Value of: Wayne Simmonds or Boone Jenner to the Leafs

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
we're not at the point that we should be shopping for rentals unless you can get them for the proceeds of dealing JVR/Bozak, which is unlikely

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I am guessing Jackets want our 1st+ or Liljegren is mentioned. Our wingers are fine. Defense needs fixing. Other teams would likely outbid us.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Jarmo appears content to sit pat with what they have in Columbus....maybe even a little gun shy after watching Duchene turn into a disaster so far for Ottawa.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Simmonds is more than a rental, but yeah, point taken.

It's be at least Kapanen and 1st as the ask from our end.
I think getting Simmonds puts us into a similar situation next year that we're in right now with JVR. Simmonds is a better player so as much as I'd love to, I don't think there's a way to turn .75 of a season of JVR (by dealing him for picks/prospects then flipping the proceeds to Philly) into 1.75 seasons of Simmonds without a significant add on our end. I think it's early for us to be dipping into our own futures to bring in vets

Reactions: Starat327
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I just don’t know what Toronto would want to offer that makes it worth it for Columbus to trade Jenner. Columbus’s record is similar to the Leafs so they aren’t going to want futures. Jenner will be a rfa so he’s not a rental.

What would you offer Columbus that is cap neutral and improves them now and in the future? What they need is a young cost controlled top6 C.
A young cost controlled 2nd pairing rhd would be the only other possibility
Hint: no rentals no 30 year old + players.

Reactions: Viqsi

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Not sure why we'd want either. We don't need anymore wingers, let alone ones that take up cap moving forward...... unless the plan is to test out Jenner at #3C as a Bozak replacement.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
he is being realistic. To get Simmonds, thats what it would probably take. JVR/Bozak are not going to get it done.

No, its not realistic to think a team is going to trade a 21 year old 60 point RW with lots of team control left for a 29 year old RW with 1.5 years of a contract left, and looking at a significant price increase. And I say this as a Flyers fan.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
No, its not realistic to think a team is going to trade a 21 year old 60 point RW with lots of team control left for a 29 year old RW with 1.5 years of a contract left, and looking at a significant price increase. And I say this as a Flyers fan.
alright Flyers fan, what do you want for Simmonds then?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I mean, I want to win the powerball tonight too, but let's be realistic..

I am 100 percent serious.

I think Simmonds for Marner is a legitimate offer Philly should be seeking and value isn't insanely off. Remember, we got Top 5 picks in Schenn and Voracek (plus more) for Richie and Carter. Sure there's arguments to be made about their contracts being longer and being better (maybe), but that's why it's a 1-1 swap I'm proposing.

Marner seems to be the one struggling of the top 3 or 4 big guns in TO...Simmonds could really help them. Gotta give to get -- this may be the price to "get" a Wayne Simmonds.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I think Simmonds for Marner is a legitimate offer Philly should be seeking and value isn't insanely off. Remember, we got Top 5 picks in Schenn and Voracek (plus more) for Richie and Carter. Sure there's arguments to be made about their contracts being longer and being better (maybe), but that's why it's a 1-1 swap I'm proposing.

Marner seems to be the one struggling of the top 3 or 4 big guns in TO...Simmonds could really help them. Gotta give to get -- this may be the price to "get" a Wayne Simmonds.
Neither of Schenn or Voracek (not a top 5 pick) had Marner's NHL success when you traded for them, that makes a big difference in value. Voracek had a good season but had a full year of regression after it

I'm not in favour of the Leafs going after Simmonds so this isn't an attempt to convince you, but I think there was a significant difference in the perceived risk of Schenn/Voracek's offense translating to the NHL than there is with Marner's because of their NHL experience at the time of the trades

Also think that both Richards and Carter were considered more valuable than Simmonds (at least on the ice) at the time of the trades - both were centers, higher high water marks for their careers

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
As TaketheCannoli stated Jenner is not a rental. I would be interested in Kadri for Jenner + or ++. But if he's off the table there's nothing here. And please don't go down the Bozak path again.
he might be a rental to Toronto depending on what kind of money he commands after next year, we'll have cap constraints - rental in the sense that he might not be a long term roster player, not in the traditional "he's going to walk as a UFA" sense

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Yeah, but neither of Schenn or Voracek had shown what Marner has at the NHL level when they were traded. Its obviously only one season and a quarter, but I think that Marner is a much more highly rated player at this point than either of Voracek (who had struggled for 3 seasons before the trade) or Schenn (who, despite being the 'best prospect not playing in the nhl' couldnt make the Kings team.). As you mentioned, Richards and Carter were both young and locked up for a long time at the time of the trade. Simmonds is going to be hitting that 30 mark and only has 18 months of control left.

I also dont buy that 20 games is 'struggling' - mostly because i hated when people said it about Ghost last year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Neither of Schenn or Voracek (not a top 5 pick) had Marner's NHL success when you traded for them, that makes a big difference in value. Voracek had a good season but had a full year of regression after it

I'm not in favour of the Leafs going after Simmonds so this isn't an attempt to convince you, but I think there was a significant difference in the perceived risk of Schenn/Voracek's offense translating to the NHL than there is with Marner's because of their NHL experience at the time of the trades

Also think that both Richards and Carter were considered more valuable than Simmonds (at least on the ice) at the time of the trades - both were centers, higher high water marks for their careers
Agreed.

Simmonds is not getting Marner....no reason to go down that road people. Marner us worth more.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Marner had more points in his rookie season than Simmonds has ever had in his entire career..

Reactions: david999 and naruto

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I think JVR for Provorov is a legitimate offer Toronto should be seeking and value isn't insanely off. Remember, Philly got Top 5 picks in Schenn and Voracek (plus more) for Richie and Carter. Sure there's arguments to be made about their contracts being longer and being better (maybe), but that's why it's a 1-1 swap I'm proposing.

Provorov seems to be the one struggling of the top 3 or 4 big guns in Philly...JVR could really help them. Gotta give to get -- this may be the price to "get" a James Van Dreamsdyk.

Look what you made me do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad