• Kulak - Ceci / Broberg - Desharnais

• Bah Gawd, That's Marcus Niemelainen!

• Deploy the fabled 13-5

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Despite Theodore literally winning Edmonton the game, Theodore-McNabb would make for a stronger shutdown pair vs McDavid than Pietrangelo anyways. Maybe Cassidy adjusts.

I expect Nuge to continue the good play into this one - it feels like at some point, McDavid will have a take-over game. Maybe here.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
This is the opportunity young guys need. Imagine how fired up Broberg is now knowing he is going to get some actual minutes. Must be exciting. This is the opportunity players get to make a mark and solidify their spot on the roster. If he plays well in bigger minutes he will be able to be relied upon regularly. Make or break moment for the kid.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
We won last year in LA with out nurse, we will do it again in Vegas. Definitely big minutes are gone. But I think vegas has a bigger hole with petro gone. Forwards are gonna feast on them tonight

Reactions: dsi and lopper

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The important thing here is discipline.

The league wasn't going to suspend the slasher for more than 1 game because they are essentially incompetent and incoherent. There is always a lack of clarity. Look at the officiating thru these playoffs (across the league) if you want more evidence.

The response to incompetence is to stay on the path and ignore the noise. Bring the "A" game like they have in games #2 and #4 and the result is clear because the Oilers are the more talented team.

The boys win tonight in a tight one and come home to finish the series.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Basically because Vegas have been running 6 D considerable minutes, just rotating through pairings whereas Oilers have run primarily 4D getting big minutes and 3 other D getting whats leftover. So that now we have 3D left that have been carrying minutes. Vegas have 5 left. It isn't really just a Nurse vs Pietrangelo. Its that Vegas have better D depth.
Last game the top minute Vegas defender was on the ice longer than the top Oiler D and the lowest Vegas D was on the ice for less time than the lowest minute Oiler D.

btw, Broberg has done surprisingly well in limited minutes. He's +3 in the playoffs; so, unlike Desharnais, he has not be a sieve. Maybe he could shoulder some extra responsibility for one game and not drown.
VD played 16:38 last game and was +1.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bring in Niemo for the bone crushing questionable hits and wear the Knights down in game 5. If we win the cup, his name gets added to the Stanley Cup.

Pietrangelo is the better defenseman but Nurse is more important to the Oilers...it's a wash IMO

Vegas is surprisingly not very good on home ice this season and even in the playoffs...will tonight be the first close game? I think so
Knights best Dman got suspended. Our best Dman is still playing

Reactions: RattsSSV and nuck

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Really hope they come out fired up and rally around the league once again f***ing them at a crucial time.

I have no doubt the dirty Vegas will be out in full force now that it’s open season on attempts to injure. Gotta stay disciplined just long enough to get a healthy lead, then start making every single golden knight have nightmares about being within stick distance of an oiler in game 6.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Kulak was able to elevate in the playoffs last year when leaned on for more minutes. He has looked great in these playoffs, so I'm hoping that for one game he can do it again.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Nurse was pretty good last game (outside of the one incident). He usually follows up a good game with a head scratching game. Good opportunity for Broberg. Hopefully this galvanizes the team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nurse has been altering good and bad games all playoffs. He played great last game which means he would have been horrible tonight and then great in game 6. Hopefully my theory checks out.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Pietrangelo is the better defenseman but Nurse is more important to the Oilers...it's a wash IMO

Vegas is surprisingly not very good on home ice this season and even in the playoffs...will tonight be the first close game? I think so
Pietrangelo seems to get considerably more minutes then anyone else on the Knights, kind of like Nurse before we got Ekholm. It's a big loss for them because Theodore now moves up to the top spot and isn't as good defensively and can't take as much punishment.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Enjoy some pre-game activities with the family...

fY15TnN.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's simply not true. Only Nurse was playing what can be called big minutes. Bouchard, if you factor in all the juidy PP minutes. As to the rest, even Ekholm, who's arguably a top pairing d-man plays less than 20 mins, which basically is a benchmark for a top 4 d-men on most teams. Running 7 d-men allows them to reduce minutes significantly.
Well heres the numbers. 6 Knights D have averaged over 18mins a game.

Whereas only 4 oilers D have been seeing as much as 18mins a game.

The numbers were even more pronounced earlier in playoffs as Desharnais was not getting as many minutes but lately Woody has been using him more, but not to great effect.

Essentially the Oilers are reduced to Ekholm, Booch, Kulak as being reliable. I don't think Ceci has even been good this season or playoffs.

Attachments

• 1683905534133.png
    1683905534133.png
    115 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad