WC QF: May 12 GDT - Czech Rep. vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It's a shame the U.S. lost, especially with having a two goal lead, but the Czechs were clearly the better team today. Props to the U.S. brass for bringing in some new blood, and BIG props to Rick DiPietro for having such a great tourney.

Last edited:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Le Golie said:
I just saw the replay, it wasn't bad. It was a good deke, DP went for the poke check and guessed wrong on the deke. Rucinsky pulled it over to his backhand, avoided the poke check and scored.

Didn't Rucinsky score on the FIRST try by Czech? From that point out, it puts the pressure on two forces: (1) US shooters to keep up and overcome the deficit, (2) DP to not let in anymore. It appears DP did his part, the shooters did not.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Sammy said:
How does Weight look stupid? He was accurate in what he said.

How does he not look stupid? He went to the media and implied that his coach was wrong for choosing someone to take a penalty shot because other guys were better choices.

All those other guys failed, including Weight, who suggested he is good on breakaways and should have taken the Parise shot.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Just saw the game on replay. Nice penalty that baby Dipietro took in the third period costing the US the game. 5 penalty shot breakaways and no goals. Suck

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Good game by the Czech Republic. They were obviously the better team today, but the US scored 2 very nice goals and also deserve a thumb up!

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
nyrmessier011 said:
Just saw the game on replay. Nice penalty that baby Dipietro took in the third period costing the US the game. 5 penalty shot breakaways and no goals. Suck

Eh, figures a Ranger fan would blame the whole game on the Player of The Game for the US. Fact is, it probably would've been 6-2 had Mike Dunham been in net! I'm kidding....really.

DiPietro faced 52 shots in the game and overall, had a great tournament. The US offense just didn't get it done today.

Sammy*

Le Golie said:
How does he not look stupid? He went to the media and implied that his coach was wrong for choosing someone to take a penalty shot because other guys were better choices.

All those other guys failed, including Weight, who suggested he is good on breakaways and should have taken the Parise shot.
The coach was wrong. Parise's "schtick" isnt even as a goal sorer at this stage of his career. Just because those guys didnt score today certainly doesnt make him right & Weight stupid.
I suppose you would have said "good pick" if Laviolitte had picked Ryan Suter for the shot Parise took?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Le Golie said:

I think Weight was fully justified making his comments when he did. Parise was a surprise pick to take the penalty shot in the Ukraine game, especially given the timing. The fact that Weight didn't score in a shootout in the game against the Czechs is irrelevant IMO (although he did hit the post).

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
OpAckTool said:
Eh, figures a Ranger fan would blame the whole game on the Player of The Game for the US. Fact is, it probably would've been 6-2 had Mike Dunham been in net! I'm kidding....really.

DiPietro faced 52 shots in the game and overall, had a great tournament. The US offense just didn't get it done today.

Ha... I am certain DiPi was great and gave his team a chance to win. Not every Ranger fan is biased.

Bottom line is this USA team just did not have many finishers. There's no Rick Nash or Ovechkin coming either.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Kovy274Hart said:
Ha... I am certain DiPi was great and gave his team a chance to win. Not every Ranger fan is biased.

Bottom line is this USA team just did not have many finishers. There's no Rick Nash or Ovechkin coming either.

Apart from Kessler?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Kovy274Hart said:
You mean Kessel. I wouldn't compare him to Nash or Ovechkin though. Those are pure snipers. Kessel's game is different. He is a superb skater and does have great hands. His future is bright.

I'd definitely qualify Kessel as a sniper.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I think Weight was fully justified making his comments when he did. Parise was a surprise pick to take the penalty shot in the Ukraine game, especially given the timing. The fact that Weight didn't score in a shootout in the game against the Czechs is irrelevant IMO (although he did hit the post).

He publically called out his coach and embarrassed him by questioning his decision making. He said he could do better and he said Modano could do better. A higher being saw it fit to give Weight a chance to back it up and he failed.

I like Weight but he comes out of this with egg on his face. No question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad