an energy guy....but now maybe those soft mitts can keep scoring...who knows.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Youtube-tv'er here that can't watch the games anymore (and former Hurricanes Forum Poster under Sleekfeeder), but I have been following the Canes scores, progress, and replays of goals on the NHLtv app. Man they are off to a great start and good for them. Not sure that the defense and goaltending is quite there yet, given some of the scores, but there have been a lot of unlikely goal scorers lighting the lamp frequently. What is up with Brock, Nino, Staal? WOW. Those guys are on a tear! If you have guys like that with confidence, talk about depth. Come playoff time, this will be very critical.

Welcome!

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
Brock has always been a weird player. He always had slick hands...you could tell by just watching him in the shootout....but it never translated to scoring any goals.

Now he seems to be less physical and was focused on being some sort of goal scorer...and it was annoying when the goals weren't coming...seemed like he was happy to get paid and didn't want the bumps and bruises from being an energy guy....but now maybe those soft mitts can keep scoring...who knows.

So I've been trying to figure out the lines.....Is Brock on the "top" line now? Hard since I can't really watch.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I remember back in Peter's final season, the Canes had serious confidence issues. IIRC, they were in a playoff spot when Dundon took over, then blew a game late against the Caps (I think Hanifin had a miscue or two as part of it). Later on in the season, there were comments by Slavin and Hanifin talking about how they would go into the dressing room with a lead and no confidence they were going to hold the lead (or something like that).

A lot of different players on the team now, a different coach and a different mentality where they now think they are never out of it. It's easy to SAY those things, but I think this team is showing that they really believe it.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC

I used this example because I'm a teacher. Occasionally my students will say something like this, but it's 99% of the time tongue-in-cheek because they know I am pretty firm with my word and with deadlines. We have a laugh. I did have a 6th grade science teacher who legit the class knew we could never take a test. Every day we were scheduled to have a test, the class asked various questions about how her son was doing. Every damn time she took the bait, would talk about her son's marriage and job situation for 30 minutes, and we wouldn't have time for the test. It literally worked multiple times that year.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I couldn't quite tell from the replay, but on McGinn's goal, did he actually bat that pass out of the air, while skating backwards? Or did it land first?

Either way, that was more than just a typical "tap-in".

Posted last night:
Did McGinn bat that out of the air while skating backwards? I'm guessing that's a more impressive goal when you can slow it down than it when it was viewed in real time. [I don't get to watch in real time as the fastest internet I can get is 1.4m, not exactly ideal for streaming]

I just looked at the game highlights on YouTube and it sure looks like he batted it out of the air. Impressive indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad