WCQF Game 2: Los Angeles Kings (WC1) vs Vegas Golden Knights (1) | 7:00 PT |ATTSN, NBCSN, CBC, TVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Daq6mdUV4AEl1zm.jpg:large

7:00 PM Pacific
T-Mobile Arena | Las Vegas, NV

(Click to find channel in your area)
Cox: 313(SD)/1313(HD)
DirecTV: 684 (HD)
Centurylink: 760(SD)/1760(HD)
Nationally on NBCSN/CBC/TVN
NBCSN_Alternate_logo-300x219.png

(Click for link to listen online)
ao1kmj2fsor01.jpg

Ut89ziI.png

Unconfirmed Lineups:
:vegas
4rUyzMS.png

qOsHk1w.png

CLKR15c.png

:kings2
sVXYIQ1.png

c2u7kQn.png

qJr5haU.png

Watch all of these videos to get into the proper hype level:

:vegasGO KNIGHTS GO!:vegas

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The Kings will rally! I'm sure the vets in LA are not going to let the combined team of Cinderella and the NHL Department of getting Cinderella to the Ball win.

GKG!
We didn't need the DoPS's help to win the series vs the Flying Phaneufs, but I suppose we'll take it.

Reactions: Northern Knights

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I forgot how much I love playoff hockey. Last night I had so much fun watching the Sharks and Ducks play, and now I'm almost as excited for this one as I was for that one.

In my best, most screechingly annoying Erik Cartman voice: Go Kings Go! Go Kings Go!

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Well, game 1 went as expected. Fleury kept pace with Quick, who probably had the tougher saves to make, Bellemare and Nosek were very good at shutting the Kings down, even being intentionally paired against the Kings top line. Carrier was on Doughy the way he should be until the Doughy headshot. McNabb came out hitting and Tuch was good, although not great.

For the Kings, they played as expected also, Doughy, Brown and Clifford were in classic playoff mode with Clifford trying to start crap after every whistle, Brown with his trademark falling into the goalie routine and obviously Doughty's suspendable hit on Carrier.

What wasn't expected was the physicality displayed by Vegas, from nearly everyone in the lineup including players like Neal and Marchessault. The Knights and Kings went hit for hit most of the night surprising fans of both teams. The Knights had the better play rushes and a strong forecheck but at times the Kings were better at hemming them in the zone, but were unrewarded for their efforts. The Karlsson line played decent, but early on looked a little trepid, some might say "heard footsteps", this seemed to fade as the game progressed. The Haula and Eakin lines were better in a defensive physical way - which will bode well going forward.

Tonight' game should be a little more open. I would expect that without Doughty in the Kings lineup, Knights first line will be a little more freewheeling and Stevens will have a tough time deciding who to play against them. Doesn't matter, because line 2 is next up. Look for Lindberg to slot tonight, which defensively is not a noticeable downgrade from game 1. I would expect the Kings to attempt to intimidate the Knights even more tonight. The Kings will likely throw more pucks toward the net and crash for rebounds and send more dump ins in an effort to hammer our defense-It could be a tough night for our defense.
The Knights should take this game if they put the Doughty hit behind them and just move forward, which I suspect Gallant has already talked about. They need to stay out the scrums and out of the box if they are gonna make Doughty pay for his hit.

P.S - My players to watch;

Tomas Tatar. Tatar has at times looked out of sync with the Knights, but from the third line I think he will have an impact tonight.
Nate Schmidt. Schmidt's speed from his zone and entry into the Kings end will be effective in the Knights transition game.
Tomas Nosek. Nosek had a good game 1, will continue with heavy forecheck and recovery of loose pucks.

Reactions: BattleBorn

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It was a little too windy to put it on for the first game (we're just coming out of a pretty horrendous wind storm) but she's definitely rocking it today.

That is unbelievably cool. Something Vegas/Nashville do better than any city is make you want to be there. I so badly want to be in Vegas, going to craftsteak before the game, and being a part of it all. It's such a cool atmosphere. That's really cool.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Well, game 1 went as expected. Fleury kept pace with Quick, who probably had the tougher saves to make, Bellemare and Nosek were very good at shutting the Kings down, even being intentionally paired against the Kings top line. Carrier was on Doughy the way he should be until the Doughy headshot. McNabb came out hitting and Tuch was good, although not great.

For the Kings, they played as expected also, Doughy, Brown and Clifford were in classic playoff mode with Clifford trying to start crap after every whistle, Brown with his trademark falling into the goalie routine and obviously Doughty's suspendable hit on Carrier.

What wasn't expected was the physicality displayed by Vegas, from nearly everyone in the lineup including players like Neal and Marchessault. The Knights and Kings went hit for hit most of the night surprising fans of both teams. The Knights had the better play rushes and a strong forecheck but at times the Kings were better at hemming them in the zone, but were unrewarded for their efforts. The Karlsson line played decent, but early on looked a little trepid, some might say "heard footsteps", this seemed to fade as the game progressed. The Haula and Eakin lines were better in a defensive physical way - which will bode well going forward.

Tonight' game should be a little more open. I would expect that without Doughty in the Kings lineup, Knights first line will be a little more freewheeling and Stevens will have a tough time deciding who to play against them. Doesn't matter, because line 2 is next up. Look for Lindberg to slot tonight, which defensively is not a noticeable downgrade from game 1. I would expect the Kings to attempt to intimidate the Knights even more tonight. The Kings will likely throw more pucks toward the net and crash for rebounds and send more dump ins in an effort to hammer our defense-It could be a tough night for our defense.
The Knights should take this game if they put the Doughty hit behind them and just move forward, which I suspect Gallant has already talked about. They need to stay out the scrums and out of the box if they are gonna make Doughty pay for his hit.

P.S - My players to watch;

Tomas Tatar. Tatar has at times looked out of sync with the Knights, but from the third line I think he will have an impact tonight.
Nate Schmidt. Schmidt's speed from his zone and entry into the Kings end will be effective in the Knights transition game.
Tomas Nosek. Nosek had a good game 1, will continue with heavy forecheck and recovery of loose pucks.

Kings are going to try clog up the middle, they are going to sit back, work to keep the shots down, and try to pot a goal or 2 on a counter to see if they can pull out a 2-1 win.
No way they want this game to open up.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Kings are going to try clog up the middle, they are going to sit back, work to keep the shots down, and try to pot a goal or 2 on a counter to see if they can pull out a 2-1 win.
No way they want this game to open up.
You're right, the Kings won' want to open this game up, however, it may not be their decision. Yeah, they'l clog up the neutral zone when theyre on defense, but Vegas has exploited teams trying that all season long.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
You're right, the Kings won' want to open this game up, however, it may not be their decision. Yeah, they'l clog up the neutral zone when theyre on defense, but Vegas has exploited teams trying that all season long.

But this is playoffs Kings will allowed more, shall we say more defensive counter measures that might not be acceptable in the regular season.
What a team could exploit in the regular season might not be so readily available now.:naughty:

That said when you are missing 3 of your top 4 D , one of them considered one of the leagues best against a fast team like the Knights, your chances of pulling out a win are not good

If the Kings find a 4 leaf clover and manage to win this this game, then Knights could be in trouble.

Even if the Kings lose, its playoff hockey, and the old line a series does not start until a team loses at home applies.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
But this is playoffs Kings will allowed more, shall we say more defensive counter measures that might not be acceptable in the regular season.
What a team could exploit in the regular season might not be so readily available now.:naughty:

That said when you are missing 3 of your top 4 D , one of them considered one of the leagues best against a fast team like the Knights, your chances of pulling out a win are not good

If the Kings find a 4 leaf clover and manage to win this this game, then Knights could be in trouble.

Even if the Kings lose, its playoff hockey, and the old line a series does not start until a team loses at home applies.

Well, I like your moxie, your certitude could use some work though.

Anyway, I,m sure as Vegas dresses 6 d-men who were not considered top 6 last year by their former teams, they'll be thinking of your woes.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am in Ottawa so I like the start time but that's really weak for two west COAST teams (I mean Vegas is still Pacific time is it not?)

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Well, I like your moxie, your certitude could use some work though.

Anyway, I,m sure as Vegas dresses 6 d-men who were not considered top 6 last year by their former teams, they'll be thinking of your woes.

True but they have played lots of games together on the same line for many weeks so there is that.

And actually the Kings if they could have found a way would have kept McNabb but they went with Forbort.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gallant showing up the DoPS by saying Carrier is day-to-day then putting him right back in the lineup right after Drew gets suspended pisses the Kings off.

Gravel hat trick, Kings win 3-0.

Nothing left to do but get extremely drunk.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Actually, they're all defensemen who weren't considered top 3 by their former teams (since teams could protect 3 D and 7 F or 4 D and 4 F), but the point stands and it's nice to see someone else make it. Vegas' defense is composed solely of other teams' 4th-to-6th-best defensemen, yet we're supposed to pity LA for being without two of its top 4 and, now, arguably the best defenseman in the world (though just for a single game). If the opponent were just about any other team, there might be some merit to that, but this opponent is the one team that using the lack of talent excuse against doesn't hold water for.

True but they have played lots of games together on the same line for many weeks so there is that.

That's certainly true, but the Knights were also one of the hottest teams right out of the gate, in October. Most of the players didn't even know each other, came from different systems and had to learn a new system. The Kings defensemen have been around each other all year (if not longer) and are fully used to each other and the system by now. Even a guy like Gravel, who was in the AHL for much of the season, knows all of the guys and has been playing in the Kings' system for years. I wouldn't say that the Kings' D corps is at any disadvantage compared to how the Knights' D corps was at the start of the season. If the Knights could overcome their obstacles then, the Kings should be able to overcome theirs now. If they don't, that's on them.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh, and for serious, since there are questions about what the D will look like:

Fantenberg-Martinez
Phaneuf-LaDue
Gravel-Folin

I expect Stevens to shorten that at times to get Martinez, Phaneuf, Folin the most minutes. Big PK minutes for Phaneuf, Martinez, Folin, PP minutes for LaDue, Gravel, Martinez, Phaneuf, (fantenberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->