Ward out 6-8 weeks, MCL

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Really sorry to hear about Ward for you Caniacs. Just came here to shed some light on an MCL sprain as I recently sprained my right MCL (grade 2, partial tear, not as bad as Ward's). While I'm not a doctor/trainer, I can share my experiences as a goalie and how it may translate. Some of this may be old news/retold info...

The MCL is the ligament on the inside of the knee. When it is torn, it causes major instability when the knee is moved in the direction of the MCL. Basically, your knee can move in 3 directions (forward, backward, outside) fine, but when it moves to the inside, if feels really unstable. "Wonky" is a description I would use...it has a locking in/out of place feeling. Walking is ok, but if you twitch or twist your knee to the inside, it stops you in your tracks, and for me, followed with expletives.

Where it really effects a goalie, as evidenced by Ward's second injury stoppage, is in the butterfly. When you go down in the butterfly, your knees naturally move to the inside, something quite painful if you are down a functioning MCL. T-glides are also tough because although you can push off on the injured leg moving to the left, turning your leg to glide to the right is rough. Kick saves can also be tough since, when the leg is stretched, the knee moves down towards the ice, stressing the MCL.

Rehab will involve balance and mobility exercises to get it back to strengthen the knee and get it to where it was, so you don't constantly favor one leg. Stretching is also important to get the knee back to where it is comfortable moving in all 4 directions.

Hopefully this was informative in someway...wishing Ward a speedy recovery, especially since I have an idea of his pain.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Ellis pulled from the game the only time we started him with the thinking "He will be better than Ward" rather than "Give Ward a break"?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Ellis pulled from the game the only time we started him with the thinking "He will be better than Ward" rather than "Give Ward a break"?

That is correct, although that particular game the team in front of him was putrid and he got pulled on a play that there was miscommunication with Faulk. This miscommunication was that Ellis thought Faulk had his head somewhere other than up his ass.

But your point still stands.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's not exactly right. Muller went with Ellis on Feb 1st against Ottawa even though Ward had 3 days rest and didn't need a break. Ellis responded with a 1-0 shutout making 33 saves. Muller then decided to stay with the hot hand on the 2nd night of a B2B against Philly and that's when he got pulled.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

I think so, but that game was against Philly and our defense played like crap. We also went with Ellis against our most recent game against Tampa (after Cam's Montreal and Winnipeg debacle) and he let in a bunch a goals in the third but didn't get pulled. While not playing great both times, the team in front of him also laid a giant egg.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
That's not exactly right. Muller went with Ellis on Feb 1st against Ottawa even though Ward had 3 days rest and didn't need a break. Ellis responded with a 1-0 shutout making 33 saves. Muller then decided to stay with the hot hand on the 2nd night of a B2B against Philly and that's when he got pulled.

The theory was Ellis would play one of that B2B, especially since it was 3 games in 4 days. Playing the Ottawa game instead of at Philadelphia wasn't a huge surprise to me.

Playing both games of a B2B? That's where I agree with Highway to Cap Hell that things were pushed beyond "Give Cam a break."

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think so, but that game was against Philly and our defense played like crap. We also went with Ellis against our most recent game against Tampa (after Cam's Montreal and Winnipeg debacle) and he let in a bunch a goals in the third but didn't get pulled. While not playing great both times, the team in front of him also laid a giant egg.

The team has also laid a giant egg in front of Ward multiple times, but nothing's said about that. Hell, the Montreal game you referenced is a prime example.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Ward played like garbage in the Montreal game. I don't care if he was good through two periods, he let in two absolutely horrendous goals. The equivalent of what Ward did would be Staal scoring two goals through the first 40 minutes and then taking twelve minor penalties in the third before defecating at center ice in a one-goal game. Actually, no, Ward was worse than that.

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
The team has also laid a giant egg in front of Ward multiple times, but nothing's said about that. Hell, the Montreal game you referenced is a prime example.

Yeah, I agree with you but the Montreal game isn't the best example. It was a 0-0 game going into the third and Cam came out looking like an ECHL goaltender that period.

EDIT: Not sure why I have to go out of my way to defend Cam Ward when I am talking about Ellis to begin with.

Last edited:

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I think Ellis will be fine. He's got alot to prove that he isn't done. Well now's his chance to prove to everyone that he can still play. I thought he made some great saves last night, and this was with him not feeling 100%.

And with everyone saying the Canes are done without Ward. I've never cheered so hard for a goalie tandem then I will for Ellis/Peters.

If this team continues to play like they did against Pittsburgh and this weekend, we should be fine.

I'm going to stay optimistic until Ellis shows me otherwise.

I just hope the team in front of our goalies don't feel sorry for themselves and continue to play the way we know they can.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, I agree with you but the Montreal game isn't the best example. It was a 0-0 game going into the third and Cam came out looking like an ECHL goaltender that period.

EDIT: Not sure why I have to go out of my way to defend Cam Ward when I am talking about Ellis to begin with.

Because you go out of your way to trash Ward.

As for the Montreal game, it was a 0-0 game going into the 3rd because of Ward in the first place. And with the way the team was playing in front of him, it was going to be a loss regardless of how Ward played. Pretty sure the offense put up less than 20 shots against Budaj, most of which were unscreened shots from the outside.

You want to talk about a team laying a goose egg? The Montreal and Washington games were exactly that. No desire to win either of those games.

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Because you go out of your way to trash Ward.

As for the Montreal game, it was a 0-0 game going into the 3rd because of Ward in the first place. And with the way the team was playing in front of him, it was going to be a loss regardless of how Ward played. Pretty sure the offense put up less than 20 shots against Budaj, most of which were unscreened shots from the outside.

You want to talk about a team laying a goose egg? The Montreal and Washington games were exactly that. No desire to win either of those games.

Not true. I've praised Ward here plenty of times when he deserves it, but I'm not afraid of calling him out when his **** stinks. If I say anything negative about Cam here I am going out of my way to trash him? I must be a troll account.

Ducks88

Jan 14, 2013
What´s the story behind Mike Murphy? What did he say last summer before he went to the KHL?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
This team is now relying in a duo that were basically both unwanted by anyone after last year. Ellis signed the AHL PTO and Peters was waived and let go, only to re-sign when both Murphy and Andersen ditched the team. It'll make a nice story if they're successful, but surprise no one if they're not.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Really sorry to hear about Ward for you Caniacs. Just came here to shed some light on an MCL sprain as I recently sprained my right MCL (grade 2, partial tear, not as bad as Ward's). While I'm not a doctor/trainer, I can share my experiences as a goalie and how it may translate. Some of this may be old news/retold info...

The MCL is the ligament on the inside of the knee. When it is torn, it causes major instability when the knee is moved in the direction of the MCL. Basically, your knee can move in 3 directions (forward, backward, outside) fine, but when it moves to the inside, if feels really unstable. "Wonky" is a description I would use...it has a locking in/out of place feeling. Walking is ok, but if you twitch or twist your knee to the inside, it stops you in your tracks, and for me, followed with expletives.

Where it really effects a goalie, as evidenced by Ward's second injury stoppage, is in the butterfly. When you go down in the butterfly, your knees naturally move to the inside, something quite painful if you are down a functioning MCL. T-glides are also tough because although you can push off on the injured leg moving to the left, turning your leg to glide to the right is rough. Kick saves can also be tough since, when the leg is stretched, the knee moves down towards the ice, stressing the MCL.

Rehab will involve balance and mobility exercises to get it back to strengthen the knee and get it to where it was, so you don't constantly favor one leg. Stretching is also important to get the knee back to where it is comfortable moving in all 4 directions.

Hopefully this was informative in someway...wishing Ward a speedy recovery, especially since I have an idea of his pain.

Thanks for the info.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Thanks for dropping by. I'm wondering, will there be lingering effects after recovery? Will he still feel it for a few months or the rest of his life, or will he forget it ever happened after the two months are up? I know you said yours wasn't as bad, but do you recall any lingering effects?

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
probably would be a good idea/time for Mike Murphy to extend an olive branch to the Canes. His future/rights are controlled by Carolina and he hasn't played at all since November.. even if it's just an AHL PTO.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Said Charlotte is where prospects go to die. More or less.

He ain't wrong.

I'm good with Ellis/Peters for two months. The way the defense has been playing lately, it's not like Ward has had to be spectacular; and historically Ellis has always thrived on a bigger workload.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad