Speculation: Wayne Gretzky interested in becoming Leafs President?

Kyle Doobas*

Paulina Gretzky is the Leafs' new team therapist?

Finally Kessel's social anxiety pays off!

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Andi Petrillo ‏@andipHNIC

Said him becoming President of the Leafs is news to him. Just a rumour. #Gretzky

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sounds like MLSE is out looking for some cheap and meaningless prestige with a hire like this. Unless Gretzky could go to bat for the Leafs when we're hunting UFAs, it seems less than useful.
Yeah, it doesn't make much sense unless there is some benefit to the Leafs beyond public relations. Whoever dreamed this up, you have to wonder what their sense of priorities is.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...-gretzky-toronto-maple-leafs-brian-burke.html

Wayne Gretzky says there is "100 per cent" no truth to the rumour he will succeed the fired Brian Burke as president of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Great One has mostly stayed away from the game since he resigned as head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes on Sept. 24, 2009.

“It was news to me,†Gretzky told Hockey Night in Canada Radio host Elliotte Friedman and co-host Kelly Hrudey on Wednesday when asked if he had heard the rumour floated a day earlier on Twitter by Bob McCown of Toronto sports radio station The Fan 590.

Gretzky said the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings are the only team to have contacted him about a return to the NHL, which he said isn't imminent.

Friedman said there have been reports at various times about third parties approaching Gretzky to guage his interest in a job with the Maple Leafs.

“Directly? No,†Gretzky said. “I’ve spent a lot of time with people in the [Maple Leafs] organization but not one time has there even been any direct contact. Really, the only team I’ve talked to about being involved is [general manager] Dean Lombardi and the L.A. Kings.

“I always have good friends of mine who live in southern Ontario, live in the Toronto area, asking if I’m going to be back in hockey and if you ever get back should get back in this area.â€

Hockey Night in Canada Radio | Jan 23, 2013 | 19:21

Wayne Gretzky: No truth to the rumours

The Great One clarifies the rumours surrounding his joining the Maple Leafs.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2328399063/

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
His previous work outside of being a player hasn't gone so well. Coupled with claiming one of the most bitter moments for many Leaf fans as one of his favourites, I'm tempted to say "No".

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder if Phaneuf and his Redbull hats had any impact on Gretzky not having interest in the job?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not sure how never having had discussions translate to no interest in the job.

I for one would love to have a classy guy like Wayne in the organization, and you have to think it wouldn't hurt when recruiting FA's. But as they pointed out on Hockey Central, until a CEO is chosen it's not likely they will hire a President.

This is something that could work though , later down the line.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Apparently Gretzky was asked and he said no.

Apparently you didn't listen to it. He clearly states he was never asked. He also said there would be no issue with working in Toronto leaving the door wide open. Though it does sound like he is in no rush to get back into the game at that level. That could change quickly though.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kind of reinforces the notion that the only thing the board is concerned with is superficial appearance.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Rumors over recent days regarding the possibility of MLSE having interest in hiring Hall Of Famer Wayne Gretzky as Leafs team president were squelched by Sportsnet FAN 590 host Bob McCown, who reported via Twitter this morning that a member of the MLSE board had talked to the former superstar about the position vacated by the dismissal of Brian Burke two weeks ago and that “the Great One” was not interested.

According to McCown, the long time host of FAN 590’s Prime Time Sports, “Chance Gretzky lands with Leafs....... 0.1%”

Gretzky has been conspicuous in his absence from the hockey scene since losing his 10% stake in the ownership in the Phoenix Coyotes in 2009 to bankruptcy and it is expected that once the ownership situation in Arizona is resolved(and he is reimbursed for his share of the club) that the 51 year old would be open to getting involved in an ownership or management with another club.

McCown mentioned that the possibility of the California based Gretzky becoming involved with an ownership group looking to buy the Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings.

This denial of interest will not end the story, only Gretzky taking a role with another club will truly end it. With the ownership split between two media conglomerates, the hiring of arguably the best hockey player of all time in any role would be a public relations coup, but it has to be a concern whether his past experience as point man for the Canadian Olympic Team and director of hockey operations in Phoenix constitutes enough of a resume.

Hiring Wayne Gretzky to be the face of a franchise is one thing. Having him be responsible for putting together a winning team under an intense media microscope in Toronto is quite another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad