Series Talk: WCF: San Jose Sharks vs. St. Louis Blues

Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Smite

May 7, 2019
We need a steal from Jones tomorrow. A similar performance that was in that 1-2 loss since he kept us in the game and we just couldn't score

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Game 6 will be the Sharks' 5th elimination game. They've won the previous 4. Just need to win 2 more.

I know their pride is hurt following yesterday's game, and they'll be much better in St. Louis, but overcoming injuries will be a huge challenge.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Game 6 will be the Sharks' 5th elimination game. They've won the previous 4. Just need to win 2 more.

I know their pride is hurt following yesterday's game, and they'll be much better in St. Louis, but overcoming injuries will be a huge challenge.

Yeah. Injuries are the primary issue. And with the way the Blues are getting away with dirty hits, I don't think it will get better even if we somehow win game 6.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah. Injuries are the primary issue. And with the way the Blues are getting away with dirty hits, I don't think it will get better even if we somehow win game 6.
At this point, the only thing that could change this playoffs is if we can bring in a rookie who proves to be a game breaker and the odds of that are exceedingly low.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
At this point, the only thing that could change this playoffs is if we can bring in a rookie who proves to be a game breaker and the odds of that are exceedingly low.
To take a f***ing hit and get knocked out.

Sarcasm aside, that is what we needed to do in the Avs series. But PDB does not have the f***ing balls to do that. He will play his vets because he knows exactly what they don't bring to the table.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
To take a ****ing hit and get knocked out.

Sarcasm aside, that is what we needed to do in the Avs series. But PDB does not have the ****ing balls to do that. He will play his vets because he knows exactly what they don't bring to the table.
I'm not exactly shocked that he hasn't. The best option we had was Gambrell and he's done f*** all. Then there's Checkhovich, Ferraro, and Merkley who have higher potentials but don't know the systems. It's kinda a tough position to be in...but I would've thrown Checkhovich into the fire personally.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm not exactly shocked that he hasn't. The best option we had was Gambrell and he's done **** all. Then there's Checkhovich, Ferraro, and Merkley who have higher potentials but don't know the systems. It's kinda a tough position to be in...but I would've thrown Checkhovich into the fire personally.

Yeah. Chekhovich could have worked because he was able to produce right away on the Cuda last year (after his season finished in the CHL). Same was true this season.

That being said, that is one of my biggest issues with PDB. He plays it too safe in his choices. Turtling during leads. Going back to Haley, etc. etc.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I'm not exactly shocked that he hasn't. The best option we had was Gambrell and he's done **** all. Then there's Checkhovich, Ferraro, and Merkley who have higher potentials but don't know the systems. It's kinda a tough position to be in...but I would've thrown Checkhovich into the fire personally.
Chmelevski is available too now.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah. Chekhovich could have worked because he was able to produce right away on the Cuda last year (after his season finished in the CHL). Same was true this season.

That being said, that is one of my biggest issues with PDB. He plays it too safe in his choices. Turtling during leads. Going back to Haley, etc. etc.
Whenever I see Haley or Goodrow out there, I always think back to the days of when we had Desjardins or Nichols. Those guys were really effective grinders for us who could throw down if they needed to. Goodrow isn't very effective and Haley is such a low end goon.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I thin the Blues will stop the head shots and other suspension worthy dirty hits for game 6. This is solely because the DOPeS will suspend any Blue player on a clinching win. Reason is they will be playing the Bruins, not the Sharks during the suspension.

So the Sharks need to take advantage of that, and Jones must come up with a SO worthy performance.

But if the Sharks are up 5-0 in the 3rd, the head shots will come back because they won't be playing the Bruins next, but just the Sharks.

I've been watching @NHLPlayerSafety tweets all morning, but only silence so far. I think the latest announcement that a player will have a hearing is 1PM or thereabouts that I've seen.

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Whenever I see Haley or Goodrow out there, I always think back to the days of when we had Desjardins or Nichols. Those guys were really effective grinders for us who could throw down if they needed to. Goodrow isn't very effective and Haley is such a low end goon.

I am really surprised as to how unproductive Gambrell has been in the NHL.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

As much as I f***ing hate Reaves, he is an effective 4th line player.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

I think even Wingels is a better grinder than Goodrow. Haley is not a real goon in my book, but something of an "in-betweener" of a goon and an agitator. Jack of a couple of trades, master of none.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yep, I expected much more from him. I guess I could say the same thing about Goodrow this season with all the playing time he gets.
The Sharks depth both offensively and defensively turned out to not really exist. Losing Simek hurt a lot, he had a very good season. Ryan's confidence was destroyed. Heed was ok, but his confidence is low and his development stalled. Middleton isn't ready to be an NHL regular, and he may never be. Goodrow and Melker had replacement level seasons, didn't score a ton and have been non-factors in the playoffs excluding a game 7 OT goal. Haley isn't very good at hockey. Gambrell showed nothing in his limited time. Suomela struggled mightily after the first few weeks. Sorensen had a decent year but has not been good in the playoffs at all. Donskoi's confidence was destroyed even though he is clearly so much better than all the other bottom 6 forwards. Depth was supposed to be a strength, but Deboer simply won't use or doesn't trust a lot of those depth players. The ones he does trust just aren't very good.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
I wonder if they'll be able to patch up this team. These are blind estimation, but maybe something like this is reasonable.
Karlsson: 1%
Hertl: 10%
Pavelski: 20%
Donskoi: 98%

Most likely only Donskoi plays.

How is Radil at center? Who could play there otherwise? Kane and Nyquist maybe? The Couture line has been out of it for 3 games now, so I wouldn't mind splitting that line up.
Heed is the only D I have any trust for in terms of handling the pace.

Meier-Couture-Nyquist
Kane-Radil-Donskoi
Sörensen-Thornton-Labanc
Karlsson-Goodrow-Haley

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Braun
Ryan-Heed

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
The Sharks depth both offensively and defensively turned out to not really exist. Losing Simek hurt a lot, he had a very good season. Ryan's confidence was destroyed. Heed was ok, but his confidence is low and his development stalled. Middleton isn't ready to be an NHL regular, and he may never be. Goodrow and Melker had replacement level seasons, didn't score a ton and have been non-factors in the playoffs excluding a game 7 OT goal. Haley isn't very good at hockey. Gambrell showed nothing in his limited time. Suomela struggled mightily after the first few weeks. Sorensen had a decent year but has not been good in the playoffs at all. Donskoi's confidence was destroyed even though he is clearly so much better than all the other bottom 6 forwards. Depth was supposed to be a strength, but Deboer simply won't use or doesn't trust a lot of those depth players. The ones he does trust just aren't very good.
Agree on all counts.
As an aside, I really think Donskoi should cut at least 3" on his stick length, would let him do his dangles and cuts closer to his body when players are in tight.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
For some perspective: The Sharks were on a 1-8-1 stretch just a couple games before the playoffs. Once they reached the 1st round they were down 3-1 to Vegas.

We honestly shouldn't even be here today. Not because of refs or anything that hypocritcal knobs want to try and say, but because of odds. I hope the team understands the odds they've already worked through and put out one hell of an effort tomorrow.

Reactions: Phu and BigDmitriy

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Am going with the fact, we're better than them. Regardless of who is playing, we can muster it.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I thin the Blues will stop the head shots and other suspension worthy dirty hits for game 6. This is solely because the DOPeS will suspend any Blue player on a clinching win. Reason is they will be playing the Bruins, not the Sharks during the suspension.

So the Sharks need to take advantage of that, and Jones must come up with a SO worthy performance.

But if the Sharks are up 5-0 in the 3rd, the head shots will come back because they won't be playing the Bruins next, but just the Sharks.

I've been watching @NHLPlayerSafety tweets all morning, but only silence so far. I think the latest announcement that a player will have a hearing is 1PM or thereabouts that I've seen.

I actually think the refs and league letting all of the headshots go is gonna get one of the Blues hurt if the Sharks find themselves trailing too far at any point in the next two games. Players are going to take matters into their own hands if frustration boils over. If I had to guess I’d say Kane with a high and dirty hit injuring someone.

Not that I actually want that to happen but I could definitely see it happening if it’s like 4-1 with 3 minutes left.

jammer25

Apr 28, 2019
I forget who said it and in which thread, but I'm leaning more toward the idea that the league wants the Sharks out so fans and media stop talking about the reffing controversy more than the games. A little nudge and a blind eye go a long way with that.

Every team gets lucky calls and non-calls, but we just got them in a shorter timeframe, in the playoffs, in games that mattered a bit more to the series. Unfortunate to say the least.

TexasShark

Jul 21, 2006
If there are that many injuries on the forwards, bring Radil in just to mix it up, bring Heed in and if EK65 has anything left in him dress him as a 7th D and use him on the PP only. I'm not ready to count TH48 out yet...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I forget who said it and in which thread, but I'm leaning more toward the idea that the league wants the Sharks out so fans and media stop talking about the reffing controversy more than the games. A little nudge and a blind eye go a long way with that.

Every team gets lucky calls and non-calls, but we just got them in a shorter timeframe, in the playoffs, in games that mattered a bit more to the series. Unfortunate to say the least.
If it's provable this is true, then the league should be sued.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If there are that many injuries on the forwards, bring Radil in just to mix it up, bring Heed in and if EK65 has anything left in him dress him as a 7th D and use him on the PP only. I'm not ready to count TH48 out yet...
Hertl was able to play over 25 minutes more after the headshot. Out of him, Karlsson and Pavelski, he's the one I'm concerned about the least. Was likely precautionary since the Sharks mailed it in with over 33 minutes left when Tarasenko scored.

Reactions: DeadGhost and Phu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad