Series Talk: WCQF Round 1: (3) San Jose Sharks vs (2) Anaheim Ducks

Winner / how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpaceCoastShark

Look what the cat dragged in
Apr 8, 2009
Space Coast, FL
That’s honestly really impressive. Good on Doug and Pete for recognizing the systematic issue and changing it. Not a lot of GMs/coaches in this league are willing to change like that. This team noticeably got better towards the end of November/December and then the scoring really picked up. Meier’s improvement is a perfect microcosm for this change, IMO.

Yeah, no more "trusting the pro-cess", eh?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Jones has the exact same amount of games played and same GAA as Matt Murray. And a better save percentage. BUT...5 less wins and 2 less Cups. But his raw goalie #'s are better. Is Murray really clutch and Jones not?
I don't think anyone mentions Jones as a clutch goalie. Murray they do, we agree on that. It's less a knock on Jones than overanalyzing Murray's impact on winning a Cup imo. I don't see anyone really knock Jones, he's just not the first guy anyone thinks of when we talk about great players. Oh well. I'm happy to have an excellent #1G who is fairly young and has an outstanding playoff record. Jones isn't perfect, but I'm so glad we traded for him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Did anyone hear the national TV broadcast last night mention that the Sharks changed the way they play a quarter into the season? Apparently Doug Wilson stated during an interview that they took a close look at the play of Vegas early in the season and used the data they collected to change their strategy. Obviously the modifications payed off as they started winning as the new system went into effect.

I found it interesting that they were open to changing based on a new team’s success and give them credit for the changes they made. They are a faster and more effective team, no doubt.

Anyone hear something similar that can provide additional context?
That's cool. I want the GM and coach to be at least as smart (or smarter) as us, and to have the humility and awareness to recognize a systematic issue when they see it. It does feel like the team is very different. I've got a really good feeling about this team. I have before, but something is different. Even beyond no Jumbo or Marleau.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Did anyone hear the national TV broadcast last night mention that the Sharks changed the way they play a quarter into the season? Apparently Doug Wilson stated during an interview that they took a close look at the play of Vegas early in the season and used the data they collected to change their strategy. Obviously the modifications payed off as they started winning as the new system went into effect.

I found it interesting that they were open to changing based on a new team’s success and give them credit for the changes they made. They are a faster and more effective team, no doubt.

Anyone hear something similar that can provide additional context?
Mike Johnson essentially said that after 20 games Doug wanted to know why the sharks were having so much trouble scoring goals. So they watched tape of Vegas and made some alterations to their breakouts and offensive zone play. I don’t remember the specific tactics unfortunately.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Sharks got more goals and W's than the So Cal teams did in only one game haha... So Cal, 0-8, with 7 total goals.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
My expectations are low for this series, so I hope the Sharks exceed them and prove me wrong. I still picked Sharks in 6 because I refuse to predict a loss but the last few games of the season have left a really sour taste in my mouth.

Just wanted to quote myself so I can eat crow. My expectations were very low to begin the series and the Sharks exceeded them in every way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad