GDT: WCQF Game 4 | Anaheim @ Detroit | 8:00 PM EST | FSD / CNBC / TSN2 / KDOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
With the idea of Sammy going to play with Hank and Pavel...why not just bring back the old line of Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson? I thought the whole point of bringing 37 back was because he's got chemistry with Hank and he's the token righty on the 2nd PP unit.

Put Flip back with Datsyuk...they've got chemistry as well. Bert would've been the natural fit with them if he had been playing up to this point. Cleary probably is the default third man on the line.

:yo:

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Great work Flashy :handclap:
Hard to choose a favourite avenger but I'd say Hank as Thor and Gus as Blade are probably my two favorites. KFQ as the invisible women and Cola as Ironman is pure gold :laugh:

Must win. Lose and this series is over.

This. Although it's not technically an elimination game if they lose this one they're toast.

Would love to see a similar effort to game two minus the third period meltdown, I expect the big guns to show up in a big way tonight.

LGRW! :yo:

RedWingsNow*

I'm so sick of Babcock's garbage.

If he won't have the decency to quit -- fire him.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm glad the Nyquist - Andersson - Brunner line is staying together, I like what they bring to the table. I'm glad Samuelsson is on the top line instead of Cleary - I don't think Bertuzzi there would be any better and at least Samuelsson will shoot the puck. Hopefully next season Holland will bring some true top 6 forwards so this isn't so big of a deal. But regardless, if we aren't scoring on the PP it won't really matter.

HTT3*

Wings are breaking all kinds of young guys in. And instead of protecting them, Babcock throws them to the fire.

Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner -- that's a disaster waiting to happen.
Lashoff-Smith on the PK
Lashoff-Kindl at even strength

Aren't you the poster who wanted Holland and Babcock to play Tatar?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't see any significant difference between having Abdelkader/Samuelsson/Bertuzzi/Cleary/Tootoo with Pavel and Z. They're all a little different but in the end they're the third wheel on a line that should be working out no matter what.

If guys were 100% fit I would have Bert on the first line, Brunner on the 2nd, Sammy on the 3rd, and put Cleary on the 4th line. But Bert and Sammy are nowhere near in-form.

RedWingsNow*

I don't see any significant difference between having Abdelkader/Samuelsson/Bertuzzi/Cleary/Tootoo with Pavel and Z. They're all a little different but in the end they're the third wheel on a line that should be working out no matter what.

If guys were 100% fit I would have Bert on the first line, Brunner on the 2nd, Sammy on the 3rd, and put Cleary on the 4th line. But Bert and Sammy are nowhere near in-form.

The big difference with Tootoo is this
1) He skates better than Abdelkader, Sammy, Bertuzzi or Cleary
2) He hits harder that Abdelkader, Sammy, Bertuzzi or Cleary

I'd say Sammy is most willing to shoot, cleary goes to the net best, Bertuzzi is most skilled and Abby is...the youngest...

Sammy and Tootoo are also right-handed shots

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Z-Datsyuk-Sammy
Franzen-Flip-Cleary
Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner
Eaves-Emmerton-Bertuzzi

Wings are breaking all kinds of young guys in. And instead of protecting them, Babcock throws them to the fire.

Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner -- that's a disaster waiting to happen.
Lashoff-Smith on the PK
Lashoff-Kindl at even strength

Sometimes your rookies make rookie mistakes -- and all the protection in the world won't help them (Brunner giveaway).

Sometimes, you can avoid costly mistakes by protecting your guys. (goals 3 and 4).

For one, you shouldn't have Lashoff in the lineup at all. But if you must, don't pair him with Smith on the PK for ****'s sake.

Kronwall-Kindl
Smith-Ericsson
Quincey-Lashoff

On the PK:
Kronwall-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith/Lashoff

Easy enough

Bob, I thought based on you reply to HTT3 that you were being sarcastic about 14/63/24 being a disaster waiting to happen, but after looking at this post again I have no idea what you are trying to say.

That line has not given up a goal in the series so far, and scored one of the wings even strength goals of the series.(there have only been 2 or 3).

Why are they suddenly going to be a disaster?

Unless of course you think they or some of them should be promoted.

I am not flaming...I honesty don't know what point you are trying to make.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So are you saying you don't care about who the coach is, as long as it isn't Babcock?

He's saying he wants a puck possession coach, but I don't know who is actually available who fits that style. For the most part (and I may be in the minority) I just want to see my team win games, I don't care how they do it. I think my type of fandom is based around that and entertainment is secondary. I don't feel like Holland builds this team like a puck possession team anymore (based on his lack of signing true skill players) so I don't know where we're at.

I'm fairly confident that Babcock is still the right coach for this team, I just see now how much he is willing to stick with the kids on defense and I think that will be a huge boost whether or not he's the coach for the future or not.

RedWingsNow*

Hopefully if Holland does that he'll get some more puck possession players.

At least a couple better ones;
But right now-even with less talent in our lineup, this is still a puck possession team. that's our strength.

We're not the Jason Krog Ducks.

Datsyuk. Zetterberg. Brunner. Flip. Bertuzzi. Nyquist. Franzen. Samuelsson. Andersson. <---- all puck possession types.
Look at the guys we have coming up from the AHL and junior
Tatar. Ferraro. Jurco. Frk. Jarnkrok. Pulkinnen.

We're not going to be a team with a bunch of heavy hitting, tight checking 6'3 wingers.

Holland isn't drafting the "thick" players Babcock likes.

Our defense--
Nobody on our defense is a hard-hitting, big, strong defense-first type defenseman.
Ericsson? Hie's big. But he's not not really defense-first. He just plays that role because he's 6'5.
Kindl? offense. Kronwall? offense. Smith? offense. Quincey? ****-for-Brains. CC? Offense. White? Offense? Ericsson?

How about among the prospects?
Ouellete? Sproul? Marchenko? Backman? Almquist?

Except Nedomlel, Nicastro and McKee... three guys with very slim NHL hopes, there aren't any big, tough, defense-first defensemen.

RedWingsNow*

He's saying he wants a puck possession coach, but I don't know who is actually available who fits that style. For the most part (and I may be in the minority) I just want to see my team win games, I don't care how they do it. I think my type of fandom is based around that and entertainment is secondary. I don't feel like Holland builds this team like a puck possession team anymore (based on his lack of signing true skill players) so I don't know where we're at.

I'm fairly confident that Babcock is still the right coach for this team, I just see now how much he is willing to stick with the kids on defense and I think that will be a huge boost whether or not he's the coach for the future or not.

I think this team can play a hybrid. But it still requires puck possession first-and-foremost.

RedWingsNow*

So are you saying you don't care about who the coach is, as long as it isn't Babcock?

To a certain extent, yes.

Babcock is done here. He's running through the motions.

He doesn't like the players his GM gives him. He misuses the players he does have. His talks have become little more than cliche-ridden BS.

It's time for a new audience for Babcock

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
+1 to what Bob said about a puck possession style coach. Babs has been trying to get our team (which is not built at all around clear the puck in and forecheck play not to lose but never play to win style).

Our team has drafted around a puck possession style and plugged outside of cleary a possession style build. Babs since he has had lidas retire tried to change the team around. But we aren't built for that style and it is not something our current roster can do.

Also babs line combos drive me up the wall. Granted the last month or so abby has done alright but I believe that was mainly based on clearly terrible getting bumped down to 2nd line (why god why?). Also you have to be beyond ****ing terrible to not due just ok with z and d as linemates.

RedWingsNow*

Bob, I thought based on you reply to HTT3 that you were being sarcastic about 14/63/24 being a disaster waiting to happen, but after looking at this post again I have no idea what you are trying to say.

That line has not given up a goal in the series so far, and scored one of the wings even strength goals of the series.(there have only been 2 or 3).

Why are they suddenly going to be a disaster?

Unless of course you think they or some of them should be promoted.

I am not flaming...I honesty don't know what point you are trying to make.

They've been OK as a line.

My preference would be to separate them though. And yes, promote them.

Give Brunner to Datsyuk and Nyquist to Zetterberg

I think I mentioned something like this

Bertuzzi Datsyuk Brunner
Nyquist Zetterberg Sammy
Flip Franzen Cleary
Eaves Andersson Tootoo

If you're a coach, how would you match those lines?

I also would not start Lashoff.

But if I did, I would not allow any pairing of Smith-Lashoff or Kindl-Lashoff. Or maybe not even Kindl-Smith -- if I could avoid it.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I will give Babcock one more season before I jump on the bandwagon to fire him. I gave Holland three years of incompetence before I wanted him gone, and the least I can do is give Babcock one more year.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think my type of fandom is based around that and entertainment is secondary. I don't feel like Holland builds this team like a puck possession team anymore (based on his lack of signing true skill players) so I don't know where we're at.

Really? I mean, I look at who they are drafting and the players on the team, seems like mostly high skill puck possession types. He does sign a few grinders, but they're mostly for the bottom six. There's still a ton of puck possession talent on the team and in the pipeline.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think this team can play a hybrid. But it still requires puck possession first-and-foremost.

I just don't see it, especially on the backend. Smith is not good enough and Kindl makes too many glaring mistakes. If we could add another top 4 PMD I would believe it's possible.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I just don't see it, especially on the backend. Smith is not good enough and Kindl makes too many glaring mistakes. If we could add another top 4 PMD I would believe it's possible.

Smith will get better. And while defensively Kindl still needs to improve, offensively he's got pretty good instincts. You can see that in his production. Smith has good instincts as well, he just hasn't been able to capitalize. He makes the moves at the blue line that freeze the wingers and gets a shot on net. Just can't seem to convert on them.

And aren't Ouellet/Sproul supposed to have good offense? DD could shape up to be a pretty good PMD as well. He's looked very good his first year and made some terrific first passes.

The Wings are still drafting that possession style.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Smith will get better. And while defensively Kindl still needs to improve, offensively he's got pretty good instincts. You can see that in his production. Smith has good instincts as well, he just hasn't been able to capitalize. He makes the moves at the blue line that freeze the wingers and gets a shot on net. Just can't seem to convert on them.

And aren't Ouellet/Sproul supposed to have good offense? DD could shape up to be a pretty good PMD as well. He's looked very good his first year and made some terrific first passes.

The Wings are still drafting that possession style.

They're drafting it, but without adding established players on it isn't nearly as effective as it could be.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Babcock is not going anywhere near future. you can book it.

It's not like he underperformed or anything. why should he be fired? Because he played Pav and Z with Abby and some of you are displeased with that? I didnt watch the season so I can't really comment on what happened during the season but the team I see is exactly where it should be. At around 7th. Besides I think alot of you are overrating coach's impact in a game.

Maybe a new coaching staff will be a breathe of fresh air. There is always that. But at the same time, we will be losing alot of experience. especially playoff experience where coaches really make their worth.

Babcock has a new young team to coach post lidstrom era. Maybe it's a new challenge for him. Plus we are moving to East next season. I would wait to see how he responds to new challenge for a season or two at least even if we are not satisfied with him.

Hockey wise, there are couple things we can improve. Let's see how Babcock responds. He usually responds well to adversity.

But this sideshow about Babcock's head is little distracting since we have a long way to go to win this series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad