WCQF: (2) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I get that the Sharks and Ducks both hate the Kings, but how is the rivalry between Anaheim and San Jose? Do you guys hate each other or is more about respect?

I actually think sharks vs ducks is worse, as far as trash talk betweens fan bases go... king fans actually show a lot of respect to duck players on their boards and in general. If you read the shark forums youd think we were the buffalo sabres. I also thing the games get a little more dirty than vs the kings... where a lot of it is physical with respect, i think with anaheim and san jose there is a lot of disrespect.

I think anaheim winning the cup and appearing in cup before them, created a lot of hate then the 09 season where the sharks looked like a top contender and ready to go on a long run(presidents trophy 117 points ). But anaheim kinda man handled them in round 1.

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
If Thorton comes back, it's a coin toss. If not, I still won't be shocked to see the Sharks repay the favor from 09. Plus you have the X-factor in Kane. How will he perform in the postseason?

Gonna say Ducks in 7, but I have no clue. Will be some fun hockey to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattb124

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I actually think sharks vs ducks is worse, as far as trash talk betweens fan bases go... king fans actually show a lot of respect to duck players on their boards and in general. If you read the shark forums youd think we were the buffalo sabres. I also thing the games get a little more dirty than vs the kings... where a lot of it is physical with respect, i think with anaheim and san jose there is a lot of disrespect.

I think anaheim winning the cup and appearing in cup before them, created a lot of hate then the 09 season where the sharks looked like a top contender and ready to go on a long run(presidents trophy 117 points ). But anaheim kinda man handled them in round 1.

Yea, I dont think any of that is true, at least from a Sharks fan perspective and frequenter of these boards. Sharks fan typically show a lot of respect to the Ducks (except Perry and Kesler). Their resilience, strong leadership, and hard physical play was admirable for a time. We hated Pronger, but respected Neidermayer and Selanne, even though the latter was a sure-fire Sharks killer. I also believe our mutual disdain for the Kings has promoted some kinship.

As far as Anaheim appearing in and winning a cup before SJS, maybe some petty fans would care about something as trivial as that, but on the whole, I dont think it mattered much in the grand scheme of things. That 2009 series was brutal all around, but hard to pin hate on a opposing team when our's collapsed and couldn't score.

At least from my perspective and from feeling the pulse of other fans on this site and at games, we don't like the Ducks, maybe even hate them, but certainly not as much as the Kings. Your team has great leadership, has had really great drafting, and the fan base is passionate but not overly aggressive. Our games are always tight and exciting with high compete levels.

In short, claiming there is disrespect from the Sharks side is a false statement, though no one really has respected the Sharks in years, so maybe it's just one-sided

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I'm an East Coast Sharks fan so I don't have to deal with too many obnoxious fans of the Kings or Ducks (lets be real, every fanbase has em). I don't really hate the Kings or Ducks once the Sharks are no longer competing. It all depends on the season and match-ups for me. Last year I was rooting for the Ducks when playing the Oilers because right now they're the team I hate most. The hype of that team coming into this season was so ridiculous and any hockey fan should have been able to see that the Oilers were garbage beyond McJesus and Draisatl. I also tend to root for the Kings once the Sharks are eliminated because of Jon Quick who went to my University, UMass. Most of all I root for all 3 teams to generally be respectable because you wouldn't believe how many morons on the East coast say things like "hockey doesn't belong in California" so I love to shove it back in their faces that the 3 Cali teams are better than the garbage franchises in the NY area and many other Northeastern "cold" cities.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There has not been a huge difference between the quality of the three California teams for quite a few years now. Honest fans know any one is capable of ending any other one's season.
It's not called the California Gauntlet for nothing.

Pretty much this... all 3 teams were pretty streaky/beat up at times this year so its tough to even judge them at this point.

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
sharks have a better chance if bieksa plays (which it's looking like he will)
He actually hasn’t been bad in the playoffs the last two season. As least not regular season bad. I’d probably still prefer him over the other options, sadly.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Thornton was actually having a very good season.

Stats-wise, I would not say he had a very good season.

True, Thornton's run-rate for PPG would have been a career high in teal, but his ES run-rate would have put him not much better than Boedker's productivity.

This points to an aging player. One that cannot rely on his physical attributes as much as his hockey IQ (which is probably still off the charts).

Thornton's real value in the playoffs is the PP. For that reason, I hope he dresses for the games, and Deboer uses him appropriately. That last part is what I'm uneasy about.

Thornton needs to retire after this season. Sedins are doing it with class, not trying to hang on to declining glory.

ETA: to expand on the bold, italic paragraph... He brings two values. One is the PP as I mentioned, the other is psychological. I don't think he has the body to make a full, deep playoff run at full bore of yester-years, and not get hurt again. So Deboer would have to use Jumbo wisely should he dress, but I'm reluctant to believe Deboer will do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrypTic

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Fowler is not your #1D. Full stop. Just because Randy treats him like he isn’t doesn’t mean he is. Lindholm and Manson are clearly better.

Fowler is definitely not behind Manson. Lindholm/Fowler is a consistent debate on our board. Lindholm has had a better year, so most, including myself, would say he's the better defenseman, but it's close. Manson is not #2. He's just a terrific complimentary player to Lindholm. Watch Josh with anyone other than Lindholm or Fowler, and you'll know he's clearly not our #2.

And again, I say the Gibson thing because Ryan Miller has a long history of owning the Sharks, which I’ve already made a tongue-in-cheek-but-also-serious point about. Never mind the fact that you will have Gibson back by all indications.

Gibson is playing so it's moot, but belitting his absence because we have a great backup is just stupid.

It’s good to know that a 63 point pace is an “eh season” and Patrick Eaves is as good as Evander Kane, though. :laugh:

Kane was amazing for SJ, but Eaves was/is arguably our 2nd best winger on the team. That loss is/was massive.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

True, Thornton's run-rate for PPG would have been a career high in teal, but his ES run-rate would have put him not much better than Boedker's productivity.

This points to an aging player. One that cannot rely on his physical attributes as much as his hockey IQ (which is probably still off the charts).

Thornton's real value in the playoffs is the PP. For that reason, I hope he dresses for the games, and Deboer uses him appropriately. That last part is what I'm uneasy about.

Thornton needs to retire after this season. Sedins are doing it with class, not trying to hang on to declining glory.

ETA: to expand on the bold, italic paragraph... He brings two values. One is the PP as I mentioned, the other is psychological. I don't think he has the body to make a full, deep playoff run at full bore of yester-years, and not get hurt again. So Deboer would have to use Jumbo wisely should he dress, but I'm reluctant to believe Deboer will do so.

Huh? This is absolutely absurd post. Trying to hang on to declining glory? He's a professional hockey player, he can play as long as he competes at the NHL level which by his point totals show he clearly can. He was the Sharks 2nd leading scorer at the time of his injury. Who cares if half of those points were on the PP. At that point in the season it was basically the only time the Sharks were scoring. The only thing I agree with you about is how Jumbo impacts our PP, which is quite obvious. If he can play sheltered minutes and be available for the PP, I'd support putting him in the lineup.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Fowler is definitely not behind Manson. Lindholm/Fowler is a consistent debate on our board. Lindholm has had a better year, so most, including myself, would say he's the better defenseman, but it's close. Manson is not #2. He's just a terrific complimentary player to Lindholm. Watch Josh with anyone other than Lindholm or Fowler, and you'll know he's clearly not our #2.

Gibson is playing so it's moot, but belitting his absence because we have a great backup is just stupid.

Kane was amazing for SJ, but Eaves was/is arguably our 2nd best winger on the team. That loss is/was massive.

It's weird, I would say that our defense is Lindholm>Fowler>Manson but if I had to trade Fowler or Manson it would be Fowler in a heartbeat.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Yea, I dont think any of that is true, at least from a Sharks fan perspective and frequenter of these boards. Sharks fan typically show a lot of respect to the Ducks (except Perry and Kesler). Their resilience, strong leadership, and hard physical play was admirable for a time. We hated Pronger, but respected Neidermayer and Selanne, even though the latter was a sure-fire Sharks killer. I also believe our mutual disdain for the Kings has promoted some kinship.

As far as Anaheim appearing in and winning a cup before SJS, maybe some petty fans would care about something as trivial as that, but on the whole, I dont think it mattered much in the grand scheme of things. That 2009 series was brutal all around, but hard to pin hate on a opposing team when our's collapsed and couldn't score.

At least from my perspective and from feeling the pulse of other fans on this site and at games, we don't like the Ducks, maybe even hate them, but certainly not as much as the Kings. Your team has great leadership, has had really great drafting, and the fan base is passionate but not overly aggressive. Our games are always tight and exciting with high compete levels.

I mean, these two teams have met once in the playoffs, going on a decade ago, and that's where big time rivalries are born. Both teams have almost entirely different rosters from that series as well.
Meanwhile
the Sharks have played LA four times since then.

Here's hoping that neither mascot gets stuck in the rafters or set ablaze. Also, go Knights?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
To be fair, I think most of the "hate" between the California teams was mainly when LA was winning and had a lot of bandwagon fans. I think the true fans of all 3 fan bases respect each other and the teams (save maybe for a few individual players on each team).

seamore

May 16, 2013
Being a Kings fan, this was the outcome that I was hoping for. As for the Sharks vs. Ducks, I think it's going to be a pretty even match up. However, after battling both of these teams before past, I think the Ducks might be a bit more aggressive and physical. I think this will help them. I think the Ducks could take it in 6 or 7, but im sure it wont be easy.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't see any way this series doesn't go seven games. I would give the Ducks the edge in goal and the Sharks the edge in coaching.

Gonna go with the Sharks and E Kane to have a big impact.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I'm always down to watch a good Cali match-up in the playoffs, always tough and competitive!

In my opinion, a healthy Gibson and Getzlaf going beast mode will be too much for San Jose to overcome, Ducks in 6 or 7.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Pavelski, Thornton's trigger, was obviously injured early this season and they had a revolving door on the other wing. With that, I think you may be attributing too much on age and doing him a disservice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad