Prospect Info: Washington Capitals Development Camp July 8-13, 2013

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Players that stood out to me:

Legault #13 Red - Took a diagonal cross ice pass from blue line to blue line, one touched the puck by the defensemen, blew around him, then deked out Kostenko for a goal in the first

Boyd #53 Red - Thought he was the Red teams best player in periods 1 and 2. Was in good position defensively. Made some good passes in the offensive zone.

Foster #3 White - Creative with the puck on his stick. Made a couple of plays in the offensive zone where he would hold on to the puck for a few seconds then dish it off to another players.

Overall, it was a pretty sloppy game. The intensity picked up in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period. Tom Wilson assisted on Burakovsky's goal on a 2 on 1. The 2 on 1 was created by a white team defensemen jumping up to hit a forward at his offensive blue line.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
did you read the Washington post article on Schmidt? he said he struggled with the system which most players new to it do. specifically he said he was trained to stand in front of the net(when the weak side defenseman) and that it took him a good 10 games to learn his reads in oates more aggressive system.

so...the system can be fairly blamed for his struggles.

meanwhile Katie seemed to be saying that Schmidt is first trying to make sure he has a spot at Hershey. it doesn't sound like the caps are giving him much nhl consideration beyond an injury callup for 13-14.

but he is also 22 years old compared to much younger players at this camp. I can certainly see where Schmidt would appear much more polished than the kids.
It can be but I thought his best games were his first 4-5. I don't know if it was the intensity of the first round series against the top team that got to him but he struggled in the playoffs and was a turnover machine. I did like his game though offensively. It's his own end that needs the most work.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
my main career was commercial radio for 25 years. I worked on the air most of that time. at a new radio station my first few days were stressful getting used to the new format and equipment. I rarely made mistakes. after about the 3rd day I would relax things would start coming to me naturally and that is when the mistakes happened. it was completely natural and I struggled for the next week or two. then it smoothed out.

sounds like what happened with schmidt

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Do you think Wilson will be in the Caps lineup next season?

I think he has a chance, but he has to have a great camp. He's going to have to outplay a few guys on that 3rd-4th line to do it.

But I think they might feel his development would be improved by being in the NHL as opposed to going back to Junior.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think he has a chance, but he has to have a great camp. He's going to have to outplay a few guys on that 3rd-4th line to do it.

But I think they might feel his development would be improved by being in the NHL as opposed to going back to Junior.

Wow, I hope not. Let him go dominate in junior playing top-line minutes and build his skills. I don't see the value in having him replace Hendy for 7 minutes a game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Up to 9 games with Washington to start the season, then back to Plymouth for the bulk of the year. Finish the year with Hershey in the playoffs after his OHL season ends.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Up to 9 games with Washington to start the season, then back to Plymouth for the bulk of the year. Finish the year with Hershey in the playoffs after his OHL season ends.

Yeah, that's reasonable.

Wilson -> OHL, Latta -> roster

While they can start with Chimera-Beagle-Wilson on the 4th line, Latta will have enough time to adjust to Oates system and practice with the team. Then take off.

Anyway after Kuz will come there will be hardly place for Wilson barring injuries. Volpatti and Mitchell should cover it anyway.

Probably 9 games here will give Wilson some money. Also a factor (bonus from GMGM).

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

theres no point in him playing 9 games if you dont think he can make the team. it should be up to 9 games and we'll see how he plays.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
theres no point in him playing 9 games if you dont think he can make the team. it should be up to 9 games and we'll see how he plays.

Sure there is. It lets him get a better taste of what the big leagues are like. Shows him how and where he needs to improve him game. It's more about his development than anything else.

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA

It's really unfortunate that Wilson can't got to the AHL for the season. He could get the top line and PP situations needed to continue developing on offense, while playing against opponents who are not overwhelmed by his physical abilities.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Sure there is. It lets him get a better taste of what the big leagues are like. Shows him how and where he needs to improve him game. It's more about his development than anything else.

i believe everytime a team does a 9 game trial its because they believe the player might be good enough for the team, no team is going to risk losing so some rookie who doesnt belong can get some experiance.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
i believe everytime a team does a 9 game trial its because they believe the player might be good enough for the team, no team is going to risk losing so some rookie who doesnt belong can get some experiance.

Agreed. Wilson needs to earn each of those 9 games by having a very strong camp and preseason and then playing well enough in each game to get another. Putting the best lineup on the ice to win games is much more important than giving Wilson another taste of the NHL before sending him back down. If he doesn't earn a stay then I am perfectly fine sending him down before the regular season even starts.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

I believe you're completely wrong. Plenty of teams just want to give the prospect a taste before sending him back, to get more relevant evaluation against NHLers and help the prospect figure out what parts of his game he needs to work on.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Agreed. Wilson needs to earn each of those 9 games by having a very strong camp and preseason and then playing well enough in each game to get another. Putting the best lineup on the ice to win games is much more important than giving Wilson another taste of the NHL before sending him back down. If he doesn't earn a stay then I am perfectly fine sending him down before the regular season even starts.

Don't get me wrong. If he looks clearly not ready in camp (something I don't anticipate happening), don't keep him up. If he scored 5 goals during that 9 game stint, keep him up for the rest of the season. But if it doesn't end up in other of those ends of the spectrum, send him to Plymouth after a brief taste of the NHL.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Not sure where to stick this, but as a few of us have discussed via email and elsewhere, now confirmation that Nathan Walker will be attending Caps rookie camp in September. source Guessing we can add Blake Gal to that list, too.

Forwards
Nathan Walker, Youngstown/USHL
Blake Gal, Spokane/WHL (no longer eligible for CHL '92 bdate)

Of the free agents from July development camp, here's the list of players who could possibly also attend, for now under tryout contract with the Caps (not listing Washington, Hershey or Reading known contracts.)

Forwards

Chance Braid, Prince Albert/WHL
TJ Foster, Edmonton/WHL (no longer eligible for CHL '92 bdate)
Zach Harnden, Western/CIS
Justin Larson, Waterloo, /CIS
Stephane Legault, Edmonton/WHL
Boston Leier, Medicine Hat/WHL
Rob Linsmayer, Holy Cross/NCAA (played ECHL pro at end of last season)
Domenic Monardo, Lake Superior/NCAA (played ECHL pro at end of last season)

Defensemen
Matt Petgrave, Oshawa/OHL (no longer eligible for CHL '92 bdate)
Dalton Young, Saginaw/OHL

Goalies
Louis-Philip Guindon, Drummondville/QMJHL

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
heh, Portland, perhaps they traded for his rights since all sources point to Medicine Hat owning his rights. Note, Haar’s an overager and teams are limited to 3 a few weeks after the season start

Garrett Haar ‏@HaarDaddy4

"It’s official I’m going to play for the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL next season #westcoast #stoked"

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
heh, Portland, perhaps they traded for his rights since all sources point to Medicine Hat owning his rights. Note, Haar’s an overager and teams are limited to 3 a few weeks after the season start

Garrett Haar ‏@HaarDaddy4

"It’s official I’m going to play for the Portland Winterhawks in the WHL next season #westcoast #stoked"

yup and unlike Medicine Hat, sounds like Portland doesn't have more than 3 overagers expected to return

"The acquisition of Haar gives the Hawks two of a possible three 20-year-olds for next season, along with forward Shane McColgan, whom the Hawks traded for earlier this month."

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/winterhawks-acquire-rights-to-garrett-haar

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Are Nathan Walker's rights held in the CHL?

Not that I am aware of and he would have had to be drafted via the CHL import draft as I understand the rules. As has been reported, if he doesn't turn pro, for now USHL Youngstown expects him to return for this season.

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
Sorry, it's a bit late, but I didn't know he was an invite to the Caps DCamp. Any thoughts on Hilbrich?

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Yeah, that's reasonable.

Wilson -> OHL, Latta -> roster

While they can start with Chimera-Beagle-Wilson on the 4th line, Latta will have enough time to adjust to Oates system and practice with the team. Then take off.

Anyway after Kuz will come there will be hardly place for Wilson barring injuries. Volpatti and Mitchell should cover it anyway.

Probably 9 games here will give Wilson some money. Also a factor (bonus from GMGM).
Hardly a place for Wilson? hha please

The Caps didn't win the cup last year. This team is full of holes and weaknesses AND ROOM for Wilson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->