GDT: WCSF - Game 5 - Winnipeg at Nashville - 8:30 PM Central - NBCSN, CBC, TVAS - Series Tied 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I would leave Hartnell in and leave Fiala out. The second line has been a defensive liability this whole series (Look at the stats as they are all in the negatives). Fiala can play against another team/series where his skill set and less defensive play is need. Right now though we need better defensive play against this Jets team. We need more stronger/bigger bodies out on the ice for this series to play better defensively against this high offense Jets team. We already have enough guys on this team that can score offensively when needed. We aren't going to probably have blow out games against this Jets team anyways so the best way to beat this Jets team is to limit their scoring chances/opportunities/make it difficult for them to score and score at least one more goal than them. Also think scoring first and early and playing tight defensively and also scoring another goal near the end of the third period will be the key for the Pred's success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tex76 and predfan98

pkshowban

The Montreal Predator family
Feb 12, 2017
Who s the boss ? Nashville in 6
Take the lead for the first time in this serie

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well according to the Jet's thread Fiala is in and Hartnell is out. If I was Lavy though I would have kept Hartnell in as he was a big body and made it difficult/hard for the Jets with his hits and just being strong on them w/ his body. The Jets are also going to be putting Perreault over Hendricks in their lineup. Our second and fourth line better play better defensively then if that is the case as they have been soft in this series and let the Jets score at will. Need to work better as a team and get the puck out of our end of the ice and into their end. Otherwise it's not going to be a pretty outcome. Need to play like we did last game but capitalize on our scoring chances when we get them and try keeping the possession of the puck as much as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 204hockey

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Forwards
Filip Forsberg - Ryan Johansen - Viktor Arvidsson
Kevin Fiala - Kyle Turris - Craig Smith
Colton Sissons - Nick Bonino - Austin Watson
Miikka Salomaki - Mike Fisher - Ryan Hartman
Defense
Roman Josi - Ryan Ellis
Mattias Ekholm - P.K. Subban
Matt Irwin - Yannick Weber
Goaltenders
Pekka Rinne
Juuse Saros

lavy obviously wants to play more offensive when he can match lines and has the crowd behind him at home, and more cautious and defensive minded on the road when we don't

I understand Lavy's rational but I think it's a mistake as the crowd won't be in the game if the opponent is up 3 goals or has the lead even though it's a high scoring game. I think Lavy should go w/ the more defensive minded game cause that was the best we have looked all series against this Jets team and at this point I'm just looking for a win and not style points. Guys going to need to play better defensively if they want to win against this Jet's team, especially that second line which has been horrible defensively this whole series. Hopefully they can play well defensively even with Fiala in the lineup. Fiala is more skilled offensively than Hartnell but with his small frame he just isn't very good defensively or along the walls with the opponent. Also it's not like that second line has been very strong offensively anyways, except for the one goal from Fiala, that second line has been MIA. Smith scored but that was more of his own doing and had nothing to do w/ his line/teammates. Hopefully Lavy has a game plan/something up his sleeve to get the players to be able to play both their best defensive and offensive game of the season. Otherwise it will be very difficult to get out of this series.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Why not just put Hartnell in for Salomaki?

I would be fine w/ that but still think the Fiala-Turris-Smith line is our most defensive liability line for us and should be changed up. All three players on that line are small framed bodies and just not that strong defensively or against their opponent. Smith is the toughest of the bunch though on that line so I'm fine w/ him but imo Fiala and Turris though are easily man handled by the Jets players and seem to be able to score easily on them. When Hartnell was on that line it was harder for the opponent to score w/ his big body frame laying into them.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I would be fine w/ that but still think the Fiala-Turris-Smith line is our most defensive liability line for us and should be changed up. All three players on that line are small framed bodies and just not that strong defensively or against their opponent. Smith is the toughest of the bunch though on that line so I'm fine w/ him but imo Fiala and Turris though are easily man handled by the Jets players and seem to be able to score easily on them. When Hartnell was on that line it was harder for the opponent to score w/ his big body frame laying into them.

I agree with what you said, but since the coaches are going to reunite the Turris line anyway, I don't see why Salomaki stays in over Hartnell, who can do all the same things but with more offense.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I agree. I would be fine w/ Hartnell instead of Salomaki. I still think I would have left Hartnell on the second line w/ Smith and Turris though but moved Fiala to the fourth line and had Salomaki sit. That or have Fisher move up to the second line w/ Smith and Fiala and have Turris on the fourth line w/ Hartman and Hartnell. We should have a big bodied person on each of our lines to help balance out the lines defensively. Two small and weak framed bodies in Fiala and Turris together just hasn't been helpful defensively on stopping the other opponent from scoring on us. That line may be able to score sometimes but they don't score on a consistent/regular basis or enough for me to say keep that line together and they have been more of a defensive liability line for us that has hurt us rather than helped us. So for those reasons I think that line needs to be changed up or they need to learn how to play better defensively.

Last edited:

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Lavy knows the Jets have already adjusted for Hartnell so Fiala going back in makes sense. Playing chess on both sides.

I’m already inside the arena and everyone in here would likely blow at least a .10 on a breathalyzer so it’s going to be rocking. Hope everyone is getting a Lyft home. Go Preds.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well the only good thing about having sat Fiala and putting him back into the game is hopefully it works for him to score tonight as sitting Arvy and Forsberg out a game helped them to score when they came back.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I think the reason Salomaki is in is he did not want to touch the 4th line- has been very happy with play of that line

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
aren't some of you guys the same guys that were complaining about putting hartnell in for fiala before the last game?

Not me I was for having Hartnell in the game but there where others that didn't. I mainly liked Hartnell in the game because of his big body and his willingness to go into the dirty areas like the front of the net to score. My only concern w/ him was his foot speed but he seemed fine in the last game so that concern for me is no longer. I was the one who said he should be in the lineup to change things up when we were losing (in the last series I believe) but when he was put in the lineup the team still didn't win and so I knew he was going to be sat down again which he was the next game and I was fine w/ that and understood why. I have always wanted to change that second line though since the playoffs because I have watched them be a defensively liability for us through out the playoffs but was only fine w/ them being together cause occasionally they would seem to show up and score for us.

Last edited:

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
There is a reason Lavy is the coach and we aren't. Most of us questioned taking Fiala out last game but he had a game plan. He a game plan for putting Fiala back in. The Jets have adjusted to our defensive scheme so it isn't going to be as effective. You adjust to what you think will be their adjustments.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
There is a reason Lavy is the coach and we aren't. Most of us questioned taking Fiala out last game but he had a game plan. He a game plan for putting Fiala back in. The Jets have adjusted to our defensive scheme so it isn't going to be as effective. You adjust to what you think will be their adjustments.

That is true. Hopefully his game plan works out tonight. I trust Lavy's judgement and that he will be doing everything in his power to have them be as successful as he can.

Last edited:

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I still can't believe Josi or Ellis hasn't scored a goal in the playoffs yet. Part of that is because the 1st PP unit seems to be out there all the time and the 2nd unit with Josi and Ellis is barely out there. I think one of them scores tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad