GDT: WCQF Game 4, (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs (WC1) LA Kings @7:30 VGK lead series 3-0

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
28451959201_63cc494c7d_o.gif

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Kings need to play with some swagger / skill / creativity. Not just dump and chase and hand pucks over to them. Can't simply grind out wins anymore in this league.

Dude, we hired an offensive coordinator to do just that, where have you been??

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I’m hoping we can spend more sustained time/possession in Vegas end. Need to make their defense work harder than they have been in this series.

Got to convert on our power play opportunities. With the low scoring games thus far, those chances cannot go to waste.

Let’s be physical, hungry and smart for 60 minutes.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I can think of only two specific instances where the Kings generated quality scoring chances from the middle of the ice. Kopitar in the first OT period, which he shot wide. And Toffoli in Game 3, late in the 2nd period, which he shot directly into Fleury.

And that's it. This team is not making it difficult for Golden Knight defensemen. They need to get more shots from within the dots, and Kings defensemen need to be a considerably better job of getting shots through and generating shots that can be deflected or create rebounds. How often have we seen this team generate second or third scoring chances caused from loose pucks in front of the net? Barely any.

If we see the same strategy employed by the team from the previous three games, then we can expect to see them shaking hands when the final buzzer sounds.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I can think of only two specific instances where the Kings generated quality scoring chances from the middle of the ice. Kopitar in the first OT period, which he shot wide. And Toffoli in Game 3, late in the 2nd period, which he shot directly into Fleury.

And that's it. This team is not making it difficult for Golden Knight defensemen. They need to get more shots from within the dots, and Kings defensemen need to be a considerably better job of getting shots through and generating shots that can be deflected or create rebounds. How often have we seen this team generate second or third scoring chances caused from loose pucks in front of the net? Barely any.

If we see the same strategy employed by the team from the previous three games, then we can expect to see them shaking hands when the final buzzer sounds.

Disagree, there have been more, but I'd have to pore over each game to demonstrate them, so not gonna happen lol,

I do agree they aren't taking it to the net like they should, but every single pundit who has chimed in the series, say the Kings don't need to change a thing, they need to keep it up for sixty minutes, that was the problem with Sundays game, they let their foot off the gas and Vegas responds,

Reactions: yankeeking

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The fact that they have averaged 1 goal per game thus far tells me something has to change in their attack. The intensity was there for about 40 or so minutes, but as the game wore down, as did the Kings.

The seem to just be content with letting shots go in a straight line rather than changing it up and forcing Fleury to have to go post-to-post to make tough saves. I'm sure if you looked at a shot pattern chart, not much of the Kings' shots have come from the tough areas of the ice.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
In an alternative scenario, if we had won game 3 handedly and lose game 4 tonight, I would be fairly comfortable down 1-3 going to Vegas. With this rationale, why wouldn't I be more comfortable instead winning this game tonight with momentum going into game 5?

This is how I try to convince myself that things can still be okay. Damn purple blood.

Kings win 4-2.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The fact that they have averaged 1 goal per game thus far tells me something has to change in their attack. The intensity was there for about 40 or so minutes, but as the game wore down, as did the Kings.

The seem to just be content with letting shots go in a straight line rather than changing it up and forcing Fleury to have to go post-to-post to make tough saves. I'm sure if you looked at a shot pattern chart, not much of the Kings' shots have come from the tough areas of the ice.

Tried to find one,

This will be out of of Order, but Game 2 from yahoo, go figure, shows this,

LA Kings

Shot within house - 14
Shot line drawn from board to board through dot to line drawn from top of circle - 9
Shot from top of circle to point - 17

Looks like it records shot attempts

From Game 1

Shot within house - 11
Shot from outskirts - 4 (really weird goal line attempts)
Shot from line drawn etc - 7
Shot from top to point - 20

From Game 3

Shot within house - 14
Shot from outskirts - 4
Shot from line drawn etc - 6
Shot from top to point - 12

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I'm pretty much resigned to tonight being the last pro hockey game until October in which I have a positive local rooting interest. There'll be hatewatching tomorrow night, and my sister's Capitals left (until they also meekly bow out in four games in a couple of days), and mild curiousity about the AHL playoffs, but the end of this season has been pretty brutal for me, with my local minor-league team crashing out of playoff position by losing six of their last seven and being eliminated by the ROW tiebreaker.

At least I have the Padres to look forward to this summer... (shhh, don't tell me).

Reactions: KingTrouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm pretty much resigned to tonight being the last pro hockey game until October in which I have a positive local rooting interest. There'll be hatewatching tomorrow night, and my sister's Capitals left (until they also meekly bow out in four games in a couple of days), and mild curiousity about the AHL playoffs, but the end of this season has been pretty brutal for me, with my local minor-league team crashing out of playoff position by losing six of their last seven and being eliminated by the ROW tiebreaker.

At least I have the Padres to look forward to this summer... (shhh, don't tell me).
At least the drive to Anaheim isn't too far for you.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
If we win tonight and that's a big IF then I think we see game 7. I know the Kings haven't played their best at all and some of the players look pathetic but we have lost by 1 each game and could have easily won game 2 and 3 if they just finished their chances

Reactions: yankeeking

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.

sorry hans didn't realize the gulls were out, been lamenting the big clubs, very little like gulls/reign like the last couple of years very passionate fan base down south I game last year I accidently got tickets in 119 for a game holy crap was that a mistake and my wife who doesn't quite enjoy the exchanges as much thought some were especially the guy with the gull head and noise makers didn't enjoy him at all lol

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

They're playing an extremely conservative system right now. They have 3 men back most of the time. When they go on the attack there's rarely an F3.

I think they did this to prevent Vegas from scoring on the rush, and it's worked. The only problem is its made it very difficult for them to score goals themselves.

Ultimatley, whatever they're doing, it's not working. I doubt Stevens will make a change though.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

And death shall have no dominion.
Dead man naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,
They shall have stars at elbow and foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.