WC: May 2 GDT - Slovakia vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
so much optimism
but prevailing over Austria and tying Slovakia is a humble achievement.
What about stronger teams like Canada, US, Sweden, Finland and the Czechs ?
Where are ZHitnik, Zubov, Yushkevich, Tverdovsky ?

Last edited by a moderator:

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
TML-SM said:
so much optimism

один Андрюша Марков будет их держать в защите :)

Sweden ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm did you saw the last 2 games against Russia :D ???

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
TML-SM said:
so much optimism

No. The others will be fine ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
Well, for one thing TV channels in Canada are not showing any games that Russia played. I haven't seen a glimpse of this team and that's why I'm cautious.
Round robin doesn't concern me, the road to finals (if there is one) does.
They are showing game between the Swedes and the Danes instead of Belarus-Austria... great selection :sarcasm:

CSKA said:
Sweden ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm did you saw the last 2 games against Russia :D ???

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
TML-SM said:
Well, for one thing TV channels in Canada are not showing any games that Russia played.

What a surprise ;)

2:1 and 5:2 (against Sweden) last two games - it was the final of the Euro-championchips :yo:

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
TML-SM said:
cool. cool.
Ok dude, I don't get it...You live in Toronto, you speak Russian, you have a mongolian flag under your nickname and an avatar of a sweed player...Who are you??

The True Blue Crew

Jun 11, 2004
steps to the ACC
man, it's a long story
but to make it simple lemme just clarify a thing or two.
the swedish dude is Mats Sundin - a Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs - makes sense since I reside in Toronto.

Granted you recall the Soviet history, Mongolia pretty much became the 16th SSR.
or close to it. Poles, Bulgars or else can dispute that, even though I doubt they'd be willing to. Well, Bulgars might not mind.

I grew up in Moscow, if that helps ;)

I had Ovechkin till today on my avatar. Lacking good avatars, I decided to revive Mats to pay homage to his golden days, he isn't even playing for Team Sweden this year...

Berkut said:
Ok dude, I don't get it...You live in Toronto, you speak Russian, you have a mongolian flag under your nickname and an avatar of a sweed player...Who are you??

Last edited:

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
So you're originally from Mongolia? Mongolia is cool

Yes Mongolia almost became the 16th Soviet republic, but i guess the Soviet Union didn't want to have such huge borders with China...

BHLCommish

Apr 9, 2004
any update on Semin would be great, hopefully he's back for the next game. Surprising to hear Kovalchuk has played poorly, but great that Ovechkin is dominating.

Roger's Pancreas*

Berkut said:
How can he miss that??!! Even I could have put it in!

Slay, did you recorded the goals? Would be awesome.

He can stickhandle like you wouldn't believe but still has hands of stone.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
VanIslander said:
In the first game Slovakia had several individualistic surges toward the net get turned aside (Zednik, Palffy) and a passing line florish (Gaborik-Demitra-Hossa). The team showed some cohesiveness in the third period.

In their first game Russia had many ineffective puck-hogging surges (Yashin, Kovalchuk, Afinogenov, Ovechkin) and some moments of good passing and team play (Malkin, Kovalev, Datsyuk). The players never quite put it together and even the powerplay didn't show a unified formation of passing to and fro the point.

Litmus test time: Which group of players will put it together and gel as a team?

It'll be the game of the day, IMO.

Prediction: 3-3
I pegged it: 3-3 :D

But Slovakia showed more of a team game, and so looks more prepared to succeed in this tourney. Both of the top lines were gelling.

That said, Russia finally showed something other than the individual play of the previous game. At least there was some give-and-go plays, which is the beginning of working together. And there was some good set ups on the powerplay to keep the puck in deep, working along the boards. The goals were all lucky for Russia, but the kind of luck that is made: a deflection, a 5-on-3 and a rebound.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
What exactly do you call a "lucky" goal? A rebound is not a lucky goal, Kozlov's goal was not a "lucky" one either...Afinogenov had a bad luck and missed an open net, Slovakia got lucky to get a tie. Don't put it the other way around...

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
wassup77 said:
who cares about luck? as long as you keep getting pucks towards the net anything can happen.
Yes, but that guy is tring to say that Russia sucks and don't deserve a win basically...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Berkut said:
Yes, but that guy is tring to say that Russia sucks and don't deserve a win basically...
Not at all. They deserved the tie.

the kind of luck that is made: a deflection, a 5-on-3 and a rebound.
The game was a litmus test in "team play". working together, that was the standard used.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Anyone care to give me an updates on Dats and his play in the tourney so far. It sounded liked he had a good playoffs, and I was wondering if he has carried it over into the tourney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad