WC Final: May 13th GDT - Finland vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

It was great to see the team come through in such impressive fashion when alot of people seemed to be doubting this team before they event. They were phenomenal today except for half of the 3rd period or so.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
Sorry, u r rite about that. But still this saravo's slowness.. it is not enough for international level. Also Saravo got another penalty before when he had to "bearhug" canadian like idiot.

What does it help to criticize these things when the games are over. It could have been anyone. Every year we find someone to bash because of our lost. I don't blame Saravo, I don't blame anyone. No... I don't like to lose, but someones gotta do it :)

So my finnish comrats. Let's NOT find any guilties. We all make mistakes, I know I've did and I know you've did. Think about the big picture!

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
If Kallio had wheels, he would've scored a couple today. He should not be on the team just because of his resume.

Pesonen could've at least maybe finished some of those wonderful plays.

Joretus

Sorry, u r rite about that. But still this saravo's slowness.. it is not enough for international level. Also Saravo got first penalty before when he had to "bearhug" canadian like idiot. Another penalty was coming for same reason but Nash put puck in the net.

It's simple our def wasn't good enough. That was already sure before tournament, Berg, Söderlhom and Saravo all were too slow today and in other games as well. Laamanen not being too good either, we had just 2 good D. So only chance would have been flawless playing and not taking so much penalties. As team we lost, not by one player.

I would blame a bit coaching staff as well, like not using Kontiola more, but all in all right team won since guys didn't play more than 20mins or so.

100mph slapshot

Nov 19, 2005
Finland
Gongrats to Canada. A well deserved win.

I think our boys were just too nervous at the start of the game and had their heads too psyched up which leads to a collection of bad penalties. That was the end of it really.
You have to keep your cool in these situations.
Another obvious thing was the lack of quality D. You just can't win anything with guys like Saravo and Söderholm playing regular shifts. This is the worst D Finland has iced in many, many years and I'm suprised they even got to the final. Losing Nummelin killed our powerplay completely. Just no imagination and creativity anymore.

And that goal by Nash.... what an effort.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Thank god it is Canada's anthem instead of Sweden's.

Amen. I would have to stay inside for weeks had it been's sweden's theme right now.

I remember going to school in the nineties when Finland still used to beat sweden on some occasions...

The result was...

Finns beats swedes

A swede beats this finn >_<

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Morozov & Markov...they must have played from their gurneys?

Try Phanuef & just about any other player...

you Russians sure have to get a grip on reality...

you'll never progress until you stop with the mulligans. :help:

Have you even watched the tourney? Markov and Nummelin have been key players for their respective teams.

I guess the selection of the all-stars shows also the fact the Canada was a Team, more than the sum of of it's individuals and thus they din not stand out that well.

In the Doghouse

Jan 22, 2003
Finland
Visit site
Team Finland in finals:

1992 World Championships: Loss
1994 World Championships: Loss
1995 World Championships: Win!!!
1998 World Championships: Loss
1999 World Championships: Loss
2001 World Championships: Loss
2004 World Cup: Loss
2006 Olympics: Loss
2007 World Championships: Loss

Damn, we're good at this! :shakehead

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
If Kallio had wheels, he would've scored a couple today. He should not be on the team just because of his resume.

Pesonen could've at least maybe finished some of those wonderful plays.

BOTH Pesonens had their chances to show them what they've got in the camp and practise games, but failed. Kallio was as good or bad as anyone else in this game after beeing one of the best players in the past two games.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ummm....I agree with Nummelin....

Have you even watched the tourney? Markov and Nummelin have been key players for their respective teams.

I guess the selection of the all-stars shows also the fact the Canada was a Team, more than the sum of of it's individuals and thus they din not stand out that well.

just not with Markov & Morozov.

And yes I watched the tournament...and yes you are right, Canada was the best team.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Team Finland in finals:

1992 World Championships: Loss
1994 World Championships: Loss
1995 World Championships: Win!!!
1998 World Championships: Loss
1999 World Championships: Loss
2001 World Championships: Loss
2004 World Cup: Loss
2006 Olympics: Loss
2007 World Championships: Loss

Damn, we're good at this! :shakehead
Too much Sisu is the reason ^^

Others teams don't play their heart out ALL THE TIME.

The important thing is that we have a team we can be very proud of. And looking to the future... We just know that our time will come.

Joretus

Don't think so. Saravo was almost on the goal line level and N. Kapanen had to guard the pass line to the blueline.

Well Kapanen were at least a lot closer to Nash when he came "inside" of box. Then again not surprised you would put that goal Saravo's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad