GDT: WCF Game 4: Blues @ Sharks: 4:15 PM - The G.I. Joe Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even though it seemed because of so many issues earlier in the game, this loss mostly comes down to wretched and absolutely rubbish special teams. There is not a strong enough adjective to describe just how poor the penalty killing and power play were tonight.

It's one thing to just piss away all your power play's and not score on them, but allowing a goal against on the power is the coup de grace. You can't afford to give up a goal on your PP like that, especially when you're having your own problems not allowing goals on the other teams power play and scoring goals on the power play yourself. That shorthanded goal sunk any chance of a comeback. And it wasn't even like a one off mistake, as I remember at least one odd man rush on that same power play just seconds before. The power play literally had nothing going tonight, it's no wonder it only took about 30 seconds of the net empty for them to score an empty net goal. Any man advantage or disadvantage situation tonight was terrible.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Geez, some of you guys really need to step away from the edge of the cliff. Being way more pessimistic than usual for these boards and that's saying something :shakehead

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Geez, some of you guys really need to step away from the edge of the cliff. Being way more pessimistic than usual for these boards and that's saying something :shakehead

Today sucked, I just hope they can win on Monday. If not. Our goose is cooked.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

The Sharks got crushed today... :( I felt really deflated afterwards and whereas I'm hopeful that they'll make the necessary adjustments, it's hard for me to see them winning the series. Game 5 will be the deciding factor imo...I hope they just try to forget the cluster**** from today. Go Sharks!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's a pretty terrible mentality to have. You're in it to win it or you might as well not play at all because you'll embarrass yourself much like the Sharks did tonight.

We're fans. We aren't in anything here to where the mentality is relevant to the results of games.

hockeyfan55

Nov 24, 2009
The Sharks got crushed today... :( I felt really deflated afterwards and whereas I'm hopeful that they'll make the necessary adjustments, it's hard for me to see them winning the series. Game 5 will be the deciding factor imo...I hope they just try to forget the clusterf*** from today. Go Sharks!

I don't see why you think that. The blues didnt do anything today to make me think the sharks cant win. The sharks played like ass. Almost all there goals were resulted from dumb errors they normally dont make.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
What's concerning is that they still need a wake up call this late into the post-season. Hopefully this will work, but given their history, I don't know what to expect in any game anymore. They had a chance this game to completely wipe any confidence the Blues had in their game, but instead shot themselves in the foot.

In the Nashville series, there were a couple of games where the Sharks looked like they needed a wake-up call...and it was the usual suspects: Thornton, Marleau, Couture. That was bad and it was pointed out.

This game was different. There was no tiredness, complacency, or laziness, there were just a lot of mental mistakes and gripping-of-sticks at certain points. Plus, the greatest concerns were the defensemen (all six of them) and the goaltender, not the forwards. The Blues made some adjustments, especially on special teams, and the Sharks will need to adjust.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
The Sharks got crushed today... :( I felt really deflated afterwards and whereas I'm hopeful that they'll make the necessary adjustments, it's hard for me to see them winning the series. Game 5 will be the deciding factor imo...I hope they just try to forget the clusterf*** from today. Go Sharks!

The Blues got outplayed the first 3 games and got shutout games 2 and 3. I'm not confident at all since I'm a Sharks fan but I just don't get how a 6-3 win is more impressive than a 4-0 and 3-0 win. At least the Sharks managed to score. I guess this game is fresher in people's minds but the Sharks just came off 2 really good games and they can do it again... maybe... hopefully.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
After outplaying the Blues for 2 (arguably 3) games, they were due to come out flying and they did, we just couldn't weather the early storm. I have confidence that we'll be able to make adjustments, it was already beginning to show in the 3rd today.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
This board is always on the edge of extreme emotion, you'd all be exhausting to date.

Yeah, Sharks didn't play great - but Blues had a lot of puck luck too. Sharks weren't as tight defensively as they were in 2 and 3 - they didn't execute as well either. To me, it seemed like they were overthinking - trying to replicate what they did before by actively thinking about it rather than playing the game plan. I think the road is a perfect place to recapture that.

Blues beat two good teams - they weren't going to roll over. Stop panicking and trust in your team - if they lose the series, freak out, in the meantime have a LITTLE faith.

I liked that they dominated in the 3rd. I like that they know - from game 1-3 how to beat the Blues. And I like that they know not to relax or underestimate them.

Sharks in 6.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
The Blues got outplayed the first 3 games and got shutout games 2 and 3. I'm not confident at all since I'm a Sharks fan but I just don't get how a 6-3 win is more impressive than a 4-0 and 3-0 win. At least the Sharks managed to score. I guess this game is fresher in people's minds but the Sharks just came off 2 really good games and they can do it again... maybe... hopefully.

It's a game of adjustments...Hitchcock made his today, and hopefully DeBoer will make his for Game 5. I am hopeful that the Sharks clean up their game and get back to where they were before today. However, the Blues are a very good team, and if the Sharks don't do that, they're screwed imo.

I don't see why you think that. The blues didnt do anything today to make me think the sharks cant win. The sharks played like ass. Almost all there goals were resulted from dumb errors they normally dont make.

Well, I guess I think that the Blues' relentless forecheck partially contributed to the Sharks playing like ass. They also capitalized on the Sharks' mistakes, and they annihilated the Sharks on special teams. Sure, if the Sharks make the necessary adjustments to special teams (less stupid penalties, better PP, etc.) and clean up the mistakes in the defensive end and turnovers, they might have a shot. I guess I am not as confident as you that they will be able to do that.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The game sucked, but we'll be fine, relax. The Sharks came out flat, but they were back to dominating in the third. We've dominated FAR more than the Blues so far in this series. This is the conference finals, the Blues are a good team, they were bound to win a few period, they just happened to finally string two together in the same game.

Sharks are the better team, and that will show when the series is over. Take a big breath and remember it's a best of 3 now.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wow guys, we've been outscored 5v5 in this series as many times as I've played an NHL game, yet this series is already over? Good to know.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
This board is always on the edge of extreme emotion, you'd all be exhausting to date.

Yeah, Sharks didn't play great - but Blues had a lot of puck luck too. Sharks weren't as tight defensively as they were in 2 and 3 - they didn't execute as well either. To me, it seemed like they were overthinking - trying to replicate what they did before by actively thinking about it rather than playing the game plan. I think the road is a perfect place to recapture that.

Blues beat two good teams - they weren't going to roll over. Stop panicking and trust in your team - if they lose the series, freak out, in the meantime have a LITTLE faith.

I liked that they dominated in the 3rd. I like that they know - from game 1-3 how to beat the Blues. And I like that they know not to relax or underestimate them.

Sharks in 6.

Closest to my take on the game, having been there live. Sharks were their own worst enemy tonight and the blues got a ton of puck luck. Several critical unforced errors. It happens but the sharks absolutely had their chances. Need to tighten up on defense and execution.

During the game it looked to me like the team just needed one spark to start rolling and I think that turned out true. It was largely bad luck the spark came so late and the blues had so many goals by then.

At this point the way I see it is the sharks with good luck will smoke the blues. With bad luck they could still pull something off but likely won't. Stl with bad luck will get absolutely pasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad