Series Talk: WCQF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (P3) Vegas Golden Knights - Part II

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
If the league really did apologize to Vegas and Furlatt and O'Hallaran are out of the playoffs because of it, it really does feel like the Sharks beat Vegas and the league.

Did the league even apologize when Justin Williams shoveled Stalock into his own net for a goal?
we will never know because our management is too classy to air out dirty laundry.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If the league really did apologize to Vegas and Furlatt and O'Hallaran are out of the playoffs because of it, it really does feel like the Sharks beat Vegas and the league.

Did the league even apologize when Justin Williams shoveled Stalock into his own net for a goal?

DeBoer said they called him about the Boston screwjob. The difference is he showed some class and didn’t go into further detail.

The league is not out to get us.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
DeBoer said they called him about the Boston screwjob. The difference is he showed some class and didn’t go into further detail.

The league is not out to get us.
Hmmm. Didn't recall that happening.

Just seems out of character for the league as they'll usually go out of their way to justify any questionable call refs make, like with the Eakin goal.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I feel like there'd be less of a kerfuffle if it was a major on Stastny for a slewfoot. The incident was mostly incidental but the action was really severe.

Reactions: Sandisfan

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
That's savage haha

Also, I want to point out, not that Jones was perfection or anything, but we are not moving on without his absolutely absurd performance in Game 5 (and great performances in 6 and 7). Dude waited to literally the very last moment to stop playing like hot garbage. I feel like before game 5 he just said "Screw this new stuff I've been working on, back to basics".

Playoffs shouldn't be the time to still be "working on anything." Glad he went back to basics and the D / C stayed high.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
One last thing I have to say about this series is that I am so glad it was the first round because I'm so glad that we got Randy Hahn for all of these games. I've complained about him and Baker ad nauseam this season but Randy absolutely bodied the NBCSN's revolving door of PBP guys on every single goal and his calls on every goal in the comeback were just incredible.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

just quietly changed the f***ing rules, nbd

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
One last thing I have to say about this series is that I am so glad it was the first round because I'm so glad that we got Randy Hahn for all of these games. I've complained about him and Baker ad nauseam this season but Randy absolutely bodied the NBCSN's revolving door of PBP guys on every single goal and his calls on every goal in the comeback were just incredible.
Not a big Baker fan for Color but after nearly 30 years there is no one I'd rather have than Randy calling the goals.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
This apology bullshit... I don't think the league actually apologized. Not buying it at all. NHL never throws their refs under the bus that way. The Vegas guy may have misconstrued something the league said as an apology but I don't think it was. Probably said something like another ref may have called it differently or that they'll look at the review process or whatever but no way did they tell vegas that it was a bad call and they were sorry. If the Sharks win the cup this year Vegas will never let it go that there is an asterisks. I'm just wondering why there isn't more push back about how the Sharks had game 2 stolen. Just say sure they can have game 7 back as soon as the Sharks get game 2 back. Series would have been over in 6 then. Vegas should be happy they got the one extra game.

Also the idiot douche on NHL network (?) who stupidly said that vegas was the better team for 6 games and 50 minutes until the penalty... What an idiot. Sharks were clearly better in 2 of the wins and the game 2 loss. And the other win, Jones was better than anyone on either team. Not to mention they carried the play for the most part in game 7, they just got a couple bad breaks and wait for it... another bad call that went against the Sharks on the 2nd goal that should have disallowed the high stick.

Last edited:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I always loved Randy and frankly Bakes, while not as good at first, has really come into his own. His brutal honesty in a sport that constantly glamorizes being strong really, really warmed me to him.

But yeah, I could (and have) listen to Randy call those goals every night. They give me chills.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Hmmm. Didn't recall that happening.

Just seems out of character for the league as they'll usually go out of their way to justify any questionable call refs make, like with the Eakin goal.

Who said they went out of there way to throw the refs under the bus?

The deboer one was most likely the league calling and explaining what the full explanation of the rule that they used to make the call. Refs can explain a bit on the ice, but for the most part they have to hurry up the next play so they give just a general explanation of the ruling and then move on.

And the only truely public announcement we have gotten from the nhl is from the head of officiating that said the refs on the ice called a cross checking penalty and in there opinion the injury that happened to pavs was enough to make the penalty a 5 minute major.

This apology thing is just a beat writer for the knights that didnt even qoute mcphee or the owners own words when he sent the tweet out. It was a paraphrase of what they supposedly said to him.

The tweet could be right and that the nhl did say sorry but what kind of sorry?

Saying we are sorry that the call happened and it was a bad call and we will look into ways to make it better in the future.

Is much different then the nhl calling and saying we are sorry that the game ended up the way it did. But we are sticking with the refs call on the ice.

The one thing that leads me to believe the nhl agrees with the call on the ice is they haven't rescinded the game misconduct penalty yet. Which is something they always do when they don't agree with the calls on the ice.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
How many of you think the NHL dodged a bullet with the elimination of Las Vegas?

I'm think it could very well have been so. If the Knights made it to the SCF for the 2nd year in a row, and with their exemption from the upcoming expansion draft, there would be an uproar from the fans (not of the Knights). Much like, or maybe worse, than the Oilers winning the lottery so many times.

However, it's clear to me the owners are more interested in expansion fees than anything else at this point. Buy a SCF competitive team is going to be well over $1B next time around. Las Vegas owners got in cheap, imo.

I seem to recall the Las Vegas owners don't share in the split of the Seattle franchise fee.

Listening to the whining from Marschessult and others, it seems like they're addicted to this preferential treatment. He hopes everyone has forgotten the fact that he was on the ice for the short-handed OT GW among other missed opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: goflyakite

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

The deboer one was most likely the league calling and explaining what the full explanation of the rule that they used to make the call. Refs can explain a bit on the ice, but for the most part they have to hurry up the next play so they give just a general explanation of the ruling and then move on.

And the only truely public announcement we have gotten from the nhl is from the head of officiating that said the refs on the ice called a cross checking penalty and in there opinion the injury that happened to pavs was enough to make the penalty a 5 minute major.

This apology thing is just a beat writer for the knights that didnt even qoute mcphee or the owners own words when he sent the tweet out. It was a paraphrase of what they supposedly said to him.

Saying we are sorry that the call happened and it was a bad call and we will look into ways to make it better in the future.

Is much different then the nhl calling and saying we are sorry that the game ended up the way it did. But we are sticking with the refs call on the ice.

The one thing that leads me to believe the nhl agrees with the call on the ice is they haven't rescinded the game misconduct penalty yet. Which is something they always do when they don't agree with the calls on the ice.
I never mentioned anything about a bus. Must have quoted the wrong dude.

I agree with that last part. Desjardins had his rescinded years ago on that hit on Mayers. Oddly enough Dustin Brown didn't on his hit on Hertl, but he wasn't suspended, either. I'll never understand that one.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
This apology bull****... I don't think the league actually apologized. Not buying it at all. NHL never throws their refs under the bus that way. The Vegas guy may have misconstrued something the league said as an apology but I don't think it was. Probably said something like another ref may have called it differently or that they'll look at the review process or whatever but no way did they tell vegas that it was a bad call and they were sorry. If the Sharks win the cup this year Vegas will never let it go that there is an asterisks. I'm just wondering why there isn't more push back about how the Sharks had game 2 stolen. Just say sure they can have game 7 back as soon as the Sharks get game 2 back. Series would have been over in 6 then. Vegas should be happy they got the one extra game.

Also the idiot *****e on NHL network (?) who stupidly said that vegas was the better team for 6 games and 50 minutes until the penalty... What an idiot. Sharks were clearly better in 2 of the wins and the game 2 loss. And the other win, Jones was better than anyone on either team. Not to mention they carried the play for the most part in game 7, they just got a couple bad breaks and wait for it... another bad call that went against the Sharks on the 2nd goal that should have disallowed the high stick.
The refs aren't playing any more games in the post season this year even though they haven't missed any for over a decade. Certainly hints at the apology being somewhat legit but the context is still uncertain.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Yes, Vegas isn't getting a penny from the Seattle expansion fees (and won't be losing a player to expansion draft).

Wow so the entire talent pool of each team will be affected by the expansion draft except a team that went to the cup finals last year? Just make the VGK owners the commissioners of the NHL already. :scared:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wow so the entire talent pool of each team will be affected by the expansion draft except a team that went to the cup finals last year? Just make the VGK owners the commissioners of the NHL already. :scared:

Well, when they don't get a penny of the split of 650 million, you kind of accept that reasoning. That's 21 mil pretty much that they're not getting from it.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Well, when they don't get a penny of the split of 650 million, you kind of accept that reasoning. That's 21 mil pretty much that they're not getting from it.

How much revenue does a solid cup run produce? Seems like 21 mil would be a drop in the bucket for Hasso; I bet he'd like to dodge the upcoming expansion draft for that price.

Last edited:

goflyakite

Apr 29, 2011
Ontario

I still can’t believe that goal was upheld.

So often when a goal is being reviewed I think back to it. Like in round one, Ovechkin scored a goal where he poked the puck out from underneath the goalie while also hitting him and it was called back. That play wasn’t even close to the Stalock goal. From my memory (could be exaggerating) I feel like Stalock was pushed back two feet from his initial position lol

goflyakite

Apr 29, 2011
Ontario
The refs aren't playing any more games in the post season this year even though they haven't missed any for over a decade. Certainly hints at the apology being somewhat legit but the context is still uncertain.
It could mean that “they” apologized and that the way to discipline the officials was to have them not advance in the playoffs. Though it could just as easily be seen as a way to deescalate the situation.

The same officials are in round two? All of the already angry people would never shut up about it (even more so than right now). Could you imagine if the same officials reffed another Sharks game? The controversy would be unbelievable.

The other questionable thing about this apology (one of many questionable things about it), is that it was what, one executive? How many of them are there? Did they get a conference call going and all apologize?

All Vegas (players, coaches, managers, owners) was talking about after the series was the call. A good way to stop that from continuing is to just have a meaningless sorry.

I just don’t see a reason for the league to not officially come out with a statement or even take away the game misconduct if they thought the call was wrong.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Can you give an example of them rescinding a game misconduct penalty?

Reactions: do0glas

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Can you give an example of them rescinding a game misconduct penalty?
I've seen this a bunch over the years. That's how you can typically tell the ref over reacted. I think Jumbo got a match penalty, intent to injure automatic review by league (5 & a game misconduct) in like his 3rd game in teal playing against the Bruins but it was changed to just 5 min boarding afterward. If they don't change Eakins penalty then you know for certain there was no apology.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad