GDT: WCQF Game 6 - To Live or Die in LA | Puck Drop sometime between 8:15 & 8:30 MT | CBC, SN, ESPN2, BSSC/630CHED, AM570

Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The most Oiler thing that can happen will be a dominating 5-1 win. The draw us back in and we are pumped for a game 7 at home where they have no choice but to show up and have an advantage.

But they lay the biggest of eggs in game 7 and we are all mad/sad and emotionally crushed.

But if that happens then that mean we win tonight! And hockey predictions are like the weather, hard to predict!

GO OILERS, I know you won’t hurt me this time!

This is the second most Oilers thing that could happen. The first most Oilers thing that could happen is that they show no sense of urgency, don't even pretend to chase after loose pucks, and get absolutely destroyed tonight.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
If McDavid wants to join the list of true GREAT players, he has to be the BEST player on the ice tonight, all 200ft and make a huge impact. Can't be a bigger game than elimination Game 6, and it is time for this team to take the next step. He has to carry them, or at least be a KEY part in carrying them there.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have a weird feeling about this. I feel that the Oilers could pull out one W in LA. Without Nurse in the lineup. That somehow they will respond to that *adversity* But I feel the same club would lose game 7. The underlying feeling I have about the team, which has returned, is distrust in it. One really gets the impression that this group is just content with making the playoffs, showing up, and one series and done and get out the golf clubs. In each of the past post seasons there has been games where the team basically took the game off, were outplayed, didn't have jump. I can absolve that in regular seasons. I have no idea how a team doesn't get up for 3/5 games in a series and isn't ready to start 5/5 games. Not exciting enough?

In retrospect, and I'll say this whatever happens I realize I've been fence sitting on this club. Not ready to get too enthused about the playoffs. Certainly not getting the flags out myself, or spending 250bucks on a jersey (always surprises me how many people will) just a disconnect from the whole shebang.

I was watching videos from the Ice district and from Ford Hall, watch parties. EVERYBODY has jerseys on, or 90% of people. I watched that and said to the wife. "I'm just not into paying around 500 bucks for two new jerseys and I don't even like the current kits. So that to me its become so fashion faux pas type thing. I've never been a dress up person whatever the attire is supposed to be. From suits to formals, tuxes. Any place that requires such garb doesn't entice me to go. So that sociologically its amazing to me that even going anywhere near the rink has become some sort of night at the opera where you have to have the high prices fashionable attire on and it better be the CURRENT in fashion threads or you'll look out of place. I dislike conformity or uniformity. Going to a place where there was unwritten expectation that everybody wear the same thing just puts me off.

Years ago I watched the team in person at games wear Stanley Cups wearing Jeans and a top. Whatever was comfortable. Back in the day few people actually bought and wore jerseys at games. It was a working class sport. Get off work, quickly get ready, go to a game. None of this face painting and bright orange wigs, and expectation of jerseys. Part of the appeal of a game back then is you could just buy a ticket and go to a game. not much prep expected. No Oilers uniform expected.

Anyway thats my yelling at clouds rant today. Not BUYING in. The extent I follow now is watching the games on telly. Thats it, thats all.
You do realize the goal is to wear orange. It doesn't need to be a jersey. Buy a blank orange t-shirt from Old Navy for 5 bucks and it's fine. It's just about creating atmosphere.

Not that has helped a lick with the team mailing two of the three games in that atmosphere. Maybe for Saturday they should all wear black as if they are attending a wake.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
If McDavid wants to join the list of true GREAT players, he has to be the BEST player on the ice tonight, all 200ft and make a huge impact. Can't be a bigger game than elimination Game 6, and it is time for this team to take the next step. He has to carry them, or at least be a KEY part in carrying them there.

I have no doubt he will give it his all. It's going to come down to can he out score the bad defensive plays and weak goals that guys like Smith and Keith have been responsible for.

We were told Keith is this great leader so how about he actually do something today to help the team and not hurt it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Another slow start and we're done. Wasn't that one of the biggest issues with tippett? Not saying he didn't deserve to get fired but maybe that's a player problem and not a coaching problem.

It's always been a player problem to some degree. Woodcroft just did a good job of masking it for a while.

Since 2017 it's been the same song and dance every time there is a little bit of pressure or adversity. They revert to this half cocked, bullshit style of play. Having them not panic and play this way is like keeping a severe alcoholic away from a drink. You can keep them on the wagon for a while, but when times are tough they go and take a drink .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers are a good enough team to win the next two games and advance to the next round, but the Oilers need to wake up tomorrow and decide that’s what they want to do. There’s a lot of anger towards management and coaching right now but we saw what the team they assembled was capable of over the last two months. For whatever reason the players in the room cannot bring the game that they did in that period. It’s insanely frustrating to watch and have no idea which team will show up: the team that looks capable of winning the West or the team that looks like they should’ve been in Tuesday’s lottery. Here’s to hoping the former is the one that shows up for this one.
Isn't the constant that the team just doesn't bother enough to put long strings together or win as many as they should or show up as many games as they should. The Oilers have been outworked in games 1, 3, 4, 5 of this series. They were lucky to win game 3. Basically it was shit Quick night and almost anything was going in.

Tbh yesterday I had more fun digging the garden by hand and planting then watching these playoff games. Last night I didn't watch any OOT action and like 2017 I feel that if the Oil don't advance I might now watch much. In 2017 I just found other things to do. Pretty much most of the playoff years. Sometimes it compels me. Mostly it no longer does. Part of it is that it often just feels so contrived, baked. SC playoffs used to be can't miss drama entertainment, or at least I felt that way. In the capped era it feels like there are few if any great teams and any kind of random thing can happen. Somehow tired of the whole underdog winning type thing. Feel the same way in WC's. I'd rather the top nations W for the good of the tournament. Unless its Belgium, lol.

Reactions: soothsayer

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have no doubt he will give it his all. It's going to come down to can he out score the bad defensive plays and weak goals that guys like Smith and Keith have been responsible for.

We were told Keith is this great leader so how about he actually do something today to help the team and not hurt it.
I'm mad as anyone about Keith's play in Game 5 and to a lesser extent Game 4. But if Game 1-3 Keith shows up, we have a chance.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
This isn't basketball. One player in hockey can only do so much, and he has 9pts in 5 games, including 3 points to rally the team back in what should have been a tide-turning comeback. Not Gretzky, not Lemieux, not Orr, not Crosby could carry this team by themselves. Doesn't happen in hockey.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I have a weird feeling about this. I feel that the Oilers could pull out one W in LA. Without Nurse in the lineup. That somehow they will respond to that *adversity* But I feel the same club would lose game 7. The underlying feeling I have about the team, which has returned, is distrust in it. One really gets the impression that this group is just content with making the playoffs, showing up, and one series and done and get out the golf clubs. In each of the past post seasons there has been games where the team basically took the game off, were outplayed, didn't have jump. I can absolve that in regular seasons. I have no idea how a team doesn't get up for 3/5 games in a series and isn't ready to start 5/5 games. Not exciting enough?

In retrospect, and I'll say this whatever happens I realize I've been fence sitting on this club. Not ready to get too enthused about the playoffs. Certainly not getting the flags out myself, or spending 250bucks on a jersey (always surprises me how many people will) just a disconnect from the whole shebang.

I was watching videos from the Ice district and from Ford Hall, watch parties. EVERYBODY has jerseys on, or 90% of people. I watched that and said to the wife. "I'm just not into paying around 500 bucks for two new jerseys and I don't even like the current kits. So that to me its become so fashion faux pas type thing. I've never been a dress up person whatever the attire is supposed to be. From suits to formals, tuxes. Any place that requires such garb doesn't entice me to go. So that sociologically its amazing to me that even going anywhere near the rink has become some sort of night at the opera where you have to have the high prices fashionable attire on and it better be the CURRENT in fashion threads or you'll look out of place. I dislike conformity or uniformity. Going to a place where there was unwritten expectation that everybody wear the same thing just puts me off.

Years ago I watched the team in person at games wear Stanley Cups wearing Jeans and a top. Whatever was comfortable. Back in the day few people actually bought and wore jerseys at games. It was a working class sport. Get off work, quickly get ready, go to a game. None of this face painting and bright orange wigs, and expectation of jerseys. Part of the appeal of a game back then is you could just buy a ticket and go to a game. not much prep expected. No Oilers uniform expected.

Anyway thats my yelling at clouds rant today. Not BUYING in. The extent I follow now is watching the games on telly. Thats it, thats all.
I've been saying for the past few months that for some reason I would have more faith if we made the playoffs as a wildcard/underdog and were not favored to win our matchup. We always seem to have trouble when we are expected to win (including regular season games to lower opponents), I suppose, save for that San Jose series in 2017.

Credit the Kings for their play, but I definitely think we have been our own worst enemy in this series more often than not, which makes it that much more frustrating when you know the level of which we are capable of playing to. We've seen this same story all too long.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm mad as anyone about Keith's play in Game 5 and to a lesser extent Game 4. But if Game 1-3 Keith shows up, we have a chance.

The team lives and dies with the Keith-Bouchard pairing. When they are on, the Oilers roll. When they play like shit we get caved. All of our bad losses since Woodcroft took over have coincided with disaster games from this pair.

They were fantastic in the first three games, then dog shit after. No idea what we'll get tonight, but whether we win or lose will be heavily predicated on their play.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I don't know what has me in more of a numerous wreck - this game, or trading US equity markets on the long side

Reactions: Duke74

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’m likely PVRing this one.

That was a devastating loss last game and I‘m so slammed at work right now, not sure it makes any sense to make this a priority.

Hopefully we win, but if I don’t end up watching it live best of luck. I’m hoping for the best but given recent history of this team, my expectations are pretty low.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I've been saying for the past few months that for some reason I would have more faith if we made the playoffs as a wildcard/underdog and were not favored to win our matchup. We always seem to have trouble when we are expected to win (including regular season games to lower opponents), I suppose, save for that San Jose series in 2017.

Credit the Kings for their play, but I definitely think we have been our own worst enemy in this series more often than not, which makes it that much more frustrating when you know the level of which we are capable of playing to. We've seen this same story all too long.
How many times have the Oilers been the favored team in a series since 1990. I think it's maybe 4 series total (Minnesota 91, San Jose 17, Chicago 20, Winnipeg 21). Pretty limited sample size there.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
And Mike Smith will morph into mid-season Mike Smith.

Thats always a risk you gotta figure demorlaizes the team. For three straight years they've had the inferior option in net when in the playoffs. Literally anything can on in on Smith.

Can 97 and 29 out score his bad goals tonight?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
f*** Holland, f*** Smith, and f*** Keith. Going with preemptive insults today.

Last edited:
Reactions: redgrant

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Woody message should be clear. First 10 minutes of the game is not to score. It's to cycle and keep the puck in their end as much as much as possible

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think we need to dress Borberg tonight to have some size back there if for no other reason.

No Nurse means we have a small, slow defense that is ripe to get absolutely smoked by the forecheck. Broberg is raw, but when he's on he plays well. The way I see it is we are guaranteed to get a major f*** up by one of Keith or Russell anyways so we may as well play Borberg and see if he can give us something.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Isn't the constant that the team just doesn't bother enough to put long strings together or win as many as they should or show up as many games as they should. The Oilers have been outworked in games 1, 3, 4, 5 of this series. They were lucky to win game 3. Basically it was shit Quick night and almost anything was going in.

Tbh yesterday I had more fun digging the garden by hand and planting then watching these playoff games. Last night I didn't watch any OOT action and like 2017 I feel that if the Oil don't advance I might now watch much. In 2017 I just found other things to do. Pretty much most of the playoff years. Sometimes it compels me. Mostly it no longer does. Part of it is that it often just feels so contrived, baked. SC playoffs used to be can't miss drama entertainment, or at least I felt that way. In the capped era it feels like there are few if any great teams and any kind of random thing can happen. Somehow tired of the whole underdog winning type thing. Feel the same way in WC's. I'd rather the top nations W for the good of the tournament. Unless its Belgium, lol.

Here's a man who waits for the end of the frost. I'm getting into the garden this weekend, but I have to admit, seeing my neighbors jump the gun a few weeks ago has made me impatient.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You do realize the goal is to wear orange. It doesn't need to be a jersey. Buy a blank orange t-shirt from Old Navy for 5 bucks and it's fine. It's just about creating atmosphere.

Not that has helped a lick with the team mailing two of the three games in that atmosphere. Maybe for Saturday they should all wear black as if they are attending a wake.
Like I was saying I watched a lot of footage. Vast majority of people were wearing the Jerseys. The newer kits. lol that the last Jersey I bought was Ryan Smyth. The one with Letter and Oil rig worker patch. I like that jersey. But nobody is wearing those older kits. I don't even like Orange. I like oranges. heh.

tbh I wouldn't have anything Orange in he closet.

But yeah, why bother creating the atmosphere. What does it do? Look at the way the club played in game 1 and 5, at home.

i guess not being from the US I don't really comprehend tail gate party type things and such. I'd rather stay home tbh and just watch on tube and I can turn it off anytime I want. What happens if one is at a watch "party" and one is compelled to just say f*** it. How does that look? heh

The feeling that compels me I guess is were the Game 1, 4, 5 experiences a good time? Did people leave happy with the atmosphere? I seem to have more pleasure sitting out on the deck or campground watching the sunset.

bah humbug ;)

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
This is the second most Oilers thing that could happen. The first most Oilers thing that could happen is that they show no sense of urgency, don't even pretend to chase after loose pucks, and get absolutely destroyed tonight.
I’d disagree only because that’s what everyone is expecting.

The Oilers Law of Expectations is the opposite of fan expectation, we are currently into negative game outcome expectations, meaning they likely will win tonight to maximize emotional damage to the fan base in the case of a game 7 loss.

There is also a possibility if you look at the Expectrometer that we win both game 6 & 7 creating a euphoric state but then get swept against the flames resulting in “Ralph Wiggum Syndrome”

Either way I’m here for the ride!

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I’d disagree only because that’s what everyone is expecting.

The Oilers Law of Expectations is the opposite of fan expectation, we are currently into negative game outcome expectations, meaning they likely will win tonight to maximize emotional damage to the fan base in the case of a game 7 loss.

There is also a possibility if you look at the Expectrometer that we win both game 6 & 7 creating a euphoric state but then get swept against the flames resulting in “Ralph Wiggim Syndrome”

Either way I’m here for the ride!

This is true. The Oilers always do the exact opposite of the conventional wisdom that has applied to essentially every other hockey team since the beginning of time.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Simple really. Play like we did in game 2 for the next 2 games and we see a second opponent. Play like we did in any of the other games and we can call It a season by 9:00pm tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad