GDT: WARNING: HORRIFYING ACTS OF VIOLENCE (RD1 G1 @ NYR)

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Something to add. I saw too many times aside from the PP's of the Caps attack in the O-zone passing up shots for a better play. Just shoot the Fricken puck on net. Shesterkin is good, but you aint gonna score goals on him with just 21 shots. Still drive me nuts that we don't shoot from anywhere, when the fact is the Caps struggle to score goals. Sometimes you have to throw analytics out the door and just shoots pucks and go hard to the net! I would rather have a result of only 1 goal scored on 30+ shots than only 1 goal scored on 21 shots!

They didn’t play together in the 3rd at all I don’t think.
The team was fatigued chasing the game too much in the 2nd period. This is what happens when you play not to lose instead of playing to win the game!

Reactions: Calicaps

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Pacioretty doesn’t have to see the ice again in my opinion. What a pathetic game from someone who should’ve been amped up to play. I counted 4-5 offensive zone turnovers and a few were on the PP. Lifeless in the d zone and all speed is gone. Not to mention the penalty.

Put in Sgarbossa or Ivan M you’ll likely get more energy at the very least

Honestly what did we expect down 2 of the top 4. Get those two guys back and I like the chances we have to fight this battle.

Question should Alexyev or Mac stay in? I’m leaving Mac in for the grit and Rempe fight. Can’t afford to lose Willy

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Quick touch passes and get shots through and go for rebounds. It's that simple. The Rangers PK is too quick to try to make pretty plays on the PP.
The Caps are going to need go study the Rangers’ pressure points and rotations to know where the pressure releases are. It will also require practicing those passes. It’s one thing to discuss it between periods and another to execute the passes. I suspect some of those outlets will need to be the bumper.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Pacioretty doesn’t have to see the ice again in my opinion. What a pathetic game from someone who should’ve been amped up to play. I counted 4-5 offensive zone turnovers and a few were on the PP. Lifeless in the d zone and all speed is gone. Not to mention the penalty.

Put in Sgarbossa or Ivan M you’ll likely get more energy at the very least

Honestly what did we expect down 2 of the top 4. Get those two guys back and I like the chances we have to fight this battle.

Question should Alexyev or Mac stay in? I’m leaving Mac in for the grit and Rempe fight. Can’t afford to lose Willy
11 forwards and 7 d-men. Put Miro or Sgarbossa(isn't better at faceoffs than some of the other Caps centers?) in for Patches and with 7 d-men you can have both Mcllrath and Alexeyev. Sandin/Jensen are not gonna be 100%, so you know the Rangers will target those two hard, even on borderline penalty type hits.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
A new experience for the coaches and young players, so hopefully a lot was learned to make them better prepared for Game 2.

I have to say this is so weird and not even mad at the Caps at all for losing today. My expectations was almost zero, so they could possibly go up from this one.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If the other team blocks a lot of shots by going down you have to fake them out of position.

If they mostly just put a bunch of bodies in the slot to block shots from the point, get the puck low and make them turn around.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
In 2018 I had the back porch fawn. In 2024 it's the red fox and her two pups on my property. Maybe something to this.

Reactions: Calicaps

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Except for that entire offensive area. And the defensive breakdowns.

They'll be done in four if this is all the vets have left.

Yeah, disappointing game from Ovi, Oshie and Dowd. They're the ones that need to set the tone. Kids looked alright. Protas was the best forward. Lapierre looked good. CMM and Strome looked okay too.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
11 forwards and 7 d-men. Put Miro or Sgarbossa(isn't better at faceoffs than some of the other Caps centers?) in for Patches and with 7 d-men you can have both Mcllrath and Alexeyev. Sandin/Jensen are not gonna be 100%, so you know the Rangers will target those two hard, even on borderline penalty type hits.
wtf?? where are the 7 d-men you want to play? we can barely dress 5 if Iorio is injured.

Johansen is next to useless. He is about to become a UFA and I wouldn't even be looking to sign him.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If the other team blocks a lot of shots by going down you have to fake them out of position.

If they mostly just put a bunch of bodies in the slot to block shots from the point, get the puck low and make them turn around.
Or if they want to block shots, shoot puck harder into the soft spots of the blocker! Makes 'em think if they really want to block shots.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Unless it’s already been reported, pretty sure I read Iorio’s lips as “it popped”, as he was leaving the ice.

Separated shoulder?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
wtf?? where are the 7 d-men you want to play? we can barely dress 5 if Iorio is injured.

Johansen is next to useless. He is about to become a UFA and I wouldn't even be looking to sign him.
Dude calm down and think a little. Even if you get Sandin/Jensen both back, they are not 100% and will be targeted. If one of them goes down in-game again, then the D will get fatigued again. We are not getting offense from 4 lines anyway, so having a 7th d-man and one less forward is not necessarily a bad thing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
About what I expected. Rangers would come out pumped to play games that actually matter for them in front of their crowd and the Caps would look pretty wide-eyed with all of the youth and playoff inexperience on the team. Some unfortunate breaks/no-calls led to a few goals against.

I honestly might sit TvR if Jensen and Sandin can come back and roll:

Fehervary-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen
Alexeyev-McIlrath

McIlrath hasn’t looked half bad and they could use his physicality this series. TvR doesn’t seem to be adding much to the lineup at the moment.

Reactions: tycoonheart

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
About what I expected. Rangers would come out pumped to play games that actually matter for them in front of their crowd and the Caps would look pretty wide-eyed with all of the youth and playoff inexperience on the team. Some unfortunate breaks/no-calls led to a few goals against.

I honestly might sit TvR if Jensen and Sandin can come back and roll:

Fehervary-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen
Alexeyev-McIlrath

McIlrath hasn’t looked half bad and they could use his physicality this series. TvR doesn’t seem to be adding much to the lineup at the moment.
TVR is a borderline 4 guy, but better suited as a 5/6 guy. Mcllrath is tough and good neutralizer for Rempe bullying other Caps around. It also allows TW to focus on the more important parts of the game and not play dumb try to match Rempe's toughness.

Wasn't this game kind of a mirror image of that 5-1 loss at MSG, but with less shots on goal?

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I’m not a big fan of jumping right to 11/7. It’s not something the Caps have done once all season long and you are still likely going to have one of Carlson, TVR, or MF, eating the brunt of the hard d zone draws and PK.

I don’t have a good answer other than taking 67 out. If the concern over Ivan and Sgarbossa is turnovers/out of position it shouldn’t matter because of how bad 67 was. Upside is speed and effort.

I’m also keep Mac in over AA fwiw. He didn’t look out of place at all. AA bad penalty stopped moving his feet and played the 4th goal breakaway terrible. Should’ve gone forward not backwards.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I just looked again at the Rags first goal. Caps were in mostly good position matching the 3 Rags forwards until they had 3 players caught below the goal line(one player should always be in position in front the goalie(either a d-man or center). You can't have so many players chasing behind that goal line, even when playing a man2man defense. Rangers kept their moving triangle positions with their 3 forwards, while the Caps 3 players broke their triangle position in defending(2 d-men plus the center).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad