GDT: WC USA vs Sweden

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Still a good position, Norway and Latvia must be in six points, Germany will probably be a rival to QF. Unfortunately, OT is always suffering to follow. Why is Tömmernes playing? I would also like to see Brome's speed. This is sabotage from the coach, fortunately it worked out for Finland for two points, not today.

I will not complain to the judges, I will just write that karma will return it to Sweden. It is always the case that if they help you, it will return to you in the following matches. OT clearly for the US, there Ullmark has long held the hope of winning.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I did not like Marcus Pettersson at all today. I don’t think he’s that much better than Anton Lindholm.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I did not like Marcus Pettersson at all today. I don’t think he’s that much better than Anton Lindholm.
Im no Pettersson lover yet he arrived like yesterday with a probable jetlag and such. Makes Grundströms performance even more impressive by the way. Im sure Pettersson will improve this team, when it's time for the do or die rounds. Arent the rinks NHL-sized now by the way (?) looks like it. The NHLers have a new advantage there, over the Europeans, compared to previous tournaments

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Im no Pettersson lover yet he arrived like yesterday with a probable jetlag and such. Makes Grundströms performance even more impressive by the way. Im sure Pettersson will improve this team, when it's time for the do or die rounds. Arent the rinks NHL-sized now by the way (?) looks like it. The NHLers have a new advantage there, over the Europeans, compared to previous tournaments
The rinks are hybrid sized, smaller than SHL rinks but bigger than NHL rinks. Your point about rust and jetlag is absolutely a valid one, but I remember Pettersson’s horrendous QF showing in 2019 too well to not be concerned.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The NHLers have a new advantage there, over the Europeans, compared to previous tournaments
Finns have played on such rinks for years, KHL has been played mostly on NA/Finnish rinks for 3 years. "European rink size" is just a cliche that people can't get over.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Finns have played on such rinks for years, KHL has been played mostly on NA/Finnish rinks for 3 years. "European rink size" is just a cliche that people can't get over.
nope because its only finns and russiasns who play in na/finnish rinks rest of the european nations play on big ice

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
If nothing has changed, the NL is played on wide ice, Switzerland has 17 players from the domestic league and they are able to beat Canada. These excuses for the size of the ice are ridiculous today, I wouldn't pull it out at all.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If nothing has changed, the NL is played on wide ice, Switzerland has 17 players from the domestic league and they are able to beat Canada. These excuses for the size of the ice are ridiculous today, I wouldn't pull it out at all.
USA was better than us and deserved to win. I personally dont have excuses. But im not that high on this swedish as many others. Coaching is still shit. Forwards are too many grinders.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I don’t think its as much about the rinksize as it is arriving on a new continent with a vastly different time zone, playing with a completely new constellation of players. Takes some getting used to.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
The rinks are hybrid sized, smaller than SHL rinks but bigger than NHL rinks. Your point about rust and jetlag is absolutely a valid one, but I remember Pettersson’s horrendous QF showing in 2019 too well to not be concerned.
There are three differnet sizes then. This "hybrid" one, and the SHL-one and NHL-one Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "cliché" or "excuse"?. The rink differs more than 4m in with between the SHL and NHL one, of course you are going to get a different kind of game depending on wich one you play on. Good players are still gonna be good wherever they play, yet it's a reasonable take to count on a game or two for them to adopt to a new rinksize. Some players game are for sure more suited for bigger rinks and some for smaller, no need to be brainy to figure that out..

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I don’t think its as much about the rinksize as it is arriving on a new continent with a vastly different time zone, playing with a completely new constellation of players. Takes some getting used to.
Of course, NHL players will have 1-2 games having trouble acclimatizing to a different size of ice. It's a natural part of the game that they don't jump on the ice right away and don't win 8-0. There are also surprises mostly at the beginning of the tournament, it is difficult for Austria to beat the Czechs in the penultimate match of the basic group. After all, Sweden did not catch the beginning last year and it was not enough to erase the loss. Wide ice is a relic of the past, the game is getting faster and faster, and if the player has above-average quality, he will succeed on both narrow and wide ice.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
There are three differnet sizes then. This "hybrid" one, and the SHL-one and NHL-one Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "cliché" or "excuse"?. The rink differs more than 4m in with between the SHL and NHL one, of course you are going to get a different kind of game depending on wich one you play on. Good players are still gonna be good wherever they play, yet it's a reasonable take to count on a game or two for them to adopt to a new rinksize. Some players game are for sure more suited for bigger rinks and some for smaller, no need to be brainy to figure that out..
There is 0 evidence familiarity with the rink size converts into anything tangible. KHL is played on all 3 rink sizes, players need to adapt on a game-to-game basis. It never caused any issues or proved the home team gets some kind of quantifiable edge.

In this very tournament, very familiar with the rink size Kazakhs were crushed 9-1 in the opener by Danes who have 3 players not playing on the big ice for their clubs. Rink size means nothing.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As long as Tömmernes has regular minutes on the team no defenseman is too weak to play. When you sack Tömmernes you know your D-line is solid. Pudas is thankfully already gone. Kling och Klang.

And when Nordström is at best a bottom 6 grinder you know your offense is starting to look ok. And when Garpenlöv isn't there you know you have a chance of a good coach. A basketball with a smiley and a cap on it is an improvement, let the players handle it.

Reflecting upon the game I found it very unusual the refs allowed alot of quite violent things to happen on the ice. Normally in international hockey a player is penalized if they as much as fart. Not today, at all, apparently, for no reason. The US team was just as physical against the Swedish team as against the Finnish team, yet they had 6 penalty minutes instead of 41. Same as the Swedish team, evened out. What a f***ing joke.

It's round robin and the Muricans were allowed to be quite brutal out there with no consequences. Open cross checks not even happening in front of the crease, cross checks in the face, nothing. Just fine.

It was kind of ridiculous compared to the level of all the other games. Or the refs were just incompetent which is certainly a possibility. Even if the Swedish PP has been dog shit, the Muricans should still be thankful the refs turned into NHL playoff game managers all of a sudden. I've NEVER seen anything like it in round robin in IIHF for 20 years.

Seriously, were the refs bribed? Had they put bets of their own? Or were they just that incompetent? It was laughable. And let me guess, these total asshat clowns called "refs" will be back next year. What a disgrace.

Anyway, the US played well up to their ability and it's fun to see they're here not just fool around.

Last edited:
Reactions: AB13

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
As long as Tömmernes has regular minutes on the team no defenseman is too weak to play. When you sack Tömmernes you know your D-line is solid. Pudas is gladly already gone. Kling och Klang.

And when Nordström is at best a bottom 6 grinder you know your offense is starting to look ok. And when Garpenlöv isn't there you know you have a chance of a good coach. A basketball with a smiley and a cap on it is an improvement, let the players handle it.
Why do you keep bashing Tömmernäs? He has been great until today. Marcus Pettersson was way worse than Tömmernäs.

And no, Nordström is not our best bottom 6 player. Not even close. Friberg, Klingberg, Lang, Åman are miles better. Even Bengtsson is better.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
There is 0 evidence familiarity with the rink size converts into anything tangible. KHL is played on all 3 rink sizes, players need to adapt on a game-to-game basis. It never caused any issues or proved the home team gets some kind of quantifiable edge.

In this very tournament, very familiar with the rink size Kazakhs were crushed 9-1 in the opener by Danes who have 3 players not playing on the big ice for their clubs. Rink size means nothing.
"Rinksize means nothing" , You put yourself in a bad spot in a debate when you talk in absolutes like that. For years (since like the begining of the rinksize-difference) Europeans have been more for skill and technique in general. better at skating with the puck and passing, whilst the north Americans have been better at north-south hockey, in traffic and small areas, tougher, hitters etc. in general, of course with exceptions. That is a coincidence you think? Like a cultural thing, right? Nothing to do with rink-size, not a tiny bit? *sarcasm*

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Why do you keep bashing Tömmernäs? He has been great until today. Marcus Pettersson was way worse than Tömmernäs.

And no, Nordström is not our best bottom 6 player. Not even close. Friberg, Klingberg, Lang, Åman are miles better. Even Bengtsson is better.
And when was he great? At the EHT tournament? As soon as the Americans attacked him and played him in the body, he preferred to throw the puck away. Dahlin managed the body much better, as did Gustafsson. I don't want to compare the qualities of all three players, but Tömmernes was scared and I didn't feel good in the pair with Pettersson if they were both on the ice.

If Sweden has only two defensive pairs that can play ahead and one that can't, it's a weakness and the opponents will know and feel it. Today it was, yet Garpenlöv gave Tömmernes time in PP2 when OEL could not play. And it was bad, fortunately Sweden has the last two West against Norway and Latvia. If the OEL has only minor health problems, I would let it rest tomorrow. And Nordström managed to play badly below expectations. Any normal coach would take him off from the first attack and give him a role that suits him. But not Garpenlöv, because he is the captain's assistant..

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
"Rinksize means nothing" , You put yourself in a bad spot in a debate when you talk in absolutes like that. For years (since like the begining of the rinksize-difference) Europeans have been more for skill and technique in general. better at skating with the puck and passing, whilst the north Americans have been better at north-south hockey, in traffic and small areas, tougher, hitters etc. in general, of course with exceptions. That is a coincidence you think? Like a cultural thing, right? Nothing to do with rink-size, not a tiny bit? *sarcasm*
So do you have any evidence it converts into some tangible advantage or do you just continue to talk the same way in this absolute of yours?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
And when was he bright? At the EHT tournament? As soon as the Americans attacked him and played him in the body, he preferred to throw the puck away. Dahlin managed the body much better, as did Gustafsson. I don't want to compare the qualities of all three players, but Tömmernes was scared and I didn't feel good in the pair with Pettersson if they were both on the ice.

If Sweden has only two defensive pairs that can play ahead and one that can't, it's a weakness and the opponents will know and feel it. Today it was, yet Garpenlöv gave Tömmernes time in PP2 when OEL could not play. And it was bad, fortunately Sweden has the last two West against Norway and Latvia. If the OEL has only minor health problems, I would let it rest tomorrow. And Nordström managed to play badly below expectations. Any normal coach would take him off from the first attack and give him a role that suits him. But not Garpenlöv, because he is the captain's assistant..
You are clearly not watching the games if you think Tömmernäs was bad against Uk, Austria, Finland and Czechia.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
So do you have any evidence it converts into some tangible advantage or do you just continue to talk the same way in this absolute of yours?
Heh whatever. 300 square meters smaller -the north american rink is. The bluelines are on a 1.2 meters shorter distance from the red-line. Its 1.2 m wider the rink surface behind the net in the NHL compared to the SHL wich make the game flow differently, "evidence" enough ?

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
You are clearly not watching the games if you think Tömmernäs was bad against Uk, Austria, Finland and Czechia.
No, I don't think he was bad against the opponents you mentioned. But today it was just bad, which is disturbing before the game in QF. And it would be a big problem if the OEL were eliminated by the end of the tournament. Now it's hard to predict anything, the other rivals are Norway and Latvia. Tömmernes can play his standard here, but before QF he can repeat today's performance and then it's a problem. Otherwise, I don't mind Tömmernes, I like him as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad