WC SF: MAY 8 GDT - SLOVAKIA vs. CANADA (1-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
[SEMIFINAL]
Official Tournament website: http://www.iihf.com
Follow the games on-line: http://www.iihf.com/hydra/tournaments/output/WS/
--------------------------------
Slovakia vs. Canada
--------------------------------

My prediction: 4-3 Slovakia (OT Shootouts)

Canada is getting better for each game (or?) :) and this will not be an easy game for the Slovakian players, who have been much more impressive than the Canadian ones IMO. Should be a great game.

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
Oh man....this is going to be one tough game. The Finals berth depends on this....I think both teams will bring their best games. Slovakia has been impressive, but their 1st line of Gaborik-Stumpel-Satan has to heat up again, especially now that they will be facing a top goaltender in Luongo. Heatley has been great for Canada, and they will need him to win. Their game plan will be focused on shutting down Slovakia's fast forwards, limiting their access to room and puck. Slovakia will need their top 4 stars to come up big and Lasak will have to be on top of his game to win. I say...4-3 Slovakia. Seems logical, but then again, not much has been logical at the tournament the last few games. This could easily go both ways.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Wow!

Slovakia certainly is stacked - Demitra, Satan, Hossa, Gaborik, Chara...is Head Coach Frantisek Hossa in any way related to Marian? Or is that just a coincidence?

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Slovakia looks very sharp in this tournament. Canada only impressed me once (Germany game). I would have to say that the Slovaks are more prepared for this game after coming out of a harder division. It will be close but I'll say .........

5-4 Slovakia

Slovakia - Hossa (2), Demitra, Satan & Chara
Canada - Heatley (3), Briere

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Wow!

Slovakia certainly is stacked - Demitra, Satan, Hossa, Gaborik, Chara...is Head Coach Frantisek Hossa in any way related to Marian? Or is that just a coincidence?

he's his father :teach:

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Wow!

It´s his dad.

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
Yup, Frantisek is the father of Marcel and Marian Hossa (or 'Fero'). Marian's nickname also comes from his father, who is called 'Fero'.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Canada's defense is really going to have to step up in this one. So far I have found their defense to be OK but they are going to have to raise the bar against the Slovaks. Should be a great game. GO Canada!!

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I'm hoping Canada, but I don't have much confidence in them. They haven't exactly been great so far, but I'm cheering for them!

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Its hard to take any sides in this game, Luongo has to be better than he was against Finland. If Lasak is solid Slovakia should win.

Well i´m usually with Canada when Finns get eliminated so its

4-3 for Canada after penalty shootout.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
5-4 canada in OT, because they generally seem to play bad but win the big ones.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Golbez said:
Slovensko 3 - Kanada 1

SLOVENSKO DO TOHO!!! Team Canada just picked too many 'average' players

???? We don't have a choice.. the star players don't want to go over to Europe after a long grueling season.. they'd rather go home.. saying Canada made a mistake is rather short sighted.

Golbez

BAuldie said:
???? We don't have a choice.. the star players don't want to go over to Europe after a long grueling season.. they'd rather go home.. saying Canada made a mistake is rather short sighted.

I'm well aware of the problem Team Canada has with it's stars 'cherry-picking' their national team starts, and it's a shame that the WC means so little to Canada (Although it's not as bad as the USA).

I'd like to see Canada bring a couple of European-based players. They have a few skilled players in Europe that are quite used to the style of play. We too often see some Canadian forwards (usually power forwards) have trouble adapting to the large ice surface and the difference in the offensive styles.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Golbez said:
I'm well aware of the problem Team Canada has with it's stars 'cherry-picking' their national team starts, and it's a shame that the WC means so little to Canada (Although it's not as bad as the USA).

I'd like to see Canada bring a couple of European-based players. They have a few skilled players in Europe that are quite used to the style of play. We too often see some Canadian forwards (usually power forwards) have trouble adapting to the large ice surface and the difference in the offensive styles.

Iwas under the impression that Glen Metropolit from Helsinki Jokerit was going to the Team Canada training camp prior to the WC. But I guess he wasn't there after all? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad