GDT: WCQF Game 5 - Retro Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Could have been a different story if they had won that first game when they were pretty good but couldn't score (iirc). Third game was a huge letdown and the sign that the Wild just didn't have what it takes. The Blues weren't that good tbh, but you have to respect the result.

I hope the Wild can some day acquire a true superstar who will help you to take the final steps to win the cup. I'm afraid the current older core (Koivu, Parise, Suter, Poms etc.) just won't be good enough. Something always gets in the way or goes wrong. Minnesota deserves a champion team.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Could have been a different story if they had won that first game when they were pretty good but couldn't score (iirc). Third game was a huge letdown and the sign that the Wild just didn't have what it takes. The Blues weren't that good tbh, but you have to respect the result.

I hope the Wild can some day acquire a true superstar who will help you to take the final steps to win the cup. I'm afraid the current older core (Koivu, Parise, Suter, Poms etc.) just won't be good enough. Something always gets in the way or goes wrong. Minnesota deserves a champion team.

I hope we get one too.
Someday perhaps :).

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
- and, sry to say that but Boudreau really seems to be incapable of being a great playoff coach

This team has had a few coaches. At some point you have to think it's not the coach, it's the players. I think Fletch tried to be a winning team too fast. He got a few nice prospects and tried to make it work without knowing what he's got.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
This team has had a few coaches. At some point you have to think it's not the coach, it's the players. I think Fletch tried to be a winning team too fast. He got a few nice prospects and tried to make it work without knowing what he's got.

It had to go that way after Parise and Suter. Too good to be bad. Not good enough to be good.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

Hard to know how good the Blues are, they only trailed in 1 game this series. Aside from that they just collapsed and let the Wild make mistakes and capitalized. Mike Yeo was confident it would work against his former team and Bruce Boudreau couldn't succeed against it with said players.

AwesomeSince86

Apr 21, 2015
**** the Blues and every single person involved with them

Classy.

Congrats on a good season fellas. You guys were the better team, no doubt. Blues executed and Wild didn't. That and Allen had the series of his life.

Good luck next year. You guys are always a good group of fans.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Classy.

Congrats on a good season fellas. You guys were the better team, no doubt. Blues executed and Wild didn't. That and Allen had the series of his life.

Thanks!
Also please note the comments too that are crediting the Blues with their win.
I can't say I'll be rooting for you guys but I will say my interest is piqued on if you can keep it up :).

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
If you're going with that, then please explain exactly how was Boudreau the problem?

Sure, I will try to point out a couple of things - but he previously seems also to get lost when the regular season ends and you have to ADOPT (to the Playoffs)

- the moneyline, he perhaps could of tried ZKG again today from the start?

- Brodin being pretty awful after coming back from the approx 1-month (probably finger) injury, why play him on the PP1 all those first 4 playoff-games ??

- a good playoff coach probably would of seen that Prosser should be in game 1 or at least game 2 instead of Folin

And this is just a few of many things, I will perhaps post a longer and better list of why I think he wasn't good enough later on, wanna re-watch the last game and get less annoyed perhaps ;)

Last edited:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Classy.

Yep, couldn't care less on your opinion

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Sure, I will try to point out a couple of things - but he previously seems also to get lost when the regular season ends and you have to ADOPT

- Brodin being pretty awful after coming back from the approx 1-month (probably finger) injury, why play him on the PP1 all those first 4 playoff-games ??

- a good playoff coach probably would of seen that Prosser should be in game 1 or at least game 2 instead of Folin

Props for giving reasons you can at least debate - most of the time around here you would just get an answer like "because it's bruce".

I agree about Brodin, and Prosser was probably better than Folin. You can question these decisions, but at the end of the day, I don't think we lost any games because of Folin or because Brodin was on the PP. We're clearly lacking another trigger man at the point on the PP. I think that needs to be fixed going into next season.

AwesomeSince86

Apr 21, 2015
Thanks!
Also please note the comments too that are crediting the Blues with their win.
I can't say I'll be rooting for you guys but I will say my interest is piqued on if you can keep it up :).

Sorry, didn't realize I was quoting him in that same post. Despite the outlier, you guys are a classy group. I'm sure you guys will enjoy watching the Preds stomp us into the ground next series.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Props for giving reasons you can at least debate - most of the time around here you would just get an answer like "because it's bruce".

I agree about Brodin, and Prosser was probably better than Folin. You can question these decisions, but at the end of the day, I don't think we lost any games because of Folin or because Brodin was on the PP. We're clearly lacking another trigger man at the point on the PP. I think that needs to be fixed going into next season.

with some size and grit, a lot of it

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Sure, I will try to point out a couple of things - but he previously seems also to get lost when the regular season ends and you have to ADOPT

And this is just a few of many things, I will perhaps post a longer and better list of why I think he wasn't good enough later on, wanna re-watch the last game and get less annoyed perhaps ;)

- and perhaps primarily, you CANNOT HAVE SUCH A POOR STARTING 10 MINUTES @ home, when you have won Game 4 and got a chance to make it a 6-7 game series after all..

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
- and perhaps primarily, you CANNOT HAVE SUCH A POOR STARTING 10 MINUTES @ home, when you have won Game 4 and got a chance to make it a 6-7 game series after all..

That's an issue with the players, not coaching.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I see we lost in OT and our season is over...

original.gif

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU

Also - there is that feeling that on crucial moments Boudreau should of done a few things that he didn't do or react much quicker - really hard to put a finger on it afterwards, but I feel he is not adopting very quickly in difficult moments.

btw: not a fan of Yeo either, none of those 2 will ever win the Cup, I'm afraid

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
That's an issue with the players, not coaching.

- sure, but the start of Game 5 was so poor and that awfulness lasted for 10-15 minutes - this start of that crucial game is at least equally on Bruce, I'd say...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
- sure, but the start of Game 5 was so poor and that awfulness lasted for 10-15 minutes - this start of that crucial game is at least equally on Bruce, I'd say...

Have you NOT watched this roster of Wild players for the past 5 years? Coming out slow is something they've ALWAYS done, no matter the coach. The coach can only do so much... the players need to have to be willing to follow through!

BB is EASILY the best coach we've had since Lemaire... he had this team operating like a well oiled machine... but the roster still lacks that "go for the throat" mentality that Cup teams have.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Explain that please. He can motivate or give a speech (though if they need motivation from a speech...)
But it is up to the players to execute.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Explain that please. He can motivate or give a speech (though if they need motivation from a speech...)
But it is up to the players to execute.

I will re-watch the game again, not today or tomorrow but a bit later on. I'm quite sure that BB could of reacted in a better way seeing that the Wild came out sleepwalking.

If any of you thinks I dislike BB, you're wrong - he seems to be a great guy - but he is probably not among the best equipped guys to turn it around when the other team gets a nasty lead in the playoffs

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Sorry, didn't realize I was quoting him in that same post. Despite the outlier, you guys are a classy group. I'm sure you guys will enjoy watching the Preds stomp us into the ground next series.

Why are you in here provoking Wild fans with "classy"? Then finishing with that weak sentence? Go back to your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad