Prospect Info: Washington Capitals Development Camp July 8-13, 2013

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
2013 Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 8-13

Washington Capitals 2013 Development Camp Guide

Vogel blog & Caps release about Development Camp

(Part I)

Information on invitees, attendees and the schedule will be updated as it is released

Schedule:

Sunday, July 7 (assume when players scheduled to arrive)

Monday, July 8
9:00 a.m.: Team White on ice (testing)
10:45 a.m.: Team Red on ice (testing)
2:30 p.m.: Team White on ice
4:00 p.m.: Team Red on ice

Tuesday, July 9
9:15 a.m.: Team Red on ice
10:50 a.m.: Team White on ice

Wednesday, July 10
9:00 a.m.: Team Red on ice
10:30 a.m.: Team White on ice
3:45 p.m.: Intrasquad scrimmage

Thursday, July 11
9:00 a.m.: Team White on ice
10:00 a.m.: Team Red on ice
3:00 p.m.: Intrasquad scrimmage

Friday, July 12
11:00 a.m.: Intrasquad scrimmage

Saturday, July 13 source; FanFest/Equipment Sale
10:00 a.m.: Intrasquad scrimmage

Additional Information:

Location: Kettler Capitals IcePlex, Arlington, VA at Ballston Common Mall (link)

The on-ice workouts, which will include multiple scrimmages, are open to the public and media. The off-ice workouts are closed.

Other Notes:

With the rules for NCAA players regarding expenses plus some players attending summer school, and little notice for the recently selected picks, wait to see who the Caps say are scheduled to attend.

link to last year's thread for reference information at this point

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Splitting this into two posts, like last year, this second one for the FA invite information as it becomes available.

2013 Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 8-13

(Part II)

2012 Development Camp Free Agent Invites: (hockeydb or eliteprospects profile if click on name)

List will be updated as more FA invites are known and others are confirmed.

Capitals usually do not identify the Free Agent invites in their press releases about camp...to date, these have been identified via articles, blogs and twitter (all subject to change); wait and see if they announce any FA invites when roster is released:

Forwards

Sam Anas , Youngstown/USHL headed to Quinnipiac/NCAA; local player/prospect
Kyle Baun, Colgate/NCAA
Chance Braid, Prince Albert/WHL
TJ Foster, Edmonton/WHL
Zach Harnden, Western/CIS
Christian Hilbrich, Cornell/NCAA
Nolan LaPorte, Western Michigan/NCAA
Justin Larson, Waterloo, /CIS
Stephane Legault, Edmonton/WHL
Boston Leier, Medicine Hat/WHL
Rob Linsmayer, Holy Cross/NCAA (played Idaho/ECHL pro at end of season)
Conor MacPhee, EJHL/ headed to Providence/NCAA
Domenic Monardo, Lake Superior/NCAA
Cody Murphy, Miami/NCAA
Brandon Tanev, Providence/NCAA

Defensemen
Michal Cajkovsky, Ottawa/OHL
Chris Joyaux, Miami/NCAA
Connor Kucera, Bowling Green/NCAA
Mike Monfredo, Quad City/CHL
Matt Petgrave, Oshawa/OHL
Travis Walsh, Michigan State/NCAA
Dalton Young, Saginaw/OHL

Goalies
Louis-Philip Guindon, Drummondville/QMJHL
Clarke Saunders, UND/NCAA

Guest coach: Yanick Jean, Victoriaville

Thanks to Japers' Rink for the heads up on the guest coach for this summer's dev camp. link to article in French

I know the Caps usually have a guest coach (e.g., Steve Spott/Kitchener; Dave Shyiak/formerly with UAA,) but the open assistant coaching positions in Hershey and likely Washington had me paying extra attention to his resume, etc.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Caps Prospects

Quick review of roster released on 7/3:

- All six 2013 picks are on the roster.
- Four players are signed to NHL contracts: Anderson, Schmidt, Wey, Wilson
- Caps prospects not on the development camp roster: Austin Wuthrich, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Greg Burke, Thomas Di Pauli
Didn't expect Kuznetsov. Plenty of reasons NCAA players don't attend from summer school classes to the cost. Given injury to end his season and his rights expiring, assuming Greg Burke will become an UFA in August. No surprise to see so many forward free agent invites when one realizes there are only 9 Caps forward prospects on the camp roster.

9 Forwards
44 – Riley Barber
53 – Travis Boyd
65 – Andre Burakovsky
72 – Caleb Herbert
80 – Brian Pinho
82 – Zach Sanford
96 – Taylor Stefishen
17 – Chandler Stephenson
43 – Tom Wilson

10 Defensemen
55 – Madison Bowey
58 – Connor Carrick
73 – Christian Djoos (not on updated Caps roster and wasn't see on ice on day 1)
39 – Garrett Haar
60 – Blake Heinrich
51 – Patrick Koudys
77 – Tyler Lewington
28 – Jaynen Rissling
88 – Nate Schmidt
56 – Patrick Wey

2 Goalies
78 – Brandon Anderson
57 – Sergey Kostenko

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Teammate of new draft pick Lewington invited to camp. Source is twitter- MH local accounts including team and a reporter

Boston Leier, F, Medicine Hat/WHL

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Sam Anas F Youngstown/USHL headed to Quinnipiac; local player/prospect

also:
Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove: As per @TC_wolfpack, PA Raiders F Chance Braid has been invited to Washington Capitals development camp.

Chance Braid, F, Prince Albert/WHL

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Dalton Young, D from Saginaw/OHL

‏@OHLMurray Via Saginaw Spirit Hockey Club Nathan Glass to attend Montreal camp. Dalton Young Washington Capitals camp. Best wishes guys

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Justin Larson, last year's CIS scoring champion with the University of Waterloo Warriors, will be attending the Caps' dev camp as a free agent invitee. Larson is a 5-year OHL vet and put up 45 points in 28 games last season. Full story: http://www.varsity.uwaterloo.ca/news/2013/7/4/MHOCKEY_0704132142.aspx

Thanks for the info.There was a second former OHLr (teammates at Peterborough) playing CIS hockey I saw on twitter yesterday, too. Here's the story.

Zach Harnden, F, Western/CIS
Justin Larson, F, Wateloo, /CIS

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Nolan LaPorte, F, Western Michigan

source: Haar's twitter

and if this tweet is accurate, two more invites:
‏@tripledekephotoCan't wait to see @MiamiIceHockey's @rileybarber94 @TophStylez5 @MurphDaddy91 at @washcaps development camp.

Chris Joyaux attended Caps camp last July, too.

Chris Joyaux, D, Miami/NCAA
Cody Murphy, F, Miami/NCAA

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
‏@CoreyGraham: Sounds like at least of couple of @EdmOilKings have been invited to development camps. Cody Corbett in Minny and TJ Foster in WSH

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
‏@CoreyGraham: Sounds like at least of couple of @EdmOilKings have been invited to development camps. Cody Corbett in Minny and TJ Foster in WSH

heh, finally back somewhere with internet and was coming on to post that invite, thanks; making the updates now

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
The Journal Express @ JournalExpress 2h
Louis-Philip Guindon leave the camp of # Canadians tonight to get to that of # Capitals Washington. # Voltigeurs # QMJHL # NHL

(translated)

Louis-Philippe Guindon, G, Drummondville/LHJMQ

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Updated the list; also, from his twitter, it sounds like Latta will be around this week; not clear if will be on ice or not, have to wait for the Caps to update the roster/Monday stuff.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Nolan LaPorte, F, Western Michigan

source: Haar's twitter

and if this tweet is accurate, two more invites:
‏@tripledekephotoCan't wait to see @MiamiIceHockey's @rileybarber94 @TophStylez5 @MurphDaddy91 at @washcaps development camp.

Chris Joyaux attended Caps camp last July, too.

Chris Joyaux, D, Miami/NCAA
Cody Murphy, F, Miami/NCAA

Good we need more Redhawks :handclap:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Randy Holt, Fan/C

Will not be in attendance this summer. I didn't think of DCamp when planning my holiday to Vancouver. Oh well, consolation is staying in this awesome city. Off to Stanley Smyl Park.

SK8 and others do your great work as always keeping us in the loop.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Randy Holt, Fan/C

Will not be in attendance this summer. I didn't think of DCamp when planning my holiday to Vancouver. Oh well, consolation is staying in this awesome city. Off to Stanley Smyl Park.

Enjoy your trip!

Not sure how much I will be there this week, but will try to update what I can. Caps will release the rest of the names tomorrow plus some will see them on the ice. Curious to see if Latta participates and who the 4th goalie is for the week, among the typical wanting to see the new picks, etc.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Randy Holt, Fan/C

Enjoy your trip!

Not sure how much I will be there this week, but will try to update what I can. Caps will release the rest of the names tomorrow plus some will see them on the ice. Curious to see if Latta participates and who the 4th goalie is for the week, among the typical wanting to see the new picks, etc.

That sucks as you two had most of the good scoop. Either of you know someone good to look to for info?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Thanks. Yeah, it sucks, I wish it was because I was in Vancouver on vacation like RH; I'll be there at times, hope to make a scrimmage or two, just not sure about my schedule this year.

On Latta and Development Camp:

‏@CapitalsPR

#Caps Michael Latta will skate with Team White today for on-ice testing in the am and will practice in the afternoon. He will only skate Mon

Also, per Japers Rink *and her twitter* Laughlin's daughter Courtney is a guest coach for today, not clear if just for Monday. She's an asst coach for the Potsdam U women's team. link

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
From Peerless on twitter:

Team White… Wey, Monfredo, Foster, Walsh, Henrich, Leier, Barber, Anas, Petgrave, Cajkovsky, Larson, Young, Latta, Carrick, Herbert, Braid, Stefishen, Murphy, Hilbrich and Baun

more free agent invites:
Baun, Cajkovsky - skated with Hershey Bears at end of last season, Hilbrich, Monfredo, Walsh

Kyle Baun, F, Colgate/NCAA
Michal Cajkovsky, D, Ottawa/OHL
Christian Hilbrich, F, Cornell/NCAA
Mike Monfredo, D, Quad City/CHL
Walsh

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Enjoy your trip!

Thanks. The weather is awesome and here on Torrie Robertson St the choices of eats are heavy Asian but the entire area is loaded with tons of options.

My Kettler coverage in prior years has been spotty at best but did try to post some videos mostly for the courtesy of Caps fans afar.

I was excited to hear Latta was in town but it sounds like its just a quick visit. While I was hoping he would be in town this week its good news I suppose that he need not be there. He was the type of guy I would keep an eye on though, among the new ones.

I met a kid from saskatchewan walking in flip flops / typical dcamp garb. He said he's just in town for a few weeks. I bit my tongue asking if he was here for the nucks Dcamp :laugh: I figured, what are the chances.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Thanks. ...

I met a kid from saskatchewan walking in flip flops / typical dcamp garb. He said he just in town for a few weeks. I bit my tongue asking if he was here for the nucks Dcamp :laugh:

heh, could have been given I think the camp started yesterday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->