Speculation: Wayne Gretzky interested in becoming Leafs President?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's already been said but the media would love this, after cutting Burke into pieces just weeks ago and telling us that someone involved with management cannot be the face of the franchise. What exactly would Wayne be? the greatest player ever would be exactly that, the face of this team no matter who comes to this team. You know for a fact that the media in this town would eat this up and gush over it. Extremely hypocritical. Not that I would be against it, I wouldn't mind having Wayne involved here in some capacity, he'd be a great guy to have to bring in potential free agents. How could a Getzlaf or Perry not at least listen to the great one? Nonetheless, Gretzky won't do a thing until the money owed to him from the Coyotes is settled.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Toronto media just spent the last 2 weeks telling us how it was bad for the team that a member of management was the face of the franchise and not a player. Now they're advocating hiring the greatest (former) hockey player ever to run the show.

I thought the same thing.

I don't think this would hurt the organization, but it's a little cheesy.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

they own the team ...they flat out didnt like burke .....get over it ....its not hypocritical i think its just showing how big bussiness is run ....im thinking burke didnt say the right things when asked how hed handle certain situatons coming up with certain players ,and 2 things come to mind if own a company ,ie the ron wilson golden handshake ,and not promoting dallas eakins ,,,,,to major blunders that id love to hear his response
burke was mediocre ,and only time will tell if he can even get another NHL job ,too many good young hockey minds ,i for one wanted gretzky here years ago ,the results could have been the same ,but with less long tern TEAM USA contracts .....liles ,komiserik ,kessel , even a high paid AHL ER IN CONNOLLY ,,,,,,BURKE WASS FLAT OUT MEDIOCRE

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON

Cheesy? What's cheesy about giving this organization some credibility? Imagine when the Leafs are making a pitch to sign Perry or Getzlaf and Wayne effin' Gretzky is sitting across the table from you. Gives the Leafs a MUCH better chance

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
they own the team ...they flat out didnt like burke .....get over it ....its not hypocritical i think its just showing how big bussiness is run ....im thinking burke didnt say the right things when asked how hed handle certain situatons coming up with certain players ,and 2 things come to mind if own a company ,ie the ron wilson golden handshake ,and not promoting dallas eakins ,,,,,to major blunders that id love to hear his response
burke was mediocre ,and only time will tell if he can even get another NHL job ,too many good young hockey minds ,i for one wanted gretzky here years ago ,the results could have been the same ,but with less long tern TEAM USA contracts .....liles ,komiserik ,kessel , even a high paid AHL ER IN CONNOLLY ,,,,,,BURKE WASS FLAT OUT MEDIOCRE

...huh?

Cheesy? What's cheesy about giving this organization some credibility? Imagine when the Leafs are making a pitch to sign Perry or Getzlaf and Wayne effin' Gretzky is sitting across the table from you. Gives the Leafs a MUCH better chance

I do agree with you on that front. However, I'd rather rely on 'free agent draw' coming from an impressive and surging hockey team, not an executive.

But whatever helps, I guess!

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax

you sir.

:headache::headache:

MapleLeafGardens*

It's a joke talking about "giving this organization some credibility" because how long have the Toronto Maple Leafs been in business? lol

And Gretzky would be a fool to take the job in Toronto he could get the same gig with any NHL team how long would it be until the Toronto media started riping him a new one that won't be very pretty for the great one.

No to a Gretzky circus.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Gretzky has prestigious connection's throughout the nhl that could be useful for the leafs in the future. Also mlse is trying to escape that big bad corporate image behind the leafs and put a likable face behind it. I think it's a great idea. Btw Gretzky failed to attract the last 2 ufa's presumably in Nash to Raptors and Schultz to Leafs.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's a joke talking about "giving this organization some credibility" because how long have the Toronto Maple Leafs been in business? lol

And Gretzky would be a fool to take the job in Toronto he could get the same gig with any NHL team how long would it be until the Toronto media started riping him a new one that won't be very pretty for the great one.

No to a Gretzky circus.

what?

Leafs are currently the joke of the NHL. when was the last time this organization signed a big-name UFA

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
you know the usual: gay parades, kiss soldier butt, try to get don cherry fired, try to get dave feschuk fired, refuse to talk to the toronto sun, refuse to talk to bob mccown, refuse to talk to steve simmons, refuse to talk to michael landsberg, make a big production about sleeping overnight on a toronto street under the guise you want to bring attention to the plight of homeless people, visit the mayor and try to talk him into going to the pride parade, give the toronto star the silent treatment because some rookie reporter included a habs fan's quote about the leafs having a plane accident, challenge another team's gm to a fight, challenge another team's gm to a fight in a barn, place hot dog stands throught the ACC and name them after yourself and put your face on the signage, advocate nhl rules that favour small market teams even though you represent the biggest market in the league, do multiple interviews on george stroumboulopoulos, refuse to talk to ron maclean, get alan strachan fired, go to universities and give speeches about building a winning nhl franchise,

or thats what the last guy did anyway

Love it......sadly it is true. Give your friend a contract extension when he should have been fired. Telling everyone that you love a tough team and then proceed to bring in Charmen's.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Tried? It was pretty much a done deal. But when Cliff brought it to Starvos and the board for approval, they all rejected the signing saying that he wouldn't put anymore butts in the seats.

Yup. I'm still bitter about that one.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Kind of wish now this position opened up earlier so the Leafs could have contacted John Davidson.

As for Gretzky -- no arguments from one of his biggest fans about bringing him in.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Is Gretzky no longer associated with Phoenix? Not been paying much attention to him for awhile...

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Sounds like this was leaked on purpose by MLSE (how convenient that both Bell/TSN and Rogers/Sportsnet own MLSE) so that they could gauge Gretzky's interest in becoming President. If he says he's interested, they'll get him because they really do want him in that role. If he says thanks, he's flattered but that he's not interested, the board will say that yes, his name was brought up in internal discussions months ago but so were many others and it never got to the point where they seriously considered him for the job.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Sounds like this was leaked on purpose by MLSE (how convenient that both Bell/TSN and Rogers/Sportsnet own MLSE) so that they could gauge Gretzky's interest in becoming President.

I'm pretty sure they have phones and e-mail and such, and would just call him or his representatives and ask him. Leaking to the media makes no sense at all.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Gretzky has prestigious connection's throughout the nhl that could be useful for the leafs in the future. Also mlse is trying to escape that big bad corporate image behind the leafs and put a likable face behind it. I think it's a great idea. Btw Gretzky failed to attract the last 2 ufa's presumably in Nash to Raptors and Schultz to Leafs.

Huh? Wasn't Gretzky involved in bringing Schultz to Edmonton?

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Great One's

Home is up for sale in Thousand Oaks California for 14.9, Paulina named new Team Therapist. It must be true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad