Speculation: Wayne Gretzky interested in becoming Leafs President?

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Please bring in someone (Don't care if it's Gretzky or not) who can run this team. Rogers/Bell etc.. need to keep out of hockey operations.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
What does the President do exactly?

you know the usual: gay parades, kiss soldier butt, try to get don cherry fired, try to get dave feschuk fired, refuse to talk to the toronto sun, refuse to talk to bob mccown, refuse to talk to steve simmons, refuse to talk to michael landsberg, make a big production about sleeping overnight on a toronto street under the guise you want to bring attention to the plight of homeless people, visit the mayor and try to talk him into going to the pride parade, give the toronto star the silent treatment because some rookie reporter included a habs fan's quote about the leafs having a plane accident, challenge another team's gm to a fight, challenge another team's gm to a fight in a barn, place hot dog stands throught the ACC and name them after yourself and put your face on the signage, advocate nhl rules that favour small market teams even though you represent the biggest market in the league, do multiple interviews on george stroumboulopoulos, refuse to talk to ron maclean, get alan strachan fired, go to universities and give speeches about building a winning nhl franchise,

or thats what the last guy did anyway

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
This is intriguing to say the least. I'm a huge Gretzky fan, but I worry that this would be a bad move for him given how much of a disaster MLSE is.

I don't think Gretzky would take this job unless he was given 100% autonomy, and I just don't see the egos on the Board giving that to him.

I could be wrong though, and it would be pretty awesome if it was Gretzky that led the organization to their first Cup since 67.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Sounds like MLSE is out looking for some cheap and meaningless prestige with a hire like this. Unless Gretzky could go to bat for the Leafs when we're hunting UFAs, it seems less than useful.

I think you on to something. Gretzky could help the leafs in attracting UFA's. Sign here and you get to hang out with 99 after games.:laugh:

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
In leaf land every summer is the most important free agency,

reality is it's nothing special with Getzlaf staying put and Perry probably doing the same. I'm not even expecting a big splash in TOR, 2014 looks better.

this is true, but I can't remember the last time a 27 year old, 6'4", Stanley Cup winning, legit frontline center was slated to become a free agent.

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
The President of hockey operations usually has the responsibility to create the vision for the team, and hire the GM who will take them there.

I would think WG would have very good judgement, given the excellent people he has come across in his career. He'd also be smart enough not to interfere with the GM and his staff nor let mgmt meddle and micro manage. He'd make sure the organization maintains a level of class and order, and strive for excellence. He'd want his legacy intact.

I've certainly heard of crazier ideas.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
"no proof formal talks have even taken place" - per Kipper, in regards to Gretzky

That said, the fact that we're even hearing about a potential sale just a few months after the two egos took over is hilarious.

They wouldn't be selling to Gretzky, they would be hiring him to do the same job Dryden once did.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/293886428855824384

Darren Dreger‏

@DarrenDreger

Gretzky will always have clout and it makes sense the Leafs would be interested, however, via text 99 says there have been no discussions.

5:02 PM - 22 Jan 13

http://twitter.com/MattBarnaby3636/status/293889717106262016

Matthew Barnaby‏

@MattBarnaby3636

As 1st reported by @DarrenDreger and also confirmed to me as well by Gretzky, nothing with Leafs "not true, very happy in LA".

5:15 PM - 22 Jan 13

Leafs12232

Feb 23, 2012
I think he would be most useful appearing in and presenting those DVDs (by now probably 3D Blu Rays) to mid-to-high level free agents that has become common place.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Personally, I would prefer to see someone like Scotty Bowman become President. He almost took the job once but was blocked by Peddie

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
you know the usual: gay parades, kiss soldier butt, try to get don cherry fired, try to get dave feschuk fired, refuse to talk to the toronto sun, refuse to talk to bob mccown, refuse to talk to steve simmons, refuse to talk to michael landsberg, make a big production about sleeping overnight on a toronto street under the guise you want to bring attention to the plight of homeless people, visit the mayor and try to talk him into going to the pride parade, give the toronto star the silent treatment because some rookie reporter included a habs fan's quote about the leafs having a plane accident, challenge another team's gm to a fight, challenge another team's gm to a fight in a barn, place hot dog stands throught the ACC and name them after yourself and put your face on the signage, advocate nhl rules that favour small market teams even though you represent the biggest market in the league, do multiple interviews on george stroumboulopoulos, refuse to talk to ron maclean, get alan strachan fired, go to universities and give speeches about building a winning nhl franchise,

or thats what the last guy did anyway

:handclap::laugh:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=414237

Is Wayne Gretzky going to be the next president of the Toronto Maple Leafs?

McKenzie - The rumour is constantly out there and it floats every so often. What I can tell is that there has been absolutely no official contact between Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment and Wayne Gretzky or his representatives, none whatsoever. After the Bell and Rogers consortium took over MLSE in August, Gretzky's name may have come up internally in informal discussions as a potential president or goodwill ambassador. There may have been some third party that informally relayed that to Gretzky and his group, but at the end of the day, no formal contact has been made over the last couple of months. Having said all that, this is one job in hockey that Gretzky would seriously consider taking himself out of semi-retirement to accept.

Dreger - This rumour surfaced a couple weeks ago when Brian Burke was relieved of his duties and via text at that time, Gretzky said he has never received word or talked to the Toronto Maple Leafs. That was then and this is now, but that was a very direct statement.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Sounds like it's time to lock her up. Rumor has been busted by a few official sources, as recently as today.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ecoming-maple-leafs-president/article7647907/

Wayne Gretzky was linked to the vacant presidency of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday, which created a social-media firestorm before the rumour was shot down by MLSE president Tom Anselmi.

A source with ties to MLSE suggested at least some of the company’s board of directors thought about Gretzky as a potential replacement for general manager Brian Burke, who was fired two weeks ago.

Such talk was later dismissed by Anselmi, as well as two sources close to the MLSE board.

There is “no truth to it, whatsoever,†Anselmi said.

“I never heard this in my life,†one source added. “I do not believe there is anything to this story.â€

A second source said even though Gretzky does have experience running the hockey operations of the Phoenix Coyotes, the MLSE board chose David Nonis as Burke’s replacement.

Gretzky could not be reached for comment.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Sounds like MLSE is out looking for some cheap and meaningless prestige with a hire like this. Unless Gretzky could go to bat for the Leafs when we're hunting UFAs, it seems less than useful.

I agree to an extent, but at the same time, it's pretty hard to argue against bringing Wayne ****in' Gretzky into the organization.

Apr 1, 2010
Why?

Why does he do this?

HE is still owed million from PHX. AND is having nothing to do with the nHL until the NHL owned team pays him hi millions. Why give tham a face to sell the game, when they have been so ****** to him?

You could print 3 million pictures of Gretzky finally being in a LEafs Jersey. At $15 a pop $500 with Auto graph. That should more than cover his salary while with the team.

But why would he do the League a favour? He made this league into what it is. This league owes him. Figuratively and literally.

And then I need to question his qualifications as a NHL Team President. What has he done other than the 2002 Canadian Olympic team to warrant even a sniff at the job of PResident of the flagship of hte NHL?

I hope Gretz comes out tomorrow and says, there is no truth to the rumors. That he would be flattered to be asked but "At this time" it is not in his plans.

Maybe after he gets paid, he joines the franchise and learns the ropes for a few years.

Maybe...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad