GDT: Washington vs. Car

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm more than willing to give the other side credit, and Washington did play a suffocating game, but the Canes' inability to string together even 2 shifts in the Caps' zone goes beyond how well the other side played. They didn't bring their best effort last night.

If their response in similar situations this season is any indication, they will on Thursday.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was impressed by how boring they can make a game. Its exactly how you beat a team like Carolina that doesn't have the skill to break through it.

The Caps recipe is pretty much to trap and clog up the neutral zone like some hideous NJ Devils team, forecheck and use their size advantage any way they can from hitting to cycling to just fighting in the corners and then get you when you run out of gas in the 3rd. That is exactly why the Lightning lost 4-0, 3-0 in the games 6 and 7 last playoffs. That above strategy as it plays out in 7 games. Tampa just didn't have anything left.

Carolina wins by being patient and striking when the opportunity arises. Tomorrow after adjustments and video meetings will make for an interesting game.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Carolina wins by being patient and striking when the opportunity arises. Tomorrow after adjustments and video meetings will make for an interesting game.

Not just that, but last line change will make for a different game, as well. I feel that the Caps having last change helped them smother us last night. At least, that's the theory.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The Caps recipe is pretty much to trap and clog up the neutral zone like some hideous NJ Devils team, forecheck and use their size advantage any way they can from hitting to cycling to just fighting in the corners and then get you when you run out of gas in the 3rd. That is exactly why the Lightning lost 4-0, 3-0 in the games 6 and 7 last playoffs. That above strategy as it plays out in 7 games. Tampa just didn't have anything left.

Oddly enough this is actually what I noticed from Carolina from my seat at the game. Tons of presence in the neutral zone, and very few open passing lanes. Both teams seemed to struggle with gaining and maintaining zone entry. From my seats I actually felt like Carolina was really in the game until the third period. I would not be surprised if tonight is a one goal difference either way.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Oddly enough this is actually what I noticed from Carolina from my seat at the game. Tons of presence in the neutral zone, and very few open passing lanes. Both teams seemed to struggle with gaining and maintaining zone entry. From my seats I actually felt like Carolina was really in the game until the third period. I would not be surprised if tonight is a one goal difference either way.

While it would probably send this board into a meltdown, I could stomach a loss if they play their asses off. I think that's all anyone is asking for. We didn't get that on Tuesday although I thought there were parts where they looked good. I want to see 3 periods of the effort we brought for 2 vs TBL. Bring that level of compete and we have as good a chance as any team to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad