Series Talk: WCQF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (P3) Vegas Golden Knights - Part II

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Pretty crazy when you'd rather have an ancient Mike Smith right now than your actual "#1" goaltender.

Let's just get this over with tomorrow. I don't even want any false hope, just put them outta their misery, Vegas.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I don't know how I feel about Jones starting.

He's been awful all year, he's had chances all year to improve, he had one of the worst Sharks seasons for a goalie and he played a lot of games.

When do you say enough and throw in the towel on the goalie? I'm done supporting Pete.

Reactions: McDeez and Phu

McDeez

Feb 8, 2007
San Jose
At this point, it is what it is. DeBoer has lost his mind, Jones has lost his confidence, Sharks defense is a mess, and to be fair, this isn't an overnight fix. It's a system problem. When you refuse to adapt on the fly, you aren't going to fix the problem. That's DeBoers issue, he's way too stubborn in his ways. Vegas has the Sharks figured out and it won't change until they decided to throw the whole game plan away and play a defensive style game. When all of your defensemen do not have recover speed from pinching, it's time to scrap that and keep them at the blue line. It also doesn't help when your forwards refuse to cover for them. Frustrating.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
At this point, it is what it is. DeBoer has lost his mind, Jones has lost his confidence, Sharks defense is a mess, and to be fair, this isn't an overnight fix. It's a system problem. When you refuse to adapt on the fly, you aren't going to fix the problem. That's DeBoers issue, he's way too stubborn in his ways. Vegas has the Sharks figured out and it won't change until they decided to throw the whole game plan away and play a defensive style game. When all of your defensemen do not have recover speed from pinching, it's time to scrap that and keep them at the blue line. It also doesn't help when your forwards refuse to cover for them. Frustrating.

I think the TL;dr version is "Fire the high floor, low ceiling stubborn coach and try to hire a better one while trying to re-sign EK65."

Reactions: SnarkAttack and Phu

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
kane needs to grow up.
I dunno, I feel like Kane has been mostly under control when the games were close and only got out of hand when the games did. I remember when the Sharks got upset by Calgary when they had Kipper and Iginla lost his shit at the end of each game they lost. The same with a some of the other teams the Sharks would eventually lose to in other years (edmonton with Pronger etc). Previous to this year, the Sharks almost never did that. I prefer to see that losing matters and they they won't roll over and die in these games. Honestly this series has been glaring for it's lack of physicality to me compared to how it used to be in the NHL playoffs. Way too many guys skating by opportunities to finish their checks especially on the Sharks side.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I dunno, I feel like Kane has been mostly under control when the games were close and only got out of hand when the games did. I remember when the Sharks got upset by Calgary when they had Kipper and Iginla lost his **** at the end of each game they lost. The same with a some of the other teams the Sharks would eventually lose to in other years (edmonton with Pronger etc). Previous to this year, the Sharks almost never did that. I prefer to see that losing matters and they they won't roll over and die in these games. Honestly this series has been glaring for it's lack of physicality to me compared to how it used to be in the NHL playoffs. Way too many guys skating by opportunities to finish their checks especially on the Sharks side.
he tilted himself out of this game, IMO. he was not effective through most of it and it was clear he wasn't looking to play hockey first. he needs to keep even end of game shenanigans under control because he risks suspensions. but more than that there is a line between playing tough and sending messages, and melting down and making the other team actually feel better and your team feel worse, and to me he's over that line.

also, in this game because shenanigans were starting to occur, the refs put the sharks to sleep with a slew of ridiculous penalties. that was really terrible on their part, because the sharks have shown they can score a lot of goals in a hurry if they get rolling. but if they are going to do that in response to kane taking some liberties, that's not good on his part.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
he tilted himself out of this game, IMO. he was not effective through most of it and it was clear he wasn't looking to play hockey first. he needs to keep even end of game shenanigans under control because he risks suspensions. but more than that there is a line between playing tough and sending messages, and melting down and making the other team actually feel better and your team feel worse, and to me he's over that line.
Maybe. Go back and watch the end of those playoff games with Calgary, I think you'll see their players act in a similar fashion. I don't have an issue with what he's done so far other than getting his stick up on Reaves on the bench a couple games ago. I always prefer to try and tame a tiger than teach a bunny to growl.

Lateralis

Jun 8, 2011
LivaMO
At least it ends today and I don't have to look forward to being super pissed and angry every day at what we almost every fan saw coming months ago. Game 4 was a perfect culmination of that. So ob piously Jones will not be bought out and PDB and EK65 will both get huge contract extensions.

I will say, that the sharks did play well for long stretches in game 4 and besides PDB sabotaging the team with his terrible coaching and line combo's, Jones' history making terribleness, NHL reffing and EK65..........We did quite well .

But at least it ends today!!!! I picked Vegas in 5 before the series started.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
The Sharks fan in me is saying, well we've never come back from down 3-1 now is the time. The real Sharks fan in me is saying, this isn't the team that's going to do it. The team is a mess right now emotionally and physically.

Sadly it is probably Karlsson's last game in teal. I can't imagine this season really sold him on staying in SJ, but I personally don't think anything was going to. He just didn't seem like and Sharks player long term. Hopefully I'm wrong but I've had this feeling since November. His short stint of dominance made me somewhat hopeful but once the injury happened that declined really quickly. Players usually seem to fall in love with SJ right away. I don't think he has.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The Sharks fan in me is saying, well we've never come back from down 3-1 now is the time. The real Sharks fan in me is saying, this isn't the team that's going to do it. The team is a mess right now emotionally and physically.

Sadly it is probably Karlsson's last game in teal. I can't imagine this season really sold him on staying in SJ, but I personally don't think anything was going to. He just didn't seem like and Sharks player long term. Hopefully I'm wrong but I've had this feeling since November. His short stint of dominance made me somewhat hopeful but once the injury happened that declined really quickly. Players usually seem to fall in love with SJ right away. I don't think he has.

I don't think its quite the end of the world if he is not back. Honestly, it gives us options to be aggressive in FA and try to land one of Panarin or Duchene. Assuming we re-sign our RFA's, we are ok. If we get one of Panarin/Duchene, even better.

If EK65 walks, the main problem with the team would not be that he left but still the coaching and goal-tending. If we fix those two going into next season, we are a playoff team again. In my ideal scenario Chekhovich and Ferraro both earn their roster spots.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Do not like the body language in this

Without knowing timing of picture, I cant fully agree with Twitter comment. Could have been taken during ice scrape. :dunno:

That's not to say the team can't rally and win the series. But difficult.

Heard group during Tuesday game behind me planning Thursday trip to SJ. Sounds like a whole bunch of folks are flying to SJ today. 2-3 SWA flights full fans reporting via Twitter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad