GDT: WC Latvia vs Czechs

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn't say the loss to Sweden was disappointing... they were the favs. The Austrian thing seems easily fixed if we keep winning as Austria already lost their next game. US will play a great game against us... I like their roster and they have some D that are better than our D. Swayman is my dream Oiler's goalie too!

Finn matchup... let's see standings after 6 games. Lots can happen.

I had Czech as the big favorite against Sweden because Sweden was doing their "gambling" and not filling all forward slots and I believe that they played just 6 d-men as well and Sweden played back to back games too (so did Czechs but it's more taxing for the team that has less players playing), but the actions in the game were unexpected. Sweden was good and Czech was disappointing.

Now, as expected it's starting to change for the better for the Czechs. Scary for my team Finland who has to play against Czech. K.Jalonen knows Jukka Jalonen's play book well and it will be interesting to see who outplays who tactically in the FIN-CZE game. It's truly a weapon to have one of the best Finnish coaches K.Jalonen against the best Finnish coach J.Jalonen. Finland gets less advantage of that than Finland is used to.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I had Czech as the big favorite against Sweden because Sweden was doing their "gambling" and not filling all forward slots and I believe that they played just 6 d-men as well and Sweden played back to back games too (so did Czechs but it's more taxing for the team that has less players playing), but the actions in the game were unexpected. Sweden was good and Czech was disappointing.

Now, as expected it's starting to change for the better for the Czechs. Scary for my team Finland who has to play against Czech. K.Jalonen knows Jukka Jalonen's play book well and it will be interesting to see who outplays who tactically in the FIN-CZE game. It's truly a weapon to have one of the best Finnish coaches K.Jalonen against the best Finnish coach J.Jalonen. Finland gets less advantage of that than Finland is used to.
I saw it as Sweden kicked our asses and full credit to them. They've done that to us a lot in the last decade lol. Beauty program.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's crazy to me how pasta and drai improved their shots so much. Neither was considered a sniper when drafted. In fact.. for Czechs... It was vrana was the gunner. All pasta does is shoot! It's awesome

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
lol, hilarious comment from the second commentator on the Czech Television stream who has been mostly silent, then suddenly "I want a goal"

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
I haven't seen the whole game but every time I notice Kempny, he looks completely lost, like he has no idea where to go and what to do.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well.. I'll take it. Not sure if our problems are solved after a nice first period or not.

Norway next I think... A win there would go a long way in making playoffs.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Smooth win today, it was apparent from the first shift that the team was seriously angry after that disaster vs. Austria and wanted to show they are not so bad. Also, Pastrňák's arrival surely helped a lot, he was looking like a player at a different level. Speed, skill, always with his head up. He's probably the only Czech player in the absolute star tier currently and it was clear in the game. Hopefully they can continue on this note vs. Norway.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Smooth win today, it was apparent from the first shift that the team was seriously angry after that disaster vs. Austria and wanted to show they are not so bad. Also, Pastrňák's arrival surely helped a lot, he was looking like a player at a different level. Speed, skill, always with his head up. He's probably the only Czech player in the absolute star tier currently and it was clear in the game. Hopefully they can continue on this note vs. Norway.
I would argue that Hertl is in that tier as well. 1C big body and big contract.

However... I wouldn't argue that this week lol

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
1C big body and big contract.
0.66 PPG career player, not 1C production and arguably not an actual 1C on his [pretty bad] team. I don't think anyone considers Hertl a star. My friend is Colorado fan and when Hertl signed his extension this year he didn't even know who that was. Had to remind him the 4-goal game and the whole rooster story which was probably the peak of Hertl's NHL stardom.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
0.66 PPG career player, not 1C production and arguably not an actual 1C on his [pretty bad] team. I don't think anyone considers Hertl a star. My friend is Colorado fan and when Hertl signed his extension this year he didn't even know who that was. Had to remind him the 4-goal game and the whole rooster story which was probably the peak of Hertl's NHL stardom.

I would say that Hertl is a very good two-way C at the NHL level, useful on the PP, PK, 5/5, but I wouldn't count him among top stars either. It is of course hard to compare different kinds of players. Pastrňák for example doesn't kill penalties, Hertl does. Hertl's strength is in the two-way character of his game, he can be really useful in all three zones. A very similar player to Bergeron typologically, but still we can see Bergeron has something special which Hertl lacks, although he is a great player.

Reactions: czechmate

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
In my opinion, a friend doesn't even know who he's supporting:snide:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I would say that Hertl is a very good two-way C at the NHL level, useful on the PP, PK, 5/5, but I wouldn't count him among top stars either. It is of course hard to compare different kinds of players. Pastrňák for example doesn't kill penalties, Hertl does. Hertl's strength is in the two-way character of his game, he can be really useful in all three zones. A very similar player to Bergeron typologically, but still we can see Bergeron has something special which Hertl lacks, although he is a great player.
Surely we have all expected more from Hertl so far. But there's definitely a star in the NHL, even though it's not a super star. Some see him there as 1C, some as good 2C.
And maybe even this championship will start so that we will all watch what a player it is;)

Reactions: BigBadBoar

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Surely we have all expected more from Hertl so far. But there's definitely a star in the NHL, even though it's not a super star. Some see him there as 1C, some as good 2C.
And maybe even this championship will start so that we will all watch what a player it is;)

I personally don't like evaluation of players based on if they are playing 1st or 2nd line. Hertl is a great player, very important for his team, no doubt about that. But I still don't see him in the absolute top class of forwards. Like, Bergeron has been the prototype of this kind of forward for me. Jonathan Toews is another example, and of course Alexander Barkov and a few other players. I see Hertl in the tier one step below those guys, but he's still a high level player.

Reactions: Goodman68

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I think Kari Jalonen has been a breath of fresh air for Czechia. He gave an interview which gave me an impression he knows what he is doing and even allowed Pastrnak to drink a few beers, which he likes very much.

Reactions: Mestaruus

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But there's definitely a star in the NHL
I guess it depends on your definition of a star. When it comes to name recognition, Hertl is probably 6th on Sharks alone (Couture, Burns, Karlsson, Meier, Vlasic). 67th in points in the NHL this year. 2nd time in his 9-year career with 50+ points. Never led even his own team in scoring. Career-best 38th in the NHL scoring.

If that's a star to you your star bar is a pretty low one to clear...

In my opinion, a friend doesn't even know who he's supporting:snide:
He's a casual fan who only knows star players on teams other than his own. Therefore, case in point.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I guess it depends on your definition of a star. When it comes to name recognition, Hertl is probably 6th on Sharks alone (Couture, Burns, Karlsson, Meier, Vlasic). 67th in points in the NHL this year. 2nd time in his 9-year career with 50+ points. Never led even his own team in scoring. Career-best 38th in the NHL scoring.

If that's a star to you your star bar is a pretty low one to clear...

He's a casual fan who only knows star players on teams other than his own. Therefore, case in point.
Your rating is more in the long run, last season he was probably the best striker of the team (this year Meier had a better season). Otherwise Vlasic as far as I know one of the worst contracts in the league, due to the performance very overpaid, Karlsson is not much better at it. I know what the fans wrote when it was speculated that he would stay at the club. They wrote that it is currently the face of the club and probably their best player (others mentioned Meier). So at the moment, he is definitely not considered in the club as perhaps the sixth biggest star of the team. But more importantly, whether he can do it at the championship, we definitely expect more from him.

Reactions: BigBadBoar

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Your rating is more in the long run, last season he was probably the best striker of the team (this year Meier had a better season). Otherwise Vlasic as far as I know one of the worst contracts in the league, due to the performance very overpaid, Karlsson is not much better at it. I know what the fans wrote when it was speculated that he would stay at the club. They wrote that it is currently the face of the club and probably their best player (others mentioned Meier). So at the moment, he is definitely not considered in the club as perhaps the sixth biggest star of the team. But more importantly, whether he can do it at the championship, we definitely expect more from him.
He's been over .8ppg the last 5 seasons combined. 30th in goals the last 5 seasons combined.

Here is the company he keeps in goal scoring since 2018:
1653053073788.png

Doesn't seem like bad company at all! And that doesn't include the 4 goal game that is apparantly his peak. Also, someone knows a guy in Colorado that hasn't heard of him.. so there is that too.

He is around 50th in points since 2018 as well

1653053167059.png

.84ppg which is why he got a big contract and was covetted around the NHL. I'd argue .84 ppg is also 1C territory. Let's look

1653053358945.png

24th amongst C's since 2018... 4 seasons now. Seems like pretty good company.

As far as Sharks and 6th best guy or whatever bullshit that was.. here are them the last 4 seasons

1653053667523.png

Second in points and first in .ppg.

I don't disagree though that there is a man in Denver that has never heard of him. My uncle in Brno also hasn't heard of him. Nor has my cousin in Vermont. I'll have to ask my boss later today if she's heard of him. Seems very relevant.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Look you want to believe he's a star - go ahead. Like I said, in the end, it all depends what do you think a star player is.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think Kari Jalonen has been a breath of fresh air for Czechia. He gave an interview which gave me an impression he knows what he is doing and even allowed Pastrnak to drink a few beers, which he likes very much.

Pastrnak with beer = Pastrnak 2.0. Twice more goals. Illegal against Finland.

Reactions: IceHockeyDude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad