Prospect Info: Washington Capitals Development Camp July 8-13, 2013

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't think you can judge how NHL ready a player is from a prospects camp. Unless Schmidt really worked on his game over the offseason, he most likely isn't ready. He had a tough time in Hershey at the end of last year

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Sorry we won't read your observations, Marshall.

As for today's scrimmage, I couldn't make it either. Based on updates on twitter from @thepeerless & @ChrisG7000 Team Red made some line changes for today's scrimmage. They both provided some updates & observations today if people are interested see their twitter accounts.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Semi-related. Does anyone know if there's to be a Flyers-Caps rookie game this year? Will it be in Kettler/DC since last year's was skipped?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Semi-related. Does anyone know if there's to be a Flyers-Caps rookie game this year? Will it be in Kettler/DC since last year's was skipped?

In past years that news has been reported first via the Flyers or a Philly news outlet. I haven't seen anything yet. Last year was skipped, yes, previous year (2011) was in Philly.

Here's what I've seen about September prospect tourneys, note, Phil. not listed so a possibility.

September Prospect Tournaments:

Young Stars Classic in Penticton, BC: September 5-9
Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, San Jose Sharks, Winnipeg Jets

Traverse City Prospect Tournament in MI: September 5-9
Detroit Red Wings, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, NY Rangers, St. Louis Blues

Toronto Maple Leafs hosting in London, Ontario, September 5-8
Toronto Maple Leafs, Chicago Blackhawks, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins

Oh and here's some coverage of the Flyers' camp day on the beach. Heh, some writers playing volleyball, now that would be entertaining, 'what did you write about me', spike!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@Drew_on_WMU: #WMUHockey has released Garrett Haar from the program.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=208670260
"Garrett has not lived up to his commitment to his academics and his Bronco hockey teammates and we have decided to part ways with him," explained Murray.

@HaarDaddy4: Have decided to leave Western Michigan and go play in the WHL. Medicine Hat tigers seems to be my destination but still not sure. #fresh

@HaarDaddy4: I did not get kicked off Western Michigan , this was my decision #layoff

Haha.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
and my research as to his WHL rights the other week becomes relevant ...now to find where I posted the Moose Jaw drafted; appears to be on Medicine Hat's reserve list as of last October info.

Also, note, he counts as an overager in the WHL if he does play in the WHL this season as he's a '93.

Also, Lewington is a dman for Medicine Hat.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Here are the links:

drafted by Moose Jaw

http://www.whl.ca/article/2008-whl-bantam-draft-selections/76037

apparently rights traded at some point to Medicine Hat: http://whlforum.com/thread/55?page=1

I tried to find out if this was still accurate about Medicine Hat holding onto his rights, but the person I asked didn't know and I didn't follow-up any further. Anyway, I'm guessing it's accurate especially considering he mentions MH in one of the tweets today.

[update: rmnb's fedfed from here, has the updated link to a July 4th posting of Medicine Hat's list, no surprise Haar is on it; consistent with the rest of the info. here. I didn't go back out on the site to see Western Hockey Scout had posted the update on the 4th after I researched this originally when Haar's acad. elig. issue came up. http://whlforum.com/thread/533/medicine-protected-list-july-2013]

Oh and there's this:

David Drew ‏@Drew_on_WMU
#WMUHockey coach Andy Murray said he met with Haar more in last 2 years than any other player in his coaching career.

updated post:

one more source listing him as on Medicine Hat list last summer.

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/2012/07/2012-13-prospects-medicine-hat.html

More info. from the WHL site:

4. How does a player know when he has been listed or has been released from a list?
"WHL teams notify the player when he is listed and when he is removed from a list."

Of course, even if he’s on the MH list there’s the overage issue and the overage limits as of a certain date. Tigers have a few possible returning overagers (including Caps Dev Camp FA invite Boston Leier.) Could trade or release one or more if they have too many and if they own Haar add him to the list. Here’s a fan blog including some overager info. from April 16 if you search/scross down in this blog.

http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/

Info. on CHL overagers if anyone is interested from WHL site:

"How many 20 year olds can a team use?

WHL teams are allowed a maximum of three overage players. Teams having more than three overage players to start the season may continue to rotate them in and out of the lineup until October 16th at which time they must select determine the three that they will keep. Other 20-year-olds become free agents for the other teams in the League. From October 16th until February 10th, teams may bring in an overage player, but, if they have three already, then they have to release one. February 10 of each year is the roster deadline and all players who are with a team on that date are there for the duration of the season."

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
@Drew_on_WMU: #WMUHockey has released Garrett Haar from the program.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=208670260

@HaarDaddy4: Have decided to leave Western Michigan and go play in the WHL. Medicine Hat tigers seems to be my destination but still not sure. #fresh

@HaarDaddy4: I did not get kicked off Western Michigan , this was my decision #layoff

Haha.

Sounds like academics were a tough go for Haar. I'm sure I would have tanked if I had gone right after HS. Plus not able to play the first semester that is a lot of games to miss.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
How's Dalton Young looking?

I didn't reply because I had limited observations in the first 2 scrimmages and didn't see today's: He's been paired with Patrick Wey as a D pair on Team White. In the first two scrimmages, from my perspective, there were stretches where Team White spent a lot of time in Team Red's d zone. The 4 D pairings were taking regular shifts and I didn't notice anything in particular with that pair, not a bad thing when talking about D, but also I wasn't looking for them (I've seen Wey a bit and he's under contract.) White had a bunch of goals and it's possible he contributed on a goal I missed; as I said nothing stood out, but he's a D. As usual, a lot of players and in this case, I haven't seen as much of camp as I usually do.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Mike Vogel’s recap of scrimmage 3 on Friday

Peerless' recap of the same scrimmage.

Peerless' recap of day 2 of camp

Peerless' recap of day 1 of camp

My photos from the week when I’ve been able to make it out to Kettler. Hopefully, I will add a few photos tomorrow. Link

See the Washcaps website for video interviews and highlights from the week, including the Schmidt helmet cam posted earlier.

As of now, Caps say this is where you can find Saturday’s scrimmage online at 10am. link

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/caps-fan-fest-live

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Waking up to hockey in Victoria eh

I expect a few fights today. Many recent caps got jobs by doing that and its hockey. They may well have been told not to fight though. Short of scoring goals or breaking up 2 on 1s, its hard for me to notice diamonds in the rough. But guys strong on the puck or that hit are easy for us amateur scouts to see.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think you can judge how NHL ready a player is from a prospects camp. Unless Schmidt really worked on his game over the offseason, he most likely isn't ready. He had a tough time in Hershey at the end of last year

did you read the Washington post article on Schmidt? he said he struggled with the system which most players new to it do. specifically he said he was trained to stand in front of the net(when the weak side defenseman) and that it took him a good 10 games to learn his reads in oates more aggressive system.

so...the system can be fairly blamed for his struggles.

meanwhile Katie seemed to be saying that Schmidt is first trying to make sure he has a spot at Hershey. it doesn't sound like the caps are giving him much nhl consideration beyond an injury callup for 13-14.

but he is also 22 years old compared to much younger players at this camp. I can certainly see where Schmidt would appear much more polished than the kids.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Koken talking up Carrick's leadership qualities.

It's so freaking awesome to see this. I didn't realize how much I missed watching hockey.

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
Some notes from today. I was only able to stay for the first 2 periods

Burakovsky - Great skater with a good shot/release and better then expected defensively. He did look a bit lost at times and hes not very strong on the puck. Given some time to bulk up and refine his game I think he could be a real threat on the ice.

Sanford - I felt like he looked disinterested in game. Didn't see much hustle.

Bowey - Good skater. He needs to work on positioning but I think he will be a solid player.

Christian Hilbrich: this guy is HUGE

Goaltending - Pretty bad, honestly. Anderson may be the worst puck handler I've seen in awhile

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad