• Kulak - Ceci / Broberg - Desharnais

• Bah Gawd, That's Marcus Niemelainen!

• Deploy the fabled 13-5

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Keep the pedal to the metal physically. Keep absolutely hammering their defense every chance we get.

They will probably feel emboldened to retaliate now. If we keep hitting them they will keep getting frustrated and then take penalties. Hitting them is THE key to this game. They have to means to respond to it other than taking retaliation penalties.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Discipline will be key today. League with brutal decision on the Player Safety side of things to try and make game 5 more evenly played, but all that matters is taking it to them on the scoreboard and the series. No excuses, finish this thing off. Need our top guys going a bit supernova for 2 games here to close it out and Skinner has to keep the opposition at bay. Broberg just has to be calm with his extra minutes, he's shown poise, I have faith he can do the job well. Steal this one and then hammer them at home in game 6.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really impossible to call this game. I figured the Oilers would win game 4. Its what they do is win with backs to the wall. This one is different with series tied. Its really about which team gets into their game quicker and more consistently. The team that transitions pucks better and establishes in ozone better will win. we've seen both clubs claim that in the series in different games.

The cheatcode is that its only the Vegas D that have to be facing McDrai. Of course no other club have that kind of threat.

If the Oilers play a concerted team game and get dialed in they win.

Reactions: bone

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Lee and Kozari tonight

0A340C4B-62A4-4802-B1BE-C2410882A08F.gif

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
At least Broberg gets a shot to see some decent minutes.

He’s been pretty good in his limited time.

Good test tonight, Vegas and Bettman vs. Oilers. Hope the guys have it in them.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
IMG_3923.gif

Current state of mind on hockey today.

NHL. You’ve killed my soul and love for the game.

Regardless. Win….

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Lee and Kozari tonight

They were OK in the Kings series. I remember people were expecting the worst and they called a decent game in that series.

The Oilers will, and should be able to determine which team prevails today. But thats up to the Oilers who unpack an inconsistent game, and its chiefly up to McD who has not been himself to this point in the playoffs. Specifically McD needs to score. Stop with the ridiculous plays trying to beat 4 defenders and passing off to Janmark when you're right on edge of crease with a premium scoring opportunity. Somehow the scoring confidence is off for McD right now. Needs to change. Drai is a bit banged up and lots of mileage. He's been doing most of the digging this playoffs and has slowed down last couple games.

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Don't let Vegas get you into penalty trouble. Vegas will be running around again. Draw penalties, go on the PP and make them pay. On D, I expect the top 4 d to get a lot of minutes. Hopefully Broberg-Desharnais just keep the score even while they are on the ice. Jacked for this game. Huge chance to go up 3-2. Massive game! Put in the effort boys like you did in games 2 and 4. Let's go!

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I'm expecting a big win. Both flat losses have come off extended road trips.

1st was a holiday on the beach after the Kings series.

2nd was after the 1st plus 2 games in Vegas.

Mcdavid will dominate tonight and Drai will be extra pissy.

5-2 Oilers

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
They were OK in the Kings series. I remember people were expecting the worst and they called a decent game in that series.

The Oilers will, and should be able to determine which team prevails today. But thats up to the Oilers who unpack an inconsistent game, and its chiefly up to McD who has not been himself to this point in the playoffs. Specifically McD needs to score. Stop with the ridiculous plays trying to beat 4 defenders and passing off to Janmark when you're right on edge of crease with a premium scoring opportunity. Somehow the scoring confidence is off for McD right now. Needs to change. Drai is a bit banged up and lots of mileage. He's been doing most of the digging this playoffs and has slowed down last couple games.
That play was infuriating…clear shot to the net and tried to pass through two god damn defenders.

He had the cleanest shot in probably the entire game and does that. I was swearing profusely when he did that lol.

We need you McD!!! Enter god mode!!!

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Basically because Vegas have been running 6 D considerable minutes, just rotating through pairings whereas Oilers have run primarily 4D getting big minutes and 3 other D getting whats leftover. So that now we have 3D left that have been carrying minutes. Vegas have 5 left. It isn't really just a Nurse vs Pietrangelo. Its that Vegas have better D depth.
Outside of the Desharnais/Hague descrepancy which is a byproduct of Edmonton going 11/7 for 3 of the 4 games, it doesn't look like the descrepancy is gigantic. The one game where they went 12/6 Desharnais was right there with Whitecloud/Hague in minutes and actually played his best game of the playoffs.

1683909166829.png
1683909223955.png

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That play was infuriating…clear shot to the net and tried to pass through two god damn defenders.

He had the cleanest shot in probably the entire game and does that. I was swearing profusely when he did that lol.

We need you McD!!! Enter god mode!!!
Yeah it was bizarre. The sequence leading up to it also revealed that whatever McDavid has as injury its not really limiting him that much. he was flying out there for about 5mins. Its more about why we're not seeing more of that top gear play from him. But that pass really showed his confidence and decisioning is off. Drai made some bad passes too. he had Booch open in front of net and passed behind him. Completely missed him..?!?

Reactions: Ibanez

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I do

Well its us vs the world now.
When we thought the league was against us going into Game 4 vs. LA, this pair came in to ref Game 4 and reffed the best game to that point. I'm actually somewhat happy with this draw. The Kozari conspiracy is old news not based on fact in the last few years.

They generally stick, but didn't they red a decent game for us in round 1? Or am I misremembering?
Kozari's been fine in Edmonton games for awhile now. Chris Lee, I'm less sure of.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Outside of the Desharnais/Hague descrepancy which is a byproduct of Edmonton going 11/7 for 3 of the 4 games, it doesn't look like the descrepancy is gigantic.

View attachment 707236View attachment 707237
True, but earlier in series was more of a discrepancy, and has been as well in entirety of playoffs which is the numbers I was citing. Kulak and Desharnais are seeing upticks in usage in recent games but in the case of Desharnais that is more a problem than solution. Ceci as well has been a problem.

Its a fascinating game tonight as the question is will the Oilers top skill unravel the remaining Vegas D or will Vegas strong forcheck get to say Ceci, Desharnais, Broberg. Even Ekholm, as good as he is has had some wilting under a Knights forecheck.

Oilers need to control puck and consistently establish to win. Vegas need to front foot and have strong effective forecheck pressure to win. But Vegas possibly more tentative tonight without Pietrangelo.

Heres something I key on. Teams that have aggressive intent against us will move and win pucks that are directly in front of them. Those clubs when they play that way challenge us. But teams that see that puck in front of them and hesitate or back pedal, they will lose against us. Look for it. Its one of my reads on how confident any team is playing us. You'll recognize which it is by first period. To wit McLellans hang back strategy killed out some of the pursuit/speed strengths of his team. he essentially had a flies on rice team sit back and be stationary.

If Oilers are successful in making vegas back up a lot tonight the Oilers prevail.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I hated the Kings whole last series, and while I obviously wanted the Oil to win, I had no ill-will towards the Knights this series.

That has changed. I hope we come out like torpedos hitting everything that moves. f*** this team, we play on the line but they crossed it.

They crossed it because top to bottom they're a group of p***y hockey players.

Carrier and Kolesar are the only two players on their team that can even make a case that they're tough in any way, but every time they try and stir the pot it just ends up being laughable. Throwing a tantrum and starting the stick work is literally their only option to respond to what we're doing to them physically.

Yeah it was bizarre. The sequence leading up to it also revealed that whatever McDavid has as injury its not really limiting him that much. he was flying out there for about 5mins. Its more about why we're not seeing more of that top gear play from him. But that pass really showed his confidence and decisioning is off. Drai made some bad passes too. he had Booch open in front of net and passed behind him. Completely missed him..?!?

I'm with you on this. McDavid doesn't strike me as obviously injured. He might be slightly, but he's still creating a lot out there. His puck decisions have just generally been really poor. There's a severe lack of shooting, forcing passes when he shouldn't, or holding onto it too long and throwing it away when he's basically isolated himself.

Appears more of a mental adjustment needs to be made than anything else IMO.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
True, but earlier in series was more of a discrepancy, and has been as well in entirety of playoffs which is the numbers I was citing. Kulak and Desharnais are seeing upticks in usage in recent games but in the case of Desharnais that is more a problem than solution. Ceci as well has been a problem.

Its a fascinating game tonight as the question is will the Oilers top skill unravel the remaining Vegas D or will Vegas strong forcheck get to say Ceci, Desharnais, Broberg. Even Ekholm, as good as he is has had some wilting under a Knights forecheck.

Oilers need to control puck and consistently establish to win. Vegas need to front foot and have strong effective forecheck pressure to win. But Vegas possibly more tentative tonight without Pietrangelo.

Heres something I key on. Teams that have aggressive intent against us will move and win pucks that are directly in front of them. Those clubs when they play that way challenge us. But teams that see that puck in front of them and hesitate or back pedal, they will lose against us. Look for it. Its one of my reads on how confident any team is playing us. You'll recognize which it is by first period. To wit McLellans hang back strategy killed out some of the pursuit/speed strengths of his team. he essentially had a flies on rice team sit back and be stationary.

If Oilers are successful in making vegas back up a lot tonight the Oilers prevail.

I definitely like the idea of one of McDavid or Draisaitl getting regular shifts vs. Whitecloud instead of Pietrangelo. Especially when McDavid's on the verge of having a breakout game 5on5 if you believe in PDOs and such.

The way I see it, looking specifically at the impact here, here's what we're going to see:

- Ekholm gets some elevation which isn't a concern at all in my opinion as he's close to a number 1 anyways
- Kulak get a push into the 20 minutes realm, something he's done most of the season and had a good game doing so in last year's playoffs. He's also been playing his best hockey as an Oiler in the last month or so.
- Broberg is the biggest concern, but in his limited minutes, he's been decent, so here's hoping he can gobble up 12 minutes or more.

vs.

- Theodore getting some elevation which is probably fine for Vegas, though there's no debate about who's their number one between him and Pietrangelo, unlike Edmonton where there is a bit of a debate.
- Whitecloud getting elevated into top 4. He's been solid in the series, against everyone but McDrai, but now he's going to be facing one of them almost every shift.
- Hutton is a veteran but will be playing on his wrong side, or else they need to go to Brayden Pachel who has even less experience than Broberg.

The biggest concern in all of this is that the game is in Vegas, so they at least have a better chance at controlling the defensive matchups where Edmonton could get stuck non-optimal matchups defensively sometimes.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Demoralize Vegas please. Beat them and the refs, do it clean so they can’t call 12 penalties and they know we’re better.

Also force them to play quick, if quick starts game 6 we win the series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad