GDT: WARNING: HORRIFYING ACTS OF VIOLENCE (RD1 G1 @ NYR)

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I’m not a big fan of jumping right to 11/7. It’s not something the Caps have done once all season long and you are still likely going to have one of Carlson, TVR, or MF, eating the brunt of the hard d zone draws and PK.

I don’t have a good answer other than taking 67 out. If the concern over Ivan and Sgarbossa is turnovers/out of position it shouldn’t matter because of how bad 67 was. Upside is speed and effort.

I’m also keep Mac in over AA fwiw. He didn’t look out of place at all. AA bad penalty stopped moving his feet and played the 4th goal breakaway terrible. Should’ve gone forward not backwards.
I'm only suggesting 11f 7d because of 3 separate incidents of losing a d-man in a game, where a penalty on the opponent could have been called. It's becoming too common we end up going down to 5 d-men in a game. You go with 7 d, with one of them acting as a rover forward.

The way it was hanging it wouldn’t surprise me. Could have been a collarbone issue as well.
At this point it doesn't matter what exact injury Iorio has. His availability is done for the series and frankly they weren't giving him enough mins because they were so worried about him making too many mistakes.

I say if Jensen/Sandin can both play, then also keep Mcllrath in the lineup as well. If you don't, then Rempe will take liberties at smaller Caps forwards/d-men.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
well, that was a truly insipid performance

you could argue we have nothing left after just trying to make the playoffs, but after 4 days off? Maybe we throw everything we have at them for game 2, but in a 1v8 it should have been for game 1

what you got Carbs

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
2nd Rangers goal is very much a penalty that was not called. Iorio loses control of the puck along the boards but the Rangers player should have been either called for boarding or interference as they were not playing the puck.

3rd Rangers goal, you could have called Rempe for either interference or elbowing(or both!) Malenstyn Doesn't matter how big a player is, they are responsible for how they use their elbows! I have seen this act before in games where the player acts like they didn't know the opposing player was near their elbow, but has it there in the opposing players face(Kucherov did the same damn thing to Tom Wilson just recently). These type of acts that are penalty worthy are what you can easily get away with in beer league games!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
well, that was a truly insipid performance

you could argue we have nothing left after just trying to make the playoffs, but after 4 days off? Maybe we throw everything we have at them for game 2, but in a 1v8 it should have been for game 1

what you got Carbs
They really needed the 4 days off, even though historically that has been bad for this team over the years. I'm really not happy the NHL schedules back2back games to end the season! That shouldn't happen for any team.

Reactions: Pigskin

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
100% disagree, Beck embellished, there was nothing much in it
may not have mattered as the shot ramped off a stick? play hockey Beck and stop trying to milk a penalty

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Dude calm down and think a little. Even if you get Sandin/Jensen both back, they are not 100% and will be targeted. If one of them goes down in-game again, then the D will get fatigued again. We are not getting offense from 4 lines anyway, so having a 7th d-man and one less forward is not necessarily a bad thing.
Since you appear to have not read my comment, I'll try again:

WHERE are the 7 d-men coming from??

Fever Carlson
Alexeeyev TVR McIlrath

I don't see another 2 d-men if as you say, Sandin and Jensen are injured?? Iorio might not be back either.

And I repeat: Johansen is useless

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
and all we did today was fill the Rags with confidence

they will not have any doubts whatsoever after that game, which is the exact opposite of what we wanted to begin the series

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
may not have mattered as the shot ramped off a stick? play hockey Beck and stop trying to milk a penalty
Dude Malenstyn doesn't embellish. He always plays hard. He had the most direct line to that puck off the faceoff and Rempe stands there but has his elbow a bit outward. Malenstyn is pursing the puck! You could either call interference or elbowing on that play. This is not the NFL with a deflected pass so no pass interference. The shot ramping up the players stick has no relevance.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think he embellished, he took a solid bump in the mush..but I have no issue with that contact to be honest. The contact wasn’t egregious.

Reactions: Corby78

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
and all we did today was fill the Rags with confidence

they will not have any doubts whatsoever after that game, which is the exact opposite of what we wanted to begin the series
You got it all wrong, you can’t plant the seed of doubt too early! We must wait, strike when they let their guard down. This is the way

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, disappointing game from Ovi, Oshie and Dowd. They're the ones that need to set the tone. Kids looked alright. Protas was the best forward. Lapierre looked good. CMM and Strome looked okay too.
I didn't think Strome or especially McMichael showed enough. PP1 was awful. Rough game for all of them more or less. This off-season may need to be a decision point re: McMichael. They've yet to extend him--unlike some others--and may just as well give that role to Lapierre. Is he better than Milano at LW? Hard to say yes for sure. Could definitely see him part of a package for a bigger fish.

They'll reassess and perhaps settle on more functional lines but they don't have a wealth of options. Getting Sandin/Jensen back can facilitate transition and more O zone activation but they were really low energy in this one. Too low to even think they can even play an effective attrition game beyond trying to make the game as choppy, boring and frustrating as possible.

Lapierre and in some respects Alexeyev were positives but they're experienced enough overall but not need any lessons. They'll try dialing it in but fair to wonder how much elevation they have in them. This is a learning experience for the coaching staff I guess but hard to fault them too much with the options they have. This series is more data to make improvements going forward but we'll see to what magnitude.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I liked the game until Rangers scored first and we collapsed for a moment.

No worries we’ll get em next time. Just get first on the scoreboard. Nothing Rangers did made me think we cant beat em on a game. And the again.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Carbs can do a better job of telling the players what the refs will do. Sunday game they will ALWAYS come out with their whistles in their asses blowing em early and often god fearing overtimes. Then predictably back off calling all those weak f***ing calls for the 2nd period. Gotta work the refs for every advantage possible. At minimum get our moneys worth on lame duck calls. Take instigator vs a hold on the boards. Not long ago charges were never called in game 1. Run those f***ing D.

Caps need to hit early and often starting with Willy Ovi and the DMen . Dictate vs playing on our heels reading reacting and chasing. I think I saw Protas log a hit on his first shift but was invisible and can help out Ovi and Willy.

The offense needs to do more than pass the puck to ourselves on the boards.

I think this was a feeling out game of sorts but not if Carbs doesn't adjust in G2.

Dagger to see Whempe score.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Carbs can do a better job of telling the players what the refs will do. Sunday game they will ALWAYS come out with their whistles in their asses blowing em early and often god fearing overtimes. Then predictably back off calling all those weak f***ing calls for the 2nd period. Gotta work the refs for every advantage possible. At minimum get our moneys worth on lame duck calls. Take instigator vs a hold on the boards. Not long ago charges were never called in game 1. Run those f***ing D.

Caps need to hit early and often starting with Willy Ovi and the DMen . Dictate vs playing on our heels reading reacting and chasing. I think I saw Protas log a hit on his first shift but was invisible and can help out Ovi and Willy.

I think this was a feeling out game of sorts but not if Carbs doesn't adjust in G2.

Whimpe won't score again. Mcllrath needs to pound more hits on Whimpe! When Whimpe ran into Mcllrath, Whimpe was a bit surprised like he hit a wall and he backed off like a sissy! Whimpe scoring a goal reminds me a lot of Reaves scoring his only goal in Game 1 of the '18 Cup Final. Keep Mcllrath in lineup, deploy him more strategically and watch Whimpe not have as much of an impact!

Reactions: RandyHolt

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Too many passed up shots hoping for better offensive plays that never were there. Simplify and shoot the puck when there is an open lane and go for rebounds, tips and redirects. If the Caps pump more shots and Shesterkin still comes out on top, then hats off to him for great goaltending! I don't care who the goalie is, you have to make them work for saves and think a little bit more!

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Lulling them into a false sense of security.

Seriously though, there's a reason that this is a 1-8 matchup. So.....Caps need to take any possible shot on net. This team can't get out hit by the Rangers. Hope everyone is over the Game 1 Playoffs jitters. No soft penalties. Hope you can find six bodies for the blueline.

Nothing to lose. Just go get 'em.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I expected us to have trouble in game 1. Lot's of young players with very little playoff experience need time to adjust. Biggest bummer for me was the injury to Iorio.

Our younger players looked very hesitant, afraid of making a mistake. As a result, we didn't generate the offensive chances we needed to win. Once they finally gave up the first goal the mistakes snowballed and the game got away from them. The young guys have to drive the offense if we're going to win any games in this series.

The playoffs require players shift to a higher gear and an ability to play their best when the stakes are higher than they've ever been. It's something they can only learn through experience. Despite the loss, I feel optimistic. I think they learned a lot in this game and will play much better in game 2.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
anyone else think the ice might have been shitty? Noticed both teams overskating pucks, more so the caps but it did happen to both teams a lot. IF it was equally bad for both teams they didnt lose because of it but it sure seemed like lots of overskating the puck or blatant missed passes.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
NYR's are 11-1 on 2nd night of back to back games
1713785376395.png

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Unleash Dylan Mcllarth on Rempe and let Wilson play the series. If the series is lost, Wilson needs to defends his crown against Rempe.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Also, we had to pack light, so I only brought one jersey: my black reverse retro Oshie jersey. Normally, during the playoffs, if things weren't going well at the end of a period, I'd switch jerseys. So I really hope this one ends up being a good-luck jersey.
My bad, everyone. I didn't even think to take the Oshie jersey off until it was 0-3.

The good news is that I did pack the lucky t-shirt I wore during the final two games of the regular season. The bad news is that I washed it before the playoffs. The worse news is that it's a Philles World Series 2022 bootleg tie-dye shirt I bought from a street vendor on South Broad Street. (And clearly it didn't bring the Philles any luck.)

Oh well. Fingers crossed. Whatever works, whatever it takes.

• Haha
Reactions: Calicaps and g00n

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Couple of thoughts:
1. The degree to which our 4th line got outplayed by theirs is troubling - supposed to be a strength for us, and it was anything but yesterday. Dowd seemed invisible, NAK as well. Would probably sub Sgarbossa for NAK, to get a bit more skill there.

2. Ovie-Mikey-Oshie was awful. Carbs has got to tell Mikey to stop thinking he has to defer to Ovie. Mikey played yesterday liked he did under Lavi: as if he was thinking about what he should do next, instead of just f***ing doing it. You can't win at playoff hockey if you're in your head. And the puck shouldn't be passed to Ovie anyway unless he's in a position to shoot or wide open - because he fumbles pucks and can't stickhandle away from coverage.

3. Even though Protas-Strome-Wilson looked decent, probably need to switch Protas for Oshie - cuz Mikey-Ovie need someone who can retrieve pucks and maintain possession.

4. Also troubling that the Rangers think they can push us around. I don't mind Max going after Trocheck after his penalty on Lappy, because he was defending Lappy - who the Rangers were clearly targeting. Think Willy really needs to get hits on their D, especially Trouba and Fox - he should not waste time with Rempe. Also, this was the kind of game that Ovie typically responds to by going and trying to hit the opposition's D-men, but I think he's too slow and too apt to get himself out of position to do that - so Carbs shouldn't encourage it.

5. I do think it will help to have last change when we get home, because there are some matchups that could be more favorable to us that we can't really get in the Garden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad