GDT: WCSF #2 | "Lost A Battle, Go Win The War" | Oilers @ Flames | May 20 2022, 8:30PM MT | SN, CBC, ESPN/630CHED, FAN960

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Overall it is not looking good. Drai and Nurse being badly injured really sucks.

"Nice" stat from LA series:

At 5on5 LA targeted Duncan Keith 49 times in a zone entry, Keith allowed 39 carry-ins with possession. Calgary has even more speed and better players than LA so that was and will continue to be issue. Keith can't skate that well anymore so he has to fall back. Nurse playing injured just magnifies the problem. What the Oilers could do to limit that? Play Brett Kulak a lot more. He got targeted 36 times and allowed just 10 carry-ins with possession. That is just massive difference in ability to defend rushes.

And just be over with Archibald in the top9. It is really hard to construct good lines because Drai can't play center right now. Oilers got out-chanced and out-scored by LA when 97 wasn't on the ice and the quality of the opponent got a lot stronger. Difficult puzzle for Woodcroft.

Weird but irrelevant stat abouth Keith. Zone entries weren't the Bouch- Keith problem.
They were very effective for 4 games, and the 2 games they weren't it was bad clearing by Keith that burned them.

The Nurse- Ceci combo was guilty of the the worst possession getting hemmed on the cycle

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
He knows he doesn't play for calgary anymore right???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220520-103220_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-103220_Instagram.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 5

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Honestly, Nurse should not be playing with the injury he has. Hockey requires crazy amount of core strength for D men especially.
This doesn't have anything to do with Nurse facing the wrong direction and abandoning his coverage. This guy is not what everyone on this forum thinks he is. Neither is Hyman, Bouchard or McLeod.

These guys all refuse to play the coaches system. The players mentioned are incredibly selfish and defensive breakdowns almost always starts with one of the aforementioned.

Maybe they'll skate around fast, create some offence... it doesn't matter. Sometimes they'll have a really strong defensive game but it's always followed by a defensive disaster.

We won't ever win with these players. None of them are on board with structured defensive hockey. And it's these same guys letting down the team.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Oil can take a page out of the St. Louis Blue's playbook from last night. The AVs were really dominate in game 1 but were slowed down considerably last night. Hard forechecking , clogging the neutral zone and a general " I give a damn" effort by the entire team won the game for them. Good on the Blues for bouncing back.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
He knows he doesn't play for calgary anymore right???
I think the issue is that the flames team knows Mike Smith weak areas as a former team member. And probably knows his habits a little more in detail than most teams.
But that also goes the other way around as well but doesn't seem like he's utilizing it...yet.
Smith out-duelled Quick, I think he can stand head to head with Markstrom, but flames have stronger firepower compared to the Kings.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'm not a Smith fan, but I do appreciate that he owns up to his performances sometimes.

With that said, it seems he's going a bit too far. There's no reason to wear a hat showing how many goals you plan to give up in the first five minutes of the next game. Just unnecessary.

View attachment 549686
Maybe he’s advertising how many playoff shutouts he will have after tonight. ;)

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I'm not a Smith fan, but I do appreciate that he owns up to his performances sometimes.

With that said, it seems he's going a bit too far. There's no reason to wear a hat showing how many goals you plan to give up in the first five minutes of the next game. Just unnecessary.

View attachment 549686
😂

Actually respect the fact that he spoke candidly. I expect him to be pretty solid this game but the issue is the fact we got drai and nurse at 50%.

Ill go with an Oilers win 5 3.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
😂

Actually respect the fact that he spoke candidly. I expect him to be pretty solid this game but the issue is the fact we got drai and nurse at 50%.

Ill go with an Oilers win 5 3.
Maybe he’s advertising how many playoff shutouts he will have after tonight. ;)

I like the optimism boys. I like it a lot.

Let's f***ing go!

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Expecting a much different game tonight. Focus on D, on both sides, and low on shots. Oilers forget last game and come out of this on top. I can see a 2-1 or 2-0 ending tonight with the W going to the good guys.

Woody can't go 11-7 again with Draisaitl barely playing if he's still injured. Kassian needs to bring pain to Johnny crybaby all game long.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Um...

I was banned from viewing the Oilers and Leafs board after posting the Hyman meme until July.

Which wonderful mod helped me out?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Damn, put both Holloway and Malone in for #15 and Kassian.

If I had to guess, I would say Archibald and McLeod are sitting tonight (McLeod was just waaaaaaayyyyy to passive in game 1). Not surprised Holloway is drawing in, and I'm very interested to see how he does. And I suppose Yamamoto is getting dropped down the lineup to give the bottom 6 a kick in the ass.

Reactions: ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If I had to guess, I would say Archibald and McLeod are sitting tonight (McLeod was just waaaaaaayyyyy to passive in game 1). Not surprised Holloway is drawing in, and I'm very interested to see how he does. And I suppose Yamamoto is getting dropped down the lineup to give the bottom 6 a kick in the ass.
They didn’t say Holloway was in, just that he was practicing with the main group.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
#15 100%, not likely they sit McLeod, he may not have had a strong game, but he does so much. Kassian was as irrelevant has he's been all playoffs last game, and the Flames love their meatbags running around.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They didn’t say Holloway was in, just that he was practicing with the main group.
True, but this was AFTER Rishaug said he didn't think Holloway was going to get the call. So, honestly, I could see him getting a look, because he's easy to shelter, especially running 11 and 7, if he looks over his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad