GDT: Washington vs. Car

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Boys have played several emotional games in the past few weeks.
Can't be at your best every single game in the NHL.
They'll be sharper on Thursday @ home.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I have to say I didn't see an unbeatable caps team. Do they have more firepower, definitely... but we mostly kept them to the outside and that third goal was a bit of an odd bounce. Guys like ovechkin can still score from the outside, we don't really have anyone like that. Not the canes' best night but I don't think it's impossible for the canes to beat this team 4/7 times

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I have to say I didn't see an unbeatable caps team. Do they have more firepower, definitely... but we mostly kept them to the outside and that third goal was a bit of an odd bounce. Guys like ovechkin can still score from the outside, we don't really have anyone like that. Not the canes' best night but I don't think it's impossible for the canes to beat this team 4/7 times

That third goal wasn't an odd bounce, it was Aho failing to play center and all three Canes forwards on the wrong side of the ice. Mental error.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Passing was really bad tonight. I didn’t see the 3rd goal the same way as @Navin R Slavin did. We were trying to transition into O in neutral zone. The pass out of the D zone was off, it went to the Capitals, they got the zone and scored. That is just one example of many bad passes.

We still lack enough offensive talent and the knowledge of the effort level needed every night. The effort level tonight was of a team that had already clinched a spot or well out of a spot. Ferland isn’t the answer for our offensive needs.

The effort & decision making after Mrazek was pulled was laughable. Ferland has the puck with some pressure and scoots the puck out to neutral zone like its just another play. Cant give up possession there.

Aho must be hurt from that knee on knee hit from a couple of games ago. The jump isn’t there.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Hamilton scores his 15th of the season in 4-1 loss

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
You can probably count on one hand - maybe even just a few fingers - the number of games in 2019 in which the Hurricanes haven't generated enough offense to be successful.
Tuesday was one of those nights.
"We were kind of chasing the puck tonight. They're a good team. They don't give the puck away. They have a lot of good players who hold onto the puck and make plays," Hamilton said. "We had some looks, but we just kind of chased it around."
"They were good, and we were not. You put those two together, and we really had no chance in that game. It sort of felt like the whole way that we never got to our game. I give them credit. They played a tight-checking game and took advantage of their opportunities when we took a breath in the D-zone," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "We don't have a chance to play against those teams if we play like that. That's just not going to get it done."
And, considering some recent third period and late-game heroics, there are worse positions in which to be.
"I thought they played better than us," Justin Williams said. "We just didn't have it tonight."
"We talked about how good we've been in the third being in those positions," Hamilton said. "We were fine with it, but we didn't show up, really."
Recap: Canes Fall to Capitals

Reactions: Tryamw

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I rewatched that third goal and I was way off base. I remembered the point shot going past the net and bouncing off the wall straight to Carlson who buried it. Not sure how that got into my brain as it's totally not what happened at all. Thats what I get for trying to do work and watch hockey at the same time

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Remaining games for the teams in the hunt. Penguins, CBJ and Isles have easiest path, f*** it. Both Canes and CBJ have game in hand on the others.

Penguins: Preds [home], Canes [home], Reds Wings (away), Red Wings [home], Rags [home]
CBJ: Habs [home], Preds (away), Sabrse (away), Bruins [home], Rags (away), Senators (away)
Isles: Jets (away), Sabres [home], Toronto [home], Panthers (away), Crapitals (away)

Our schedule is not good but Crapitals/Habs have some nightmarish games.

Crapitals: Canes (away), Tampa (away), Florida (away), Habs [home], Isles [home]
Habs: CBJ (away), Jets (away), Tampa [home], Craps (away), Toronto [home]
Canes: Craps [home], Flyers [home], Pens (away), Toronto (away), Devils [home], Flyers (away)

I don't think anything is decided. Even the first place in the division though Penguins could finish with 5 wins the season. My final prediction: Pens win the division, Craps finish second, Isles third, Canes WC 1, CBJ WC2.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Pens are in and with their schedule aren’t slipping past 3rd

It’s between us and Montreal for the last slot. CBJ should get in as they have 3 games against teams who have already mailed it in.

The difference in us and Montreal, we have one mail it in game and hopefully Philly is in the ‘whatever’ mode come those two games.

Until our magic number is 0, I am less than confident we are in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Not to harass my NC neighbors. Its not the firepower. You weren't looking at the right stuff. A well played Capitals game suffocates the opposition. Its about the defense. Not the firepower. Usually, it looks a lot like that. Just saying.

Carry on

Reactions: Tryamw

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Not to harass my NC neighbors. Its not the firepower. You weren't looking at the right stuff. A well played Capitals game suffocates the opposition. Its about the defense. Not the firepower. Usually, it looks a lot like that. Just saying.

Carry on

I was impressed by how boring they can make a game. Its exactly how you beat a team like Carolina that doesn't have the skill to break through it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That third goal wasn't an odd bounce, it was Aho failing to play center and all three Canes forwards on the wrong side of the ice. Mental error.

While I heard Jeremy Roenick's explanation as well as viewing his "tele-stration", my take is that 3rd goal was on Slavin. He was in position, but then chased a Capital almost all the way to the opposite slot. He and Dougie almost ran into each other as Carlson came free to bang in the slap pass. Now Carlson may have been one of the forward's responsibility, but had Slavin not chased, he would have been in position to defend that pass/shot.

Passing was really bad tonight. I didn’t see the 3rd goal the same way as @Navin R Slavin did. We were trying to transition into O in neutral zone. The pass out of the D zone was off, it went to the Capitals, they got the zone and scored. That is just one example of many bad passes.

I agree on the passing and would add, that we were "messy" all throughout the game. We missed passes, didn't receive passes, got trapped against the boards, and missed some high quality chances. It didn't appear that there was a lack of effort, they were just sloppy and "off".

Part of that was because Washington took away time and space whenever they got the chance. Once the 3rd period started, the Caps just worked their system diligently, didn't make errors, and counted on us to be overly aggressive, making mistakes, often with positioning in our own zone. At least, that was my take. We played a pretty good 45 minutes and a shitty 15 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad